Taycan Turbo S vs. Model S Plaid - really by this much!?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
If you don't feel the shifting, you either got the "special edition", or I want some of what you're smoking.
In my regular driving, the car never shifts gear. Even when I do launch control, I can barley feel the shifting. How anybody can describe that as violent is beyond me. :idea: Well, maybe in an RWD it is more noticeable.
Sponsored

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your argument is on this level:

1631845879895.png

When I look out of the window, all I see is skyscrapers. Therefore, China disrupted the building industry and now the whole world is building skyscrapers. Without China, you would still sit in a little wood shed. :giggle:

It's just another fanboy lie! We discussed it so often.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/omg-elon-really-does-lie.6448/post-92644

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/omg-elon-really-does-lie.6448/post-93213

When Bosch introduced CAN into the car in 1986, software got ever more complex. This is a long running trend and has nothing to do with T. So again more fanboy garbage!
You realize that even Diess has credited Tesla? It's a widely held opinion - not a new argument of mine.

I'm not talking about software being introduced... but I'm sensing I'm getting nowhere with this... nevermind... you can stay over there, I'll stay happy over here.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In my regular driving, the car never shifts gear. Even when I do launch control, I can barley feel the shifting. How anybody can describe that as violent is beyond me. :idea: Well, maybe in an RWD it is more noticeable.
So, you never use sport mode to accelerate past 60-70mph?
You never drive in normal/range and then accelerate more than just a bit?

Interesting. Not how I drive my daily driver... but to each their own.
That does explain why you don't feel it.

I love the suspension, I love the steering.
But the transmission pisses me off.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My Taycan is a better "car" than my Tesla Model S was, but it isn't a better EV.
Really? Considering that the boot space enough and that I don't need a fart app or a browser - my Taycan is better in any aspect, particularly the EV part!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this is 100% opposite my experience and opposite for anyone who has ridden with me in the vehicle - the shift is noticeable and to me is an abomination.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
this is 100% opposite my experience and opposite for anyone who has ridden with me in the vehicle - the shift is noticeable and to me is an abomination.
Perhaps Taycans improved over time? When I test drove the Taycan 4S when it first came out, the shifting was violent and way to often, which made the the car feel very "jerky". I remember thinking even if they had a CT back then, I would have had to try hard to convince myself to buy it. When I test drove a 2021 Taycan 4S (or 2022 perhaps, it was new about a month ago), the ride was MUCH smoother, the shifting happened less and was much less violent. The improvement was one of the things which convinced me to buy a Taycan (that and the availability of the CT). All that said, I would still prefer no shifting at all.

PS> Another thing which I felt was horrible in original Taycan was hill hold (I had a rather extended test drive, so tried a bunch of things). It seemed like an amateur software project, the brakes went from full-on to full-off with a laud thump and the car immediately rolled backwards. I tried again in the 2021 version, MUCH improved. I was happy to see Porsche is improving their product offering.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You realize that even Diess has credited Tesla? It's a widely held opinion - not a new argument of mine.
Just more fanboy BS! He was marketing to the fanboys. After all he has to fulfill sales quotas in China and hit CO2 targets in the EU.

Go and download the annual report of VW and look at the numbers. Then you will see, that this keeps Diess up at night: "Due to lack of main control chips, FAW Audi has decided to temporarily halt the production of the A4L, A6L, and Q5L, and are expected to restore production in the first quarter of next year" These are the bread and butter selling cars for Audi in China.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just resigned myself to reading this entire thread. OK I stopped reading and started skimming about half way through. There are three types of people posting on this thread:

1) Taycan owners who love their car
2) Soon to be Taycan owners who will soon love their car
3) Everyone else

For types 1 and 2, why oh why are you even bothering to respond to posts from type 3?

Put me in bucket 1. I loved my Model S P85 when I bought it in 2012. I was sad to see it go in 2020. It's still an amazing car, beautiful, drives well. It's no Porsche though, and Tesla's customer service declined significantly to the point where knowing what I know today, I would no longer want to be an owner. But I have respect for much of their technology.

I guess it all depends on the track and how fast you're going. These are fun things to argue about, but in the end, to be honest, I don't care. Most consumers have never been on a track and won't go. I'd personally never track an electric car... it doesn't do it for me. Don't care how fast, for me: electric for the street, ICE for track.
You really should try a track day with a Taycan (or Model 3 Performance). Not saying there aren't significant drawbacks / obstacles, but the finesse of the throttle control, easy to control trail braking using regen, poise from the low center of gravity, the instant torque as you pass a car weighing half what you weigh coming out of a turn. I could go on. If you like rollercoasters, one rollercoaster ridden over and over might be fun, but multiple rollercoasters is even better. But the obstacles mean an electric car is not your track car.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To the extent you can drive a Taycan on a track, I guess it's a track car. But it has the same fundamental problem of all EV's. Potentially lots of power but It's too heavy.

Need to wait for a future incarnation that weighs a lot less. Then the car will get a lot quicker.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
To the extent you can drive a Taycan on a track, I guess it's a track car. But it has the same fundamental problem of all EV's. Potentially lots of power but It's too heavy.

Need to wait for a future incarnation that weighs a lot less. Then the car will get a lot quicker.
All true. It's heavy. But it's surprisingly quick despite it's weight. If Porsche could get, say, 1500 lbs out of the car, it would be an absolute beast!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All true. It's heavy. But it's surprisingly quick despite it's weight. If Porsche could get, say, 1500 lbs out of the car, it would be an absolute beast!
Tethered drag race mode? Drop the battery, hook up a quarter mile extension cable instead? Or perhaps special drag strips with overhead power sliders, like city trolleys. ?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They also introduced OTA, the notion that cars can have decent entertainment/media software, phone as a key, decent apps for a car, mobile service, decent supercharging network, in the US: kicking the rotten dealers out of the mix (that alone, in my book, is worth their existence - for now others like Rivian and Lucid are following)... the list goes on.
When Bosch introduced CAN into the car in 1986, software got ever more complex. This is a long running trend and has nothing to do with T. So again more fanboy garbage!
Wait, so you're saying Porsche is ahead of Tesla as far as OTA, leading as opposed to following? So why are all those people on this forum reporting they have to wait to go to the dealer to update their software. Is your claim then that all these people just Porsche Tesla fanbuys spreading misinformation about Porsche OTA capabilities, while in fact all Porsches are getting OTA updates and there is no need to go to the dealer to update any software? Or are you saying having to go to the dealer to get software updated is the next level of OTA that poor Tesla, which still just sends the software updates directly to the cars via LTE, has not reached yet (but some day they will, because they are following Porsche)?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Wait, so you're saying Porsche is ahead of Tesla as far as OTA, leading as opposed to following? So why are all those people on this forum reporting they have to wait to go to the dealer to update their software. Is your claim then that all these people just Porsche Tesla fanbuys spreading misinformation about Porsche OTA capabilities, while in fact all Porsches are getting OTA updates and there is no need to go to the dealer to update any software? Or are you saying having to go to the dealer to get software updated is the next level of OTA that poor Tesla, which still just sends the software updates directly to the cars via LTE, has not reached yet (but some day they will, because they are following Porsche)?
Never said that! When I installed Windows 3.11, there were no OTA, now any OS you install, the first thing is to get all the latest OTA updates.

The more complex software systems get, the more bugs, the more updates. It was coming to cars anyway. Where is the disruption? Whenever T does something, it is the next wonder of the world. :giggle:

Funnily enough. My MS90D (I know it is old garbage), the software tells me there is an OTA. But the SIM and mobile module only does 3G in our 5G city. It therefore does not download the OTA update, but requests from me to hook up to a WiFi. I don't have WiFi in my basement car park. I could fiddle with my phone, but not very fast. I could find some place with public open WiFi, not necessarily secure. Maybe best to stop by a T service center. :whew:

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Never said that! When I installed Windows 3.11, there were no OTA, now any OS you install, the first thing is to get all the latest OTA updates.

The more complex software systems get, the more bugs, the more updates. It was coming to cars anyway. Where is the disruption? Whenever T does something, it is the next wonder of the world. :giggle:
Ah, so your point was that OTA was inevitable for cars, I can agree with that. Electrification probably also inevitable at some point. BUT, somehow those inevitable things just came to Tesla first, and you know what, they did motivate the rest of the industry to get there quicker so they could compete. So yes, eventually Porsche would have probably made an EV, but it it wasn't for Tesla, it might have not happened for another 50 years.

Funnily enough. My MS90D (I know it is old garbage), the software tells me there is an OTA. But the SIM and mobile module only does 3G in our 5G city. It therefore does not download the OTA update, but requests from me to hook up to a WiFi. I don't have WiFi in my basement car park. I could fiddle with my phone, but not very fast. I could find some place with public open WiFi, not necessarily secure. Maybe best to stop by a T service center. :whew:
Tesla changed their OTA policy to update via cellular only for safety critical updates and warranty risk avoidance updates (which by the way include the updates which nerf your battery). All the rest of them you have to do via WiFi. A wild suggestion if you don't have WiFi where you park, your phone can act as an access point and Tesla can download using that while you are driving (and it will even stop and resume if you leave the car in the middle of the update). Beyond the OTA updates though, if I was you I would update the modem if you have no 3G coverage where you drive your Tesla so you can get services like maps showing on the main screen. Interesting thing, in the USA Tesla stopped shipping 3G modems before they made 90D's, perhaps where you live they used up their old supplies on S90D's first? In any case, a modem update in the USA is $200, which should be a worth while update, especially that S90D would have come with free connectivity/data plan for life, which transfers to the new modem (unless car was resold as CPO by Tesla in the last couple of years).
Sponsored