Taycan Turbo S vs. Model S Plaid - really by this much!?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
So you are saying that the comments on Drivetribe or any other car forum (Jalopnik, Car Throttle etc) aren't real?
Ok.
It's not an opinion, it's just what "car lovers" say on forums/groups.
I'm sorry, it's just what I read, nothing made up to prove my point, look it up if you don't believe me. ?
Once there was even a topic why there was so much hate on Tesla.??‍♂
It's real.
I'm sorry.
You can find both love and hate for Tesla online - quite a lot of both. Until Taycan, a Model S was much more fun to drive every day. Even when the Taycan first came out, I didn't like it as much because it was not practical as only car with a family (CT solved that) and the very first Taycan was rather rough to drive, the gear shifting was jarring and unpleasant, hill hold sucked - all issues solved/smoothed out in 2021 model I drove recently. I used to have a 911C4 in the past, loved the car, but Model S was more fun for me as a daily driver, or even coast to coast cruiser. I'm switching to Porsche because they finally have a competing product, and because being a Tesla customer has a number of down sides since the Model 3/Y came out. When people ask me, I tell them Tesla's are a dream to drive, but can be pain to own - their parts and service capabilities have been declining over the years, Tesla does not communicate with customers, sometimes treats customers like crap, other times rips them off (like shipping a 691hp P85D which it took Tesla a couple of years to admin that only the motor was capable of that, but the rest of the car, including the battery fuse, limited it to 463hp). Notice that people who have never owned a Tesla don't see the pain of dealing with Tesla, so they will generally have more love for them. That, and I cannot get over the yoke with all touch controls.
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla has rightly earned a lot of its customers faith for being the first high performing EV available with a number of nice advancements. It took Porsche over 7 years to get into the game, and pretty much everything in between the Tesla and taycan sucked.

however Tesla won’t remain aspirational for too many more years. They’re hell bent on shipping a million units a year and dream of two. Trucks and low cost < $25k models. You can’t stay aspirational if everyone has one.

We can argue about what kind of car, if any, the kids think is cool in 5 years. It won’t be the American EV version of a Camry.

ORZOWEI

First Name
ORZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P100D - Taycan Turbo S (2021)
Country flag
No, defenately not.
A Tesla is not a dream car.
A Porsche is.
Ask anyone: "what would you love to own: a Tesla or a Porsche?".
I'll wait...
Believe it or not, I also own a Model X P100D, and in some aspects, it´s better than the Taycan. Also Tesla is much better now than before in every aspect, and many people today prefer Tesla above Porsche...

The dream car could be a combination of both brands, with the driving dynamics and design of Porsche and the technology of Tesla, but as it doesn´t exist yet, the only "solution" is driving both of them.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
A Tesla is not a dream car.
I think it is, at least for a lot of the people that actually buy it; and that’s kind of my problem with it.

If I see someone in a Tesla, I assume they wanted a Tesla; that they sought out a Tesla.

I don’t have the same thought if I see them in a Jetta or a Camry.

And that’s why I would be embarrassed to say I own one. Because others would think I actually wanted that car.

ORZOWEI

First Name
ORZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would be embarrassed to tell anyone I owned a Tesla. I would actively hide it until I sold the “vehicle” as quickly as possible and the words were no longer true.
Probably that is because you don´t own one...

I prefer my Tesla as everyday car, and my Taycan for the weekends and track days. The infotainment system of the Tesla is years ahead of PCM, and those automatic doors should be mandatory for a car of 200K+ €$ (the doors of the Model X are second to none...)

And you can play games, surf the net, watch Youtube or Netflix, listen to Spotify Premium (all for free in my car).

You don´t have nothing like that in any Porsche car yet, and sometimes is very welcome to have it.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
however Tesla won’t remain aspirational for too many more years. They’re hell bent on shipping a million units a year and dream of two. Trucks and low cost < $25k models. You can’t stay aspirational if everyone has one.
This. I wouldn't be surprised if the Model S and X eventually just fade away. Another possibility is Tesla creates a more premium division just like every other legacy car maker.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably that is because you don´t own one...
?

I can’t find an emoji that accurately indicates how hard I’m rolling my eyes, so that one will have to do.

And you can play games, surf the net, watch Youtube or Netflix, listen to Spotify Premium (all for free in my car).
I don’t want or need to do that on my car’s hardware. I have a phone that does all of those things just fine.
You don´t have nothing like that in any Porsche car yet, and sometimes is very welcome to have it.
Yes I do. On my phone (which is in my car…?). Which I use for those purposes. And also take with me when I leave the car. WTF do I need to watch Netflix or play a crappy game on the infotainment screen for? ?‍♂

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I think it is, at least for a lot of the people that actually buy it; and that’s kind of my problem with it.

If I see someone in a Tesla, I assume they wanted a Tesla; that they sought out a Tesla.

I don’t have the same thought if I see them in a Jetta or a Camry.

And that’s why I would be embarrassed to say I own one. Because others would think I actually wanted that car.

Weird, so if you own anything other than a Tesla, you didn't want it and just fell ass backwards into the car you're driving? Did the hypothetical Camry just show up to the drivers door, and they just shrugged their shoulders and said "whatever, okay I'll drive this".

Not sure what is so embarrassing about a Tesla. TBH the only cars I find embarrassing to be seen in are mini-vans.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Weird, so if you own anything other than a Tesla, you didn't want it and just fell ass backwards into the car you're driving? Did the hypothetical Camry just show up to the drivers door, and they just shrugged their shoulders and said "whatever, okay I'll drive this".
No not anything. That’s not at all what I said. But thanks for playing.

