Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fair point. I might have looked like that.

Here’s a simple formula to decide if you need the Turbo S:

Count the number of days since you did both of the following in the same week:

a) free climbed somewhere where people regularly die;

b) BASE jumped with a drop of over 200 feet.

If that number is less than 30, then you must get the Turbo S regardless of your financial situation.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
On the Turbo S most options of the Turbo or 4S are standard or much cheaper so the price difference is not as much as people think...

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
On the Turbo S most options of the Turbo or 4S are standard or much cheaper so the price difference is not as much as people think...
The difference still comes out to €50000 in the Norwegian configurator for my spec between a 4s and the Turbo S. Either some people don't know the configurator very well or they are trying to justify spending a lot of money.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
The difference still comes out to €50000 in the Norwegian configurator for my spec between a 4s and the Turbo S. Either some people don't know the configurator very well or they are trying to justify spending a lot of money.
Similarly in Switzerland, I just priced it up and a Turbo S is CHF 59k more than a 4S (231k vs 162k - and 1 CHF = 1 USD more or less). It's an amazing car but the prices are not close, here at least.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Similarly in Switzerland, I just priced it up and a Turbo S is CHF 59k more than a 4S (231k vs 162k - and 1 CHF = 1 USD more or less). It's an amazing car but the prices are not close, here at least.
The difference is bigger here in the US - $81K more for the Turbo S. $34K difference between the Turbo and Turbo S. The difference in ownership cost will be much less if you intend to keep the car for 5 years or so, and if you option out the lower cars to approach what you get as standard equipment on the Turbo.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
The difference is bigger here in the US - $81K more for the Turbo S. $34K difference between the Turbo and Turbo S. The difference in ownership cost will be much less if you intend to keep the car for 5 years or so, and if you option out the lower cars to approach what you get as standard equipment on the Turbo.
I don’t remember exactly but I think there was a 15-20k premium from Turbo to Turbo S with almost identical specs when I was looking (that is what I recall was the cost of the little bit of extra kick). I believe the premium from 4s to Turbo (just drivetrain) was same or larger. So I’d be surprised if a 4s to Turbo S equivalent jump was less then 35k.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
If you option a 4S to include every standard option of the base Turbo S the difference drops to $38,000.

There are several options (like the carbon fiber trim) that cannot be added to the 4S. In addition many of the additional options (paint choices, massaging seats, etc) cost more to add to the 4S versus the Turbo S. If I option a 4S exactly as my Turbo S minus the carbon trim, it's a $36,000 difference.

So if you are optioning a 4S into the $160k's, you have to consider that the depreciation on a highly optioned 4S could be severe. Many of these options do not add a lot of value in the used car market. As a result, if a highly optioned 4S is sold after 3 years, it may end up costing more than a Turbo S sold after 3 years when factoring in depreciation.

I've seen this before with 911s. People buy a highly optioned 911 S/4S that costs almost as much as a 911 Turbo S. The difference in resale after a couple of years in enormous.

It's why Porsche Financial has Maximized Residual MSRP on leases. They cap the MSRP you can lease for certain models. If you option a specific model beyond the cap, you have to pay the remaining amount in cash as a downpayment on the lease. They know that adding options beyond a certain point doesn't help with resale value.

Last edited:

ravisel

First Name
Ravi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got my 4S in April, unfortunately just as the pandemic was kicking in. Took delivery in Seattle where my work is and thankfully decided to drive to Bay area (800 miles) which is where my main home is. It was a fun ride and did not make me feel that I made a mistake not getting Turbo. Acceleration is exhilarating every time you floor it. Top speed was awesome with the only fear of getting a massive speeding ticket. Reached 152 mph. And equally impressive, was the very comfortable ride as I was the lone driver.

So unless you have another $50K throw away money go for the 4S.

Only regret; Not able to drive more due to COVID.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Yeah as the other guy said this is comparing the spec of my own 4S (which is not completely extravagant) with a similar Turbo S.

I think I saw elsewhere that the residual value for a 4S, presumably excluding options, was a higher %age than a Turbo?

Deleted member 1697

I tested both 4S and turbo ...
first : 4S has more room in the trunk !!!! and I miss it

why did I choose the turbo one ?
because I felt the rear gear shifting in the 4S and not in the turbo ! I was afraid to feel that in my turbo. I would try another 4S

what about you ?

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I tested both 4S and turbo ...
first : 4S has more room in the trunk !!!! and I miss it

why did I choose the turbo one ?
because I felt the rear gear shifting in the 4S and not in the turbo ! I was afraid to feel that in my turbo. I would try another 4S

what about you ?
I feel that in my 4s, only when I floor it. I thought that was supposed to happen though. Does that not happen in the turbo or turbo s at all?

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
It does, depends on the shift and firmware.