Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
Wow. The 4S is anything but boring. I have driven both the Turbo and own a 4S, because I found so very little benefit from the huge price differential. The 4S is very responsive, fun to drive and I drive it more than my 2018 911 4S, which is also a lot of fun. I would advise all to buy the 4S and load up the options. You will save $45,000.00 American and will have a heck of a lot of fun.
Sponsored

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
Coming from a 991.2 TTS, I was impressed by the 4S. I got a 0-60 time of 3.6 seconds with launch control which is pretty quick for a 4900 lb car. It didn't leave me wanting for more. The premium package and performance package make a big difference. Innodrive was a waste of an extra thousand dollars. ACC alone is adequate. Dolomite with Bordeaux Red/black. MSRP was $148k.

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
It's silly, it's childish, it's so immature, it's so irresponsible but boy, it's fun!
Every.
Single.
Time.
:)

You can name any excuse: not worth it, not sensible, not my cup of tea, too fast for me, I'll loose my license, fast enough for me, etc but I bet if you had the means you would too.
Stop finding excuses.
And stop competing who has the highest range!
It's a Porsche for crying out loud... :)
Yep. If I had a "normal job" and more regard for the money, I'd have bought the 4S. Plenty for daily driving. But I'm not an old fart yet, and I want to go fast. I like speed. I like launching off the line and I can do it often on the roads where I live. Stop light races are real here. Losing to a Model 3 would really agitate me, and I already own a M3P and couldn't go backwards.

Reactions: Dee

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
As my car is in the shop for a bunch of campaigns and upgrades I was given a frozen blue 4S as a loaner (which I HIGHLY appreciate, last time it was a Macan). It has been a good chance to really compare on a daily situation the "differences" between these two versions.

I have always maintained that the Turbo S (and even the Turbo) is a bit "too much car" for any kind of daily driving. I am not saying a skilled driver can't have some fun, but honestly it is simply too much speed. The launch on the Turbo S is fun, but it hurts. And its not something you can do to passengers without warning, making sure they have no back or neck problems, and tell them to prep. I actually have to be on guard when I have passengers with me.

So driving the 4S it pretty much is what I expected. In almost all situations there really is not much of a difference. It is wicked quick, I can get off the line in normal use faster than is required, I can accelerate, merge and do anything I want during daily driving (and I drive aggressively, not towards others but essentially get from point A to B like I am in a race). The 4S is pretty much identical to the Turbo S.

The only thing I miss (which is a feature that has nothing to do with the Turbo) is the rear wheel steering. With the feature the turning radius of the Taycan is simply insane for a car of that size. It was a bit shocking to do a normal turn I tend to do and run out of space without it and wondering "what is going on?"

When I was almost home I decide to do a mini launch with the 4S. Sure I can tell tis not as painful, but it was NOT slow.

So for what its worth here is one opinion. Get a 4S and add the features that you will use. Get the Turbo or Turbo S only if that kick is important to you, but you won't be using it unless you want to experience that exact effect. And honestly I was more relaxed with the 4S knowing I don't have to be completely on full alert if I am pushing the car.

P.S. The color configurator on Porsche site really needs to be fixed. I almost ordered the , frozen blue initially but seeing it in person I would have been very unhappy. Its a very nice color, but its NOT the color it appeared to be.
I loved the quote about the Frozen Blue, for months I was going for it, no one could tell me where I could see it in person. By accident , having chosen Mamba Green, a Frozen Blue one entered the garage as I was there - boy was I shocked and pleased I hadn't chosen it. As the owner of a 4s I think you are right , on UK roads I can barely use the power the 4s has to it's limit and I certainly don't require any more power.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Yep. If I had a "normal job" and more regard for the money, I'd have bought the 4S. Plenty for daily driving. But I'm not an old fart yet, and I want to go fast. I like speed. I like launching off the line and I can do it often on the roads where I live. Stop light races are real here. Losing to a Model 3 would really agitate me, and I already own a M3P and couldn't go backwards.
More power to you, but as an “old fart” I pick which car I use for what kind of “activity.” I don’t always need to do core workouts while driving....

just saying. ?

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
More power to you, but as an “old fart” I pick which car I use for what kind of “activity.” I don’t always need to do core workouts while driving....

just saying. ?
Haha, fair enough. But I like having the option. I can always go slower, but can't go faster in the 4S. And I can't think of many cars that go faster, so if you aren't going fast in a Taycan, what else is there? :)

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haha, fair enough. But I like having the option. I can always go slower, but can't go faster in the 4S. And I can't think of many cars that go faster, so if you aren't going fast in a Taycan, what else is there? :)
there are different definitions of “fast.” In a straight line only a couple, around a very hairpin turns there are a few options.

also not off the line but when the McLaren or R8 engine kicks in the Porsche will lose....

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I don’t remember exactly but I think there was a 15-20k premium from Turbo to Turbo S with almost identical specs when I was looking (that is what I recall was the cost of the little bit of extra kick). I believe the premium from 4s to Turbo (just drivetrain) was same or larger. So I’d be surprised if a 4s to Turbo S equivalent jump was less then 35k.
Yes, if you spec them out to be as similar as possible, the difference is about 40K between the 4S and Turbo S and about 15-20K between the Turbo and Turbo S. Because options add basically zero to resale, if you're going the full option route, you need to look seriously at moving to the Turbo or Turbo S.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unless the options you are adding are electronic and not driving. I came from a Tesla. I don’t want to do without the high tech bells and whistles. I would not enjoy a stripped down Turbo S as much as a high-tech optioned 4S.

But if you came from a track-ready 911, you might want the Turbo models.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
there are different definitions of “fast.” In a straight line only a couple, around a very hairpin turns there are a few options.

also not off the line but when the McLaren or R8 engine kicks in the Porsche will lose....
That's exactly the thing.
When was the last time you did 300kph?
And when was the last time you were at the traffic lights?
On a track, sure, the Taycan will have a hard time but come on, a family sedan is chasing a hardcore racing car?
I think that's hilarious!
But the guy in the McLaren or R8 isn't laughing, I can tell you that.

Last edited:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag

just saying. ?
but you have a Turbo S.......... just saying :cool:

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
but you have a Turbo S.......... just saying :cool:
Two things:

1) Stop using my words and decisions against me!

2) As my parents would say: do what I say not as I do!

And honestly the Porsche is not my daily driver, it’s a pure toy. I am an EV enthusiast, and this was my first Porsche ever solely because its all electric. If It was going to be my main driver I really would have picked an optioned 4S.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Two things:

1) Stop using my words and decisions against me!

2) As my partners would say: do what I say not as I do!

And honestly the Porsche is not my daily driver, it’s a pure toy. I am an EV enthusiast, and this was my first Porsche ever solely because its all electric. If It was going to be my main driver I really would have picked an optioned 4S.
ROFLMAO!!!
What a lame excuse!
This thread is becoming better and better!
Brilliant! :) :) :)

SusieShoes

First Name
Susie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thank you epirali - excellent but if insight that not many people would have.
Given that I can only afford the 4s, it is really nice to hear. And I think my chances of putting a 4s in the shop and being given a Turbo S to try are... well.... 0. :CWL:
Not entirely true .... My friends 4s is in the Shop and they have a Turbo S loan car :clap: