Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
One strange thing I never noticed until this video, is the odd and surprising difference on the Taycan:

- The Turbo has open space between inside the wheel arch and through the ventilation to the front door.

- The Turbo S however, has no opening in the wheel arch and the ventilation near the front door looks sealed.

I checked on two vehicles today, and this is correct. It looks fake. Really, on a Turbo S. But why? Does anybody have a clue?

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
One strange thing I never noticed until this video, is the strange and surprising difference on the Taycan:

- The Turbo has open space between inside the wheel arch and through the ventilation to the front door.

- The Turbo S however, has no opening in the wheel arch and the ventilation near the front door looks sealed.

I checked on two vehicles today, and this is correct. It looks fake. Really, on a Turbo S. But why? Does anybody have a clue?
It's bizarre. The 4S has the same functional version as the Turbo, only the Turbo S is fake.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
@Arno this is not model specific. It's related to the power charge port door. With that option, the side air vent is closed off. Since this is a standard option on the Turbo S, you can't change it, but on the 4S (like mine) and the Turbo it will be closed if the feature is ordered.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Arno this is not model specific. It's related to the power charge port door. With that option, the side air vent is closed off. Since this is a standard option on the Turbo S, you can't change it, but on the 4S (like mine) and the Turbo it will be closed if the feature is ordered.
Ohh, INTERESTING. That's a major con for the powered charge port, wow.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I preferably like design with a purpose, so if there is an explanation for this issue, it feels somewhat relaxing. Personally I think it looks better, when the air ventilation is open right through.

First, I thought maybe this had to do with the ceramic brakes are more resistant to heat, and so the extra ventilation was not needed. But then again, Porsche has positively announced the air stream around and through the vehicle as less drag, so it made no sense.

So Doug, your input seems logical and therefore most welcome - I really do appreciate that clarification :like:

I would hate having a fake design-part on my Turbo S, for no reason :whew:

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes it is closed on the Turbo and the electric power charge flap. No idea why this is done that way though, and I wonder what it does to the airflow. Is this better or worse for airflow?

Has anyone heard any explanation?

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Personally I think it looks better, when the air ventilation is open right through.
I would hate having a fake design-part on my Turbo S, for no reason
I order the power door because I thought it was cool. I was disappointed when I found out the side vent would be non-functional because of my choice. Oh well. :confused: I don't think I would change things though.
Agreed, at least Porsche has a reason.

Is this better or worse for airflow?
From what I understand this is why the drag coefficient on the 4S and Turbo are better than the Turbo S. So to answer your question: worse.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I order the power door because I thought it was cool. I was disappointed when I found out the side vent would be non-functional because of my choice. Oh well. :confused: I don't think I would change things though.
Agreed, at least Porsche has a reason.

From what I understand this is why the drag coefficient on the 4S and Turbo are better than the Turbo S. So to answer your question: worse.
I think the electrical fuel door is rather cool actually, despite the lack of real ventilation system through the wheel arch. Also, in my area there are too many haters which would love to brake off the manuell charging door, obviously when open. All in all, it ain´t so bad after all. Still, I would love if Porsche faked the ventilation so it wouldn't be so obvious it has no function. It's not a big thing really, I'm just hung up in details and that form should follow function . . .

Last edited:

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I think the electrical fuel door is rather cool actually, despite the lack of real ventilation system through the wheel arch. Also, in my area there are too many haters which would love to brake off the manuell charging door, obviously when open. All in all, it ain´t so bad after all. Still, I would love if Porsche faked the ventilation so it wouldn't be so obvious it has no function. It's not a big thing really, I'm just hung up in details and that form should follow function . . .
Agree!

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps I'm just finding up vicarious motives to my self, justifying the missing air ventilation due to the electrical fuel door: But maybe there is a chance for that the vehicle will become less dirty around the door area, since airstream from the wheels are blocked. At least that would be something :fingerscrossed:

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Are you sure this isn’t down to the wheels? The Turbo comes with aero wheels which increase range & do have an aero advantage. The Turbo S does not. I just assumed the wheels & the gap in the wing work hand in hand. Perhaps someone with a turbo, aero wheels & the powered charge door could comment?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone with 20" wheels on a 4S or Turbo with the power charge port doors that can comment to @Smithy37 's question on if the plastic filler is there? I thought it was to do with the power charge port option only; although I could not figure why as the mechanism seems to be all above the charge port and should not effect that vent area. Maybe the 21" wheels which puts much larger front tire width have more of a tendency to throw rocks was another thought?
Also can someone use a flashlight on the vent to be sure its not perforated in any way?

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone with 20" wheels on a 4S or Turbo with the power charge port doors that can comment to @Smithy37 's question on if the plastic filler is there? I thought it was to do with the power charge port option only; although I could not figure why as the mechanism seems to be all above the charge port and should not effect that vent area. Maybe the 21" wheels which puts much larger front tire width have more of a tendency to throw rocks was another thought?
Also can someone use a flashlight on the vent to be sure its not perforated in any way?
I checked today on a Turbo, and I confirm the airstream from the wheels are blocked. It's difficult to see with the naked eye, without going close up or using a flashlight. Despite it's not functional as I hoped for, I must admit that design looks good even though. Then again, as mentioned before: Form ought to follow function . . .

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo vs Turbo S Comparison Review - Better Than 911 Turbo S! [TheStraightPipes] A3

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo vs Turbo S Comparison Review - Better Than 911 Turbo S! [TheStraightPipes] A2

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo vs Turbo S Comparison Review - Better Than 911 Turbo S! [TheStraightPipes] A1