Taycan v hybrid options

avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Raptor
Country flag
Still not sure about getting a Taycan

Not keen on the complexities of hybrid cars but how about equivalent cost alternatives of buying 2 car options such Lotus Emira + Mini Electric.

(also keeping my Raptor and Mustang)
Sponsored

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
A hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) in particular is essentially like bicycle; Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) analogy with training wheels. Some people learn to ride a bike with training wheels, others just try to ride the bike.

Learning how to drive a BEV is much easier than learning to ride a bike.

Porsche has done a great job of making the Taycan very easy for ICE driver's to learn especially if they are coming from a modern Porsche. I would say it's trickier to learn the Porsche features than the BEV-specific ones.

Performance-wise (stats and driver experience) at the Taycan model range price points, I would argue the only other options are other BEVs.

Last edited:

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Personally, I think the advantages of full-electric are so significant that I would only consider other EV's to compare with the Taycan.
And unfortunately there are not that many alternatives at this moment.

If you aren't sure about the Taycan, I would personally wait a bit longer to decide. There are many alternatives in the pipeline that will hit the market in the coming 2 years.

Charing infrastructure is also growing fast. In Belgium I see a 2.5x to 3x increase in +100kw chargers in just one year. If you doubt about the charging infrastructure and believe it is not good enough yet: by the time you will actually get your car the amount of fast chargers will likely doubled. I assume it is similar across Europe.

So I would recommend to jump to EV's now or wait a bit longer. But not go to ICE alternatives. Especially because you have other ICE cars you intent to keep.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My analysis of my requirements has always come up with a plug in hybrid as the optimum so far.
Our current PHEV does about 35 miles on a charge which covers most journeys I do so I only fill up with petrol infrequently but it gives me good freedom on our trips up to the north of Scotland for family visits. The last time I filled up was in Carlisle on 14th April and I still have over ¼ tank after driving home the 280 miles from there and the last 6 weeks of motoring here.

OTOH my requirement for a non SUV with room for my dog rules out most PHEVs.
It boiled down to Panamera sport turismo or Toyota Prius last time!

I have ordered a Taycan but am not going to sell the PHEV until it has proved its suitability for my use.

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, iPace, Taycan(s) on order
I don't think this is a crazy idea, depends on what you need / want from a car.

The current electric mini is a bit pointless though, unless you use it only for v short trips, at 100m range. The new one coming next year should be decent.

I have an Emira on order. You'll be waiting at least a couple of years if you are reserving today. Especially once the reviews are out of embargo next week (assuming they're good!)

I am definitely in the hybrids are a bit halfway house camp, although I see the new range rover/ RRS hybrids now have a 70m+ range. The likes of London no longer exempt hybrid cars from congestion charge, so be wary that hybrids are less likely to be able to benefit from that sort of thing (for as long as it lasts!) than pure BEVs.

OP
OP
avdb

avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Raptor
Country flag
Taycan looks great but I am very tempted by the Emira.

Mini electric is fun and good for town driving and parking. Is there news about a longer range Mini EV next year?

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Taycan looks great but I am very tempted by the Emira.

Mini electric is fun and good for town driving and parking. Is there news about a longer range Mini EV next year?
Still not sure about getting a Taycan

Not keen on the complexities of hybrid cars but how about equivalent cost alternatives of buying 2 car options such Lotus Emira + Mini Electric.

(also keeping my Raptor and Mustang)
I nearly ordered a hybrid Panamera but I backed out when I reviewed the combined service requirements for the two systems. I would have transitioned with a hybrid otherwise as I generally like the Panamera ST more than the Taycan CT. When the full BEV Pan is available, I am likely to go that route based on what I have seen of the Audi A6 wagon BEV.

Fundamentally, the driving dynamics of a PHEV are different than a BEV. That is also something to consider….

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I have the current, brilliantly versatile and capable, Cayenne E-hybrid. When I had it serviced I took the opportunity, just out of curiosity, to try the newly arrived Taycan 4S CT demonstrator, which has marginally better performance on paper (and significantly less utility). An hour in that and the only thing stopping me putting down a deposit was that I hadn't checked it fit through my garage doors. Normally, I live by the spreadsheet and analyse and assess. The Taycan sold itself to me on feel and emotion. I doubt I'd have considered it if it hadn't done that. Not long after, the intoxication of unnecessary power had me convince myself that the Turbo would be a sensible upgrade.
On a separate point re BEV v PHEV- my Cayenne experience, once I'd satisfied myself of its capability to combine both power sources for maximum performance, settled down to largely be about trying to minimise the intervention of the ICE, with the vast majority of trips being within battery range. That seems a waste of its potential.
Sponsored