Taycan vs 911 (Which to buy)

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe you're not as good as Chris Harris.

Personally, I don't think 20-30 minutes is enough to fully understand the possibilities and performance of a Taycan Turbo S.

PS What's a 911 TTS?
lol. I’m not as good as Chris Harris when he was practicing for his learner’s permit

20-30 minutes is definitely not enough time.

911 (twin) Turbo S.
Sponsored

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Porsche 911 GTS
Country flag
If you can use the Macan any time you need to...consider the 911, unless you really need four doors constantly.

I love the Taycan but would not replace my beloved 911 with one. I would rather have one as a second or third vehicle.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I just drove my Corvette C7 to the maintainance shop. The battery was dead, as I hadn't driven it only once since the Taycan arrived, namely into the garage. While driving the Corvette, I thought the car was out of order... The vibrations, the strange chafing noises... and why do I have to press the pedal soo much for that response - is the engine not well? Why is this thing stinking at the rear :)?

Seriously, going from ICE to EV is a quantum leap. It is like the guy in the JP performance video said: "At the moment, Taycan is pretty much boss, and one also has to say the Taycan really actually is an asshole, because it demolishes everything else in cars in your head and in your feeling, because this electric driving is the devil; because the car drives so well."

Cheers,
Henrik

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have both.

The 911 is a summer car for me. It's a 911, classic. Very practical for a sports car, good mileage, great performance and 300 mile range. It's louder than a Taycan, smaller and has a bit less cargo carrying capacity. It's more practical in the sense you can go to gas station whenever you want and you don't have the extra work about figuring out charging.

The Taycan is built better. It's more solid, less noisy and very refined. It's also fast as hell and handles really well. The downside is that the range SUCKS. The other downside is that the charging network for it is poor. Also, when the car reaches about 50 miles of range, it starts shedding power. So if you have 150 miles of range, you actually have 100 miles of total power and then you get 50 miles of reduced power.

I think a comparison of getting a Taycan 4S or a Panamera E Hybrid is more comparable.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow to both of you... so it seems like once one adds a Taycan to the stable, our ICE cars become relics of the past. Even 911s. Makes me a little sad for my 911; like an old loyal dog when the new spritely puppy arrives.
I had the same experience. I drove the Taycan and had the other cars parked for the first couple of months. The novelty of the Taycan kept me driving it. Funny thing though, now that the novelty has worn off, and winter is so sloppy this year, I have parked the Taycan for the last 3 weeks and been driving the Panamera Hybrid and Tahoe.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The downside is that the range SUCKS. The other downside is that the charging network for it is poor.
Interesting considering I have another EV with more 'stated range' and the Taycan's conservative nature blows it out of the water. I push north of 275 miles in my Turbo on a road trip and likely could have gone farther but the timing didn't require it.

Also, coast to coast and midwest driving with Electrify America is better than Tesla which is often cited as the king of fast charging. My experience on roadtripping in midwest echos this - we prefer the drive in the taycan with EA charging over the drive in the Tesla with their superchargers.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting considering I have another EV with more 'stated range' and the Taycan's conservative nature blows it out of the water. I push north of 275 miles in my Turbo on a road trip and likely could have gone farther but the timing didn't require it.

Also, coast to coast and midwest driving with Electrify America is better than Tesla which is often cited as the king of fast charging. My experience on roadtripping in midwest echos this - we prefer the drive in the taycan with EA charging over the drive in the Tesla with their superchargers.
I know 3 people who have the Taycan Turbo / s and we all get less than 200 miles of range. In these winter months we are getting closer to 145 to 165 miles of range @ 85-90% charge. The EA network sucks around Chicago for "real world" driving. And if you want to take the car to Northern Wisconsin or anywhere away from and urban area, its non existent.

Having 8000 miles so far and my other buddies having 6000 or so miles, we have soild experience with the cars. We know what the range is. We also drive the cars like Porsche's. 85 would be an average speed on the highways and we exceed that when possible.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know 3 people who have the Taycan Turbo / s and we all get less than 200 miles of range. In these winter months we are getting closer to 145 to 165 miles of range @ 85-90% charge. The EA network sucks around Chicago for "real world" driving. And if you want to take the car to Northern Wisconsin or anywhere away from and urban area, its non existent.

Having 8000 miles so far and my other buddies having 6000 or so miles, we have soild experience with the cars. We know what the range is. We also drive the cars like Porsche's. 85 would be an average speed on the highways and we exceed that when possible.
I guess I have a unicorn. And I guess the media outlets that tested range also have unicorns. But it could be that I'm only 4,000 miles in on my Turbo and just don't have the experience you and all your friends have. I'll take my 275 miles and be happy with it then.

And L3 charging in/around town is bad everywhere outside of perhaps the west coast cities. It still seems to be more of a focus item for city to city driving rather than around city. Granted the Chicago land area has close to 20 locations but invariably probably not where you want them. I won't be surprised if it takes another 5 years to have that type of coverage. EV may just not be for you.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess I have a unicorn. And I guess the media outlets that tested range also have unicorns. But it could be that I'm only 4,000 miles in on my Turbo and just don't have the experience you and all your friends have. I'll take my 275 miles and be happy with it then.

And L3 charging in/around town is bad everywhere outside of perhaps the west coast cities. It still seems to be more of a focus item for city to city driving rather than around city. Granted the Chicago land area has close to 20 locations but invariably probably not where you want them. I won't be surprised if it takes another 5 years to have that type of coverage. EV may just not be for you.
If I had 275 miles of range, I'd be like a pig in shit. Best I ever saw was like 210 early on. It has diminished since then.

Satin_Volcano

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2016 Gt3RS
Country flag
I had the exact same delima, In fact I had a 911 4s built and ready to order. My GF and I went into porsche to sign all the docs and put a deposit down...she said lets take the Taycan for a test drive while we wait. I agreed...After that it was over. The Taycan offered more room as a daily driver, seating position of a 911 but just was more fun. I cancelled my 911 order and went with the Taycan.

Good luck

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In the summer with summer tires I constantly got 270 miles of range but with Winter Snow tires and the cold temps I'm at 230 miles per charge. Curious to see in a few months when it gets warmer and I change back to summer rubber if it goes back up. In any case, I LOVE this car. Period. Turbo

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the summer with summer tires I constantly got 270 miles of range but with Winter Snow tires and the cold temps I'm at 230 miles per charge. Curious to see in a few months when it gets warmer and I change back to summer rubber if it goes back up. In any case, I LOVE this car. Period. Turbo
Me and my buddies are at 150 miles this winter

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All in heated garages. Two Turbo S and one Turbo

Look at my avatar, that's typical "estimate" this winter. But I ALWAYS get less miles than the estimate

Just spoke to my buddy and he's been doing 150 @ 90% charge. He also mentioned that he was doing donuts in a parking lot in the snow and that the car is really good at it.....

Last edited:

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I have had a Taycan Turbo since last March and have driven it to/from San Diego to Bend Oregon and San Diego to Boulder, CO. Out west the EA Level 3 network is pretty good on I-5, I-15 and I-70, which is all the highways I used. I averaged 80 MPH and regularly got 250 miles per full charge. In and around town (San Diego), my combined city/highway driving, I am getting around 215 miles on an 85% charge. No unicorn.....just my experience.
Sponsored