whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Porsche engineering over tin can brute force of Tesla
What would be interesting to see is an overhead map view showing the two cars racing around the lap lap, i.e. show them virtually racing each other around the track by superimposing their positions on the track on the same timeline. We know the Taycan wins by 2 seconds, but would be nice the difference through the race.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
What would be interesting to see is an overhead map view showing the two cars racing around the lap lap, i.e. show them virtually racing each other around the track by superimposing their positions on the track on the same timeline. We know the Taycan wins by 2 seconds, but would be nice the difference through the race.
It's a 0,44% difference in lap time... it's nothing on the Ring.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I think Tesla used som "Upgrades" to.. In there the video you see race seat, special dash board and more..
Racing seats and rollbar are obliged when doing a record lap.
This is different from Touristenfahrten or manufacturer days.
But I'm sure Tesla was hiding some stuff indeed.
But then again, Porsche made some changes in software too so we don't know.
Let's just celebrate it's an official record. 😁

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It's a 0,44% difference in lap time... it's nothing on the Ring.
Yea, but did they really go head to head, or did the Taycan build a lead and then Tesla caught up, or vice versa, or were they going back and forth throughout the lap? Given Tesla's advantage is in acceleration, you would expect the Tesla to be faster on straightaways and Taycan catching up in the corners, but it would be interesting to see if this is the case.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Yes, the Throttle House guys one was fun - they don't hold back exposing any gremlins. I hadn't realised until recently that Teslas have Brembo brakes, which don't seem to be up to the job on the Plaid.

Meanwhile, the brakes on any Porsche just work, time after time, road or track!
I know the proper brakes get more of a hammering when you're thrashing these cars. But as so much of the braking is coming from the electric motors whatever, isn't it perhaps the case that the Taycan's braking system is overkill (not a bad thing) rather than the Tesla having shitty brakes?

I didn't watch the video, so my bad if they cover that.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I know the proper brakes get more of a hammering when you're thrashing these cars. But as so much of the braking is coming from the electric motors whatever, isn't it perhaps the case that the Taycan's braking system is overkill (not a bad thing) rather than the Tesla having shitty brakes?

I didn't watch the video, so my bad if they cover that.
It's all in the tires.
If you don't have grip, your €10K brakes won't help you.
Same for the recuperation.
In fact, I don't think recuperation is good when doing hot laps, you'll be bringing in even more heat into the battery...
Maybe Porsche deactivated that too, who knows...

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
It's all in the tires.
If you don't have grip, your €10K brakes won't help you.
Same for the recuperation.
In fact, I don't think recuperation is good when doing hot laps, you'll be bringing in even more heat into the battery...
Maybe Porsche deactivated that too, who knows...
True - but without top suspension and brakes - the best tyres ain't worth much - your car will not be able to exploit them fully. The car is as fast as the weakest link in the driver-power-weight-aero-grip-reliability chain.

Reactions: Dee

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yea, but did they really go head to head, or did the Taycan build a lead and then Tesla caught up, or vice versa, or were they going back and forth throughout the lap? Given Tesla's advantage is in acceleration, you would expect the Tesla to be faster on straightaways and Taycan catching up in the corners, but it would be interesting to see if this is the case.

Here's a side by side video comparison of the plaid and the turbo laps from a while back. Notice the big difference in the steering inputs by each driver. The turbo is steady and calm, while the tesla driver is furiously correcting the steering inputs in almost every corner. Based on the way the tesla slid through apexes, that tesla driver either has huge b****s or he was s****ing his pants. Or both.
Sponsored