ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
See a Taycan Turbo S take on the Ring again. I would not attempt to comment on the quality of 4 drivers or how rigged it is. The GT3 has a higher top speed and much lower weight so I can't see how it would be taken on this track.

Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs 911 GT3, AMG GT R, M2 at the Nürburgring nordschleife
L'argus

Translated video preface
Embark on a Nürburgring tour aboard the 100% electric Porsche Taycan Turbo S! During this touristenfahrten session, we had to let the batteries cool after a tour and a half of nordschleife. All the explanations and the detailed test here:
And for those who read French:
https://www.largus.fr/actualite-aut...s-une-electrique-au-nurburgring-10355405.html
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Judging from his hitting the marks almost perfectly with just the right amount of tire squeal, I would say the Taycan driver is definitely a pro.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I wonder what happened on that video when the car started slowing down because the battery got too warm? I thought the Taycan could handle this, since it can repeat Launch Control several times?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wonder what happened on that video when the car started slowing down because the battery got too warm? I thought the Taycan could handle this, since it can repeat Launch Control several times?
They stated in video and on web site I posted that it did have thermal issues after 1.5 laps of hard driving.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
I wondered the same thing. Last year on the Nardo track the Taycan ran at high speed for 24 hours straight presumably without any thermal limitations so I wonder if there was a specific issue with that car...

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wondered the same thing. Last year on the Nardo track the Taycan ran at high speed for 24 hours straight presumably without any thermal limitations so I wonder if there was a specific issue with that car...
I agree that Nardo run was high speed but it was a constant high speed for efficiency and time as it is just a loop. The Nurburgring has many decelerations and accelerations and that is what heats the battery and motors. Even the 26 launches done by Jonny Smith had one break in the middle and then he had those full decelerations so it is not as intense as tracking at the Ring. I'm not saying Porsche won't tweak the behavior or that they were running the car in an optimal setting but it is different than anything that I have seen before in terms of continuous stress.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They stated in video and on web site I posted that it did have thermal issues after 1.5 laps of hard driving.
Yes I saw that, but it surprised me. The Taycan was tested at the Ring quite a lot last year. And the videos from that did not look like they were nursing the cars around?

would be nice to know the reason. Maybe he charged between the laps and thus got too much heat in batteries before the start of the second lap?
I am surprised that it happened.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I saw that, but it surprised me. The Taycan was tested at the Ring quite a lot last year. And the videos from that did not look like they were nursing the cars around?

would be nice to know the reason. Maybe he charged between the laps and thus got too much heat in batteries before the start of the second lap?
I am surprised that it happened.
I was a bit surprised as well, I was not sure they were doing back to back laps. Or maybe they are still tweaking the thermal management. I personally think that they can crank up the cooling to deal with this. But first fix the 12v battery discharge issue and such. I worry not that Porsche can address the thermal limits. Maybe driver was not in Sport+ where it does more extreme thermal management.

I also wanted to add that the Nurburgring is a 13 mile course, so 1 and 1/2 laps would be about 20 miles whereas a tract like Laguna Seca is only 2.2 miles do you could do 9 laps before seeing this, if you even would as you could seldom floor the car on that small track.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes the Ring is a very tough track.

The fact that it is such a tough and demanding test for the cars is why most sports cars test their cars there. That is the yardstick. And so has Porsche and they set a very decent rack time compare£ to many high powered ICE sports and track focussed sports cars! And it is a sports sedan!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
See a Taycan Turbo S take on the Ring again. I would not attempt to comment on the quality of 4 drivers or how rigged it is. The GT3 has a higher top speed and much lower weight so I can't see how it would be taken on this track.
Did they give a track time for this run?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did they give a track time for this run?
I didn't see any details. If it was a public day then they cannot take timings and certainly not posted them without getting into big trouble.

MassDriver

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6
Country flag
That's def disappointing, reminiscent of the Tesla's Model S endurance issues at the 'Ring which were addressed in the Model 3. Just from the rough math it sounds like 12ish minutes on full boil before you'd need to back off. Be interesting to see how the lapping crowd fares when some folks start doing track days with them...
Sponsored