Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I gotta keep myself honest on the range and MPGe. The Taycan Turbo is slightly better in range than the E Tron S....I had been referencing the regular E Tron!

E Tron S:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo vs Audi E-Tron S Prestige Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 10.49.44 AM

Taycan Turbo:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo vs Audi E-Tron S Prestige Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 10.50.39 AM

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I agree on the roof rails - think I have used them once years ago. With an SUV at least they dont look completely out of place.
I agree. Had some on an S3 (that I didn’t choose but got a massive discount on, long story), and I ended up hating the look and of course: never ever using them

My taste of course, but I'm not a fan of the Sportback. I've tried. I think it looks like an SUV going through a mid life crisis.
100% with this comment. I absolutely hate the SUV fastbacks. A BMW X6 being a particularly pet hate of mine 🤮

I get the E-torn as a car, but would never consider one over a Taycan as it’s just not in the same class of vehicle imo

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Agree on 'Sportbacks'!

Totally different cars
I have both and love both - No rails on either car

My Etron is the base 50 with NO(!) Extras and feeble range (never got 200 miles even in summer - 150 at moment) but I don't mind as it doesn't usually go far and if it does it doesn't charge as fast at peak as a Taycan but has a flatter charge curve so fast enough. Finishes charging before back from cafe and toilet

Also it was £20k cheaper than a base Taycan and unlike Taycan came as standard with........
4 years servicing
Pod Point Home Charger
4WD
Air Suspension
20' wheels
Decent Stereo with Sub woofer
3 proper rear seats
Partition net
Dimming mirrors
Folding mirrors
Adjustable Lumbar
Charging cable (which is Taycan compatible)

They are the perfect electric combo

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
They are the perfect electric combo
We're of the same mindset here. Our first EV was an e-tron (non-S). It replaced a 23 year old Grand Cherokee, but my wife quickly adopted it as her daily driver. Within two months she was amenable to test driving the Taycan and Audi e-tron GT. Here we are now with an e-tron and a Taycan Turbo.

As a person who loathes SUV's and light trucks, as a general rule, and has never been "grown up enough" to own a 4-door car as a daily driver, I liked the e-tron a LOT more than I expected I would. I very much enjoy not supporting the economies of oil-producing regions that hate us and require regular military intervention in order to maintain stable pricing.

The e-tron handled better than any SUV I'd ever driven...to the point where I didn't mind driving it instead of my C7 Corvette. The utility is what it is....no different than any other SUV out there. The styling is nice, for an SUV (they all tend to look the same to me). The acceleration is adequate, for what it is and the role it's designed for.

The Taycan Turbo though is simply in a completely different league as far as driving experience goes. It still has too many doors for my tastes, but now that I've taken over the e-tron as my daily driver/airport commuter car and retired my Corvette to fun weekend drives when I want to shift gears and support oppressive regimes, I'm finding myself wondering how long I'll enjoy using the e-tron as a daily driver. I'm finally driving it enough that I'm finding the limits of its handling ability.

Now if Porsche...or anyone...would build a 2-door EV with a manual transmission of some sort...

In a couple of years I'll be cross shopping the Dodge Charger Daytona, Porsche Cayman EV, and anything else that seems interesting EV-wise...including considering adding another Taycan to our fleet. It's that good.

Then we can use the e-tron in the role I originally intended...as a backup/utility vehicle for hauling the dog and other stuff when necessary.

These two vehicles really are a great combination. I can't haul 900 pounds of concrete mix in the Taycan. Maybe the Cross Turismo version. 🤔

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo vs Audi E-Tron S Prestige Concrete Mix in Audi

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Now if Porsche...or anyone...would build a 2-door EV with a manual transmission of some sort...

In a couple of years I'll be cross shopping the Dodge Charger Daytona, Porsche Cayman EV, and anything else that seems interesting EV-wise...including considering adding another Taycan to our fleet. It's that good.