I don’t think of a Camry or Jetta (or a number of other cars; but not all other cars) as aspirational cars. Maybe they are for some people. I’m not excluding it. I’m just saying that not what I think when I see them.

And yeah, I do think people more or less fell into them if that’s what they’re driving. Or at least I doubt they’re very passionate about it. Not like someone who seeks out a Tesla.

And that’s the difference. Sorry if that’s hard for you to understand.

ORZOWEI

First Name
ORZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
?

I can’t find an emoji that accurately indicates how hard I’m rolling my eyes, so that one will have to do.

I don’t want or need to do that on my car’s hardware. I have a phone that does all of those things just fine.

Yes I do. On my phone (which is in my car…?). Which I use for those purposes. And also take with me when I leave the car. WTF do I need to watch Netflix or play a crappy game on the infotainment screen for? ?‍♂
Your phone doesn´t have a 17" screen, and the new games in Teslas are not "crappy". You can play with a Xbox controller for example while charging the car on route.

Obviously you can also play with an Ipad for example, but you need a stand and the experience clearly is not the best...
To have all of that integrated on the infotainment system is simply great.
I miss all of that in my Taycan many times, and for the price, I think you should be able to open a web browser or play Youtube with a connected car...

I love Porsche and also love Tesla, my love is enough for both brands, but no one is perfect, that´s all!

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
And that’s the difference. Sorry if that’s hard for you to understand.
Hmmm, not really, but I also don't think Tesla driver's are what you think they are. For the last decade, options for an EV are limited. People bought them because that's the only choice they had. Look how many folks here had Tesla's and converted to a Taycan because the option was available. We are going to see more trickle over to the EQE/EQS and several previous Tesla owners are now Mach E owners.

Die hard Tesla fan boys exist, just like with any automotive brand, but a lot of their business was generated by a decade of being the only business in town, which is no longer the case.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmmm, not really, but I also don't think Tesla driver's are what you think they are. For the last decade, options for an EV are limited. People bought them because that's the only choice they had. Look how many folks here had Tesla's and converted to a Taycan because the option was available. We are going to see more trickle over to the EQE/EQS and several previous Tesla owners are now Mach E owners.

Die hard Tesla fan boys exist, just like with any automotive brand, but a lot of their business was generated by a decade of being the only business in town, which is no longer the case.
Every year we keep hearing "here is the Tesla killer..."

Even with other EV options, Tesla has kept a substantial mind- and marketshare.

Most Model 3 and Model Y drivers will tell you, they are decent cars that have substantial strengths vs. their competitors (BMW 3 series, etc. but also ID.4 and ID.3, Polestar 2, Audie Etron, MB EQC).

I really think people are overly focused on the "this car runs on batteries" part and miss that a lot of what people like about Tesla isn't strictly about that.

My Taycan is not a strictly better car than my Tesla. Far from it.
They are both cars that have some marked strengths but also some very clear flaws.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
That's one of the problems with Tesla: they spend their time developing 'cool' features like fart mode, games and cool pictures of the car in 3D.

But these stupid things take away resources from things which really matter, like making their auto steer work reliably. All you need is one bad auto steer reaction and you could end up dead. Give me safe auto steer; I don't need fart noises, games, YouTube or Netflix.

I've had three things happen to me while using auto steer on my Tesla model Y: twice the car went from auto steer to adaptive cruise control (which could have caused me to get into an accident had I not been keeping my hands on the wheel) and once the car braked abruptly without any cause. And this was in the 10,000 miles I have on my car.

Besides scaring the crap out of me, the Tesla is fine to drive.

I just wish Tesla would talk less and do more: less boasting about how great their self driving will be and great long their range is. The range is crap (most weeks I get around 200 miles on an 85% charge compared with the 300+ miles they sold me on) and their self driving is scary.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Every year we keep hearing "here is the Tesla killer..."

Even with other EV options, Tesla has kept a substantial mind- and marketshare.

Most Model 3 and Model Y drivers will tell you, they are decent cars that have substantial strengths vs. their competitors (BMW 3 series, etc. but also ID.4 and ID.3, Polestar 2, Audie Etron, MB EQC).

I really think people are overly focused on the "this car runs on batteries" part and miss that a lot of what people like about Tesla isn't strictly about that.

My Taycan is not a strictly better car than my Tesla. Far from it.
They are both cars that have some marked strengths but also some very clear flaws.
Oh for sure. TBH until a company goes full EV and dedicates 100% of their R&D and production to EV's, Tesla is going to continue to have a huge leg up. At least now we have companies making more than just a single token mediocre EV model that dealers don't like selling, and we are seeing some real effort.

As someone that has owned a couple Tesla's myself, I definitely understand the appeals. My Taycan is a better "car" than my Tesla Model S was, but it isn't a better EV. As you said, they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Its been confirmed that tech means infotainment screen.

When you go to a Tesla showroom, everyone is playing with the infotainment screen, not much else. When I'm in a Tesla, all i did was play with the screen. The subsequent Test drive is a 0-60 launch.

Everyone wants something different out of a car. For me, the screen is very low on the list and I have a software company. For others it means a lot more.

For me personally, I look at cars differently. I know it cost more to build a car properly and cheaper to make high resolution graphics. The last time I sat in a Model 3, I immediately walked out just from the seats.

Engineering gets me excited, gimmicks and graphics don't.
Sponsored