Taycan Turbo S vs. Model S Plaid - really by this much!?

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag

PorschePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Audi Q7
Country flag
For me 0-60 times are overrated but I’ve never been the type that cared much about that. Don’t get me wrong I like fast cars. I just care more about how a car handles real world driving with the twists and turns that come with it. I have more fun taking corners at high speed than I do accelerating in a straight line.

It should also be noted that the Tesla’s ability to maintain performance with multiple launches or runs of 0-60 is limited. The Taycan was built to replicate the performance over and over. Not trying to be a hater by any means the 0-60 time of the Plaid is incredible. We are all different and value different factors as drivers good to have options!

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Modern automotive platforms are massive multi-year undertakings requiring huge amounts of capital. I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with the taycan. It was state of the art in 2019. The model 3 was in 2017. The model S in 2012. The plaid is in 2021. It took Tesla 2 years to beat the taycan. All pretty typical of tech competition.

it does put Porsche in a tough spot. they were almost certainly planning on a 4-5 year cycle. Leaving the taycan in this spot competitively for 2 more years will be rough. But you can’t just throw another motor in. The plaid has been in development for a long time and the rest of the chassis has been changed to work with the third engine.

My wag is Porsche doesn‘t significantly alter its product plans. Tesla did exactly this in 2019 after all.

interesting times ahead.

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Chalk with Stealth wrap
Country flag
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-faster-than-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-2021-8

I can’t see myself ever leaving the ultimate refinement of Porsche for a car that feels like a Kia with a lot of power (test drove Model 3, S, X all felt like I went back 15 years in quality)… but yikes this is almost embarrassing!
As others have noted here, this is not an apples to apples comparison. IMO, a Taycan should not be compared to a Tesla- they are each targeted at different audiences and their build qualities are vastly different. Teslas are like chromebooks and Taycans are like Macbooks!

FLGolfer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
300 more horsepower and several hundred Pounds lighter so no real surprise but still looks, smells and rattles like every other Tesla I’ve owned. I love the Taycan
I owned both a Tesla P85D and P100D. I now own a 2021 Taycan Turbo S. I never had a rattle with either Teslas. My right rear door on the Taycan rattles, and it drives me crazy. I'm not the only one, read forum complaints, so rattles are not limited to Tesla.
The Taycan has a much nicer interior, as well as superior styling and choice of colors. Tesla is light years ahead of Porsche in features, and over the air updates.
Different cars. Both have their +s and -s.

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
Totally agree with all that’s been said!! Thanks for the wisdom and comments.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I am not saying the Tesla Plaid would not beat the Taycan, but take a look at 3:21, is it just me, or does the Tesla start rolling on a yellow before the green?

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
to me, this line

"I've driven fast cars before, but this one I could really feel," the driver said. "Not everybody can handle this."

says it all (italics mine for emphasis). Unfortunately a lot of people that won't be able to handle it will buy it anyway .... and then the fun will begin.....

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
For me 0-60 times are overrated but I’ve never been the type that cared much about that. Don’t get me wrong I like fast cars. I just care more about how a car handles real world driving with the twists and turns that come with it. I have more fun taking corners at high speed than I do accelerating in a straight line.
Agreed!

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

It should also be noted that the Tesla’s ability to maintain performance with multiple launches or runs of 0-60 is limited. They Taycan was built to replicate the performance over and over. Not trying to be a hater by any means the 0-60 time of the Plaid is incredible. We are all different and value different factors as drivers good to have options!
0-60 times are clearly important to a good fraction of Porsche Taycan drivers, since that's a substantial reason to buy a Turbo S vs. Turbo or a Turbo vs. a 4s. And in general, Porsche (as do all German OEMs) uses 0-60 times as a major differentiator between their models and submodels. They aren't doing that for fun - it's because they know customers care.

As for the repeatability, time will tell. Early indications are that Tesla addressed this in the Plaid.
Different battery cooling, different chemistry, different motors, 2x the radiator surface area.
These cars are handling 7+ quarter mile runs without issues. The pikes peak race had a modified Plaid, but one that apparently had no changes to cooling or battery pack or drive unit. And it did very well. It will be interesting to see production Plaid on Laguna Seca and Nurburgring.

They are definitely not standing still.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I guess I dont really care because faster acceleration alone wouldn't make me want to buy the Tesla. Selfishly, I hope this does dissuade many potential Taycan buyers forcing Porsche to lower their prices or be less draconian with their std equipment :). (yeah I know its never gonna happen).

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I agree with this…once you get to 3.0 seconds for 0-60, laws of diminishing returns really start to kick in, IMO. But Plaid’s pull from 60-130 is damn impressive.
Sponsored