Then we can use the e-tron in the role I originally intended...as a backup/utility vehicle for hauling the dog and other stuff when necessary.

These two vehicles really are a great combination. I can't haul 900 pounds of concrete mix in the Taycan. Maybe the Cross Turismo version. 🤔
The Taycan Cross Turismo is a good compromise, for me, for pretty sporty driving feel with good space for the dog or anything bigger I may wish to carry around - and I only need this capability very infrequently.

I find an estate car (station wagon), whilst less fashionable, more practical than any SUV in terms of internal to external space ratio, and, of course, the smaller frontal area is a big gain in drag and the layout lends itself to a more aerodynamic shape anyway so a win-win.
I don’t think I’ll ever need anything bigger than te Taycan CT myself.

When it comes to sports cars though I am still totally unconvinced by EVs.
Whilst one of the major benefits of an EV drive train is no need of clutch or multi ratio gearbox that takes quite a lot of satisfaction away from sports car driving IME, and, unless your only interest in vehicle performance is as a dragster, the weight of an EV means I don’t see the arrival of an EV real sports car any time soon.

Also, whilst smooth silence is a great thing in normal motoring IMO, a sports car benefits from the sound of an IC engine as well as 3 pedals and a multi-ratio gearbox so I am not envisaging any EV appealing to me at all as a 2-seater. I don’t even like most modern flappy paddle gearboxed electronic driver aid ridden turbocharged “sports cars” of today meaning anybody can easily drive them ;)

My choice has a normally aspirated, therefore great sounding, engine and limited slip diff, the rest is down to me :)

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Pffft. I’d wait for the E Tron S Line Prestige Premium Sportline TSI RS Rennline Edition.

Audi’s naming stupidity is only eclipsed by BMW’s X3 M40i S LineXxi nonsense.
I think Porsche is guilty of stupid names too.
Turbo 911s (all of them) with no Turbo badge except the Turbo - That's clear then.
Electric car with Turbo badge?
Performance Battery or Performance Battery+ - As clear as mud.
I would like a Porsche Carrera in Carrara white - Different spelling effing ridiculous.
Sport/Cross Turismo Torismo Tourismo? - Often spelt wrong - even on a geek forum.
Stupid names however you spell them.
Chalk or Crayon - Chalk and Crayons come in any colour you like...?
Comfort Access/Comfort Entry causes endless confusion.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think Porsche is guilty of stupid names too.
Turbo 911s (all of them) with no Turbo badge except the Turbo - That's clear then.
Electric car with Turbo badge?
Performance Battery or Performance Battery+ - As clear as mud.
I would like a Porsche Carrera in Carrara white - Different spelling effing ridiculous.
Sport/Cross Turismo Torismo Tourismo? - Often spelt wrong - even on a geek forum.
Stupid names however you spell them.
Chalk or Crayon - Chalk and Crayons come in any colour you like...?
Comfort Access/Comfort Entry causes endless confusion.
Don't forget preheat, prewarm and precondition 😁

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Carrera = Spanish for "race" (specifically in Porsche Heritage, the Carrera Panamericana).
Carrara = Italian city, a notable source of a white marble that carries its name.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Carrera = Spanish for "race" (specifically in Porsche Heritage, the Carrera Panamericana).
Carrara = Italian city, a notable source of a white marble that carries its name.
I knew for sure there would be an explanation
I knew Porsche Heritage Carrera
I would have gone Marble White for the colour!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I knew for sure there would be an explanation
I knew Porsche Heritage Carrera
I would have gone Marble White for the colour!
TBH I only knew about the Carrara marble from shopping for kitchen worktops...and even then it took me a while before I realised that was how the Porsche paint colour was spelt.
Re. Carrera Panamericana- I'm guessing that Panamera is an abbreviation, probably just as well as otherwise the Panamericana Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo would need a badge wider than the car itself.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
The Taycan Cross Turismo is a good compromise, for me, for pretty sporty driving feel with good space for the dog or anything bigger I may wish to carry around - and I only need this capability very infrequently.

I find an estate car (station wagon), whilst less fashionable, more practical than any SUV in terms of internal to external space ratio, and, of course, the smaller frontal area is a big gain in drag and the layout lends itself to a more aerodynamic shape anyway so a win-win.
I don’t think I’ll ever need anything bigger than te Taycan CT myself.

When it comes to sports cars though I am still totally unconvinced by EVs.
Whilst one of the major benefits of an EV drive train is no need of clutch or multi ratio gearbox that takes quite a lot of satisfaction away from sports car driving IME, and, unless your only interest in vehicle performance is as a dragster, the weight of an EV means I don’t see the arrival of an EV real sports car any time soon.

Also, whilst smooth silence is a great thing in normal motoring IMO, a sports car benefits from the sound of an IC engine as well as 3 pedals and a multi-ratio gearbox so I am not envisaging any EV appealing to me at all as a 2-seater. I don’t even like most modern flappy paddle gearboxed electronic driver aid ridden turbocharged “sports cars” of today meaning anybody can easily drive them ;)

My choice has a normally aspirated, therefore great sounding, engine and limited slip diff, the rest is down to me :)
I agree re: electric sports cars. I've been struggling for a while to understand what the point of an electric sports car will be. All EV's have a low center of gravity, so they all (mostly) handle at least reasonably well...except for the mass issue. Straight line performance gets boring pretty quickly, IMO...and drag racing is the only auto racing that's dumber than Nascar's "drive 100 yards and turn left" for three hours.

So why give up utility for the fractionally better performance an EV sports car might provide? That's where I was after driving the e-tron...packaged in the SUV form I loathe. The Taycan has given me hope EV's don't have to be boring one-trick ponies, like the Tesla Model S Plaid, though I don't know how long it will be before "point and stomp" driving becomes unsatisfying.

Right now I really enjoy not sending money to Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia, and Texas every time I drive. I've been waiting a lot of years for this - I initially was a huge fan of Tesla and wanted a Model S, but not enough to drive a family sedan daily.

I'm still hung up on the 4-door thing though. Am I finally being forced to become an adult? 🤔

Chevrolet lost me as a Corvette customer when they didn't offer the C8 with a manual transmission. I understand their reasons for that, but short of totaling my C7 in an accident, I don't see any scenario at present where I'd sell it...I need a manual transmission.

I can't answer the original poster's question about whether an e-tron S would be satisfying at half the cost of a comparably-performing Taycan...though I am certain even the entry-level Taycan will outperform the e-tron S on the curving roads I drive for enjoyment. Is it worth the loss of utility, and capital that could be invested? That's a question everyone has to answer for their own personal situation. I'm fortunate to be able to have one of each.

The extra utility of the Cross/Sport Turismo models might be a good option for the original poster...though there's still that pesky unresolved opportunity cost of the extra capital required to buy the Porsche station wagon.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree re: electric sports cars. I've been struggling for a while to understand what the point of an electric sports car will be. All EV's have a low center of gravity, so they all (mostly) handle at least reasonably well...except for the mass issue. Straight line performance gets boring pretty quickly, IMO...and drag racing is the only auto racing that's dumber than Nascar's "drive 100 yards and turn left" for three hours.

So why give up utility for the fractionally better performance an EV sports car might provide?
Fractionally better?:CWL: Have you seen the Mission R? Its performance is on par with a Cup car. EV sports cars are about more than the straights.

And those of you who think the Taycan is a sports car must have never driven one or maybe your Taycan is 1,500 lbs lighter than mine. EV sports cars are going to weigh 1/3 less than our Taycans, which is huge in terms of handling.

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
This is a Porsche forum.

Suggest posting the same thread in an Audi forum for fairness.

All in all, it’s Porsche or gtfo!
Sponsored