First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for the comments.

I think I will miss the revs, engine sound, the gear shifting. I am still very new to the EV concept.
I hear ya! I have a highly customized (aka loud) e60 M5 which has a high revving v10 putting out close to 600hp. On track days it sounds the best of the crowd racing which is often loaded with Italian imports. That being said, my Taycan hits the dealer today and it's going to be a huge shift moving to it for a daily driver. Soooo quiet!

Also, my wife has an EV (Tesla) so we're over the hump on getting used to an EV. I will say though, the learning curve was really short. Almost overnight it felt like it was a revelation that we didn't ever stop for gas. I tell people EV really needs an L2 charger at home (240v - 50amp for Taycan) otherwise it's a bigger discussion.
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I've had a 992 Carrera 4S for 8 weeks but Taycan has it all.
Such a smooth ride and plenty of power.
I'm used to electric so I don't want to go back to petrol.
Sure, it's sound is addictive but man, that Taycan is just fantastic.
It's a 4-door 911 if the street is not your racetrack....

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi Porsche Pals,

I have a dilemma deciding whether to buy the Taycan or the 911.

My wife and I currently own a 2018 Macan. Recently married, no kids, no pets. Planning to keep it this way for a good few years. We decided to put a deposit and get the Taycan last year. Unfortunately COVID happened, and the car got delayed. We plan to give the Macan to our mom (she has no car atm) So we will be only having one car. (She lives only a 5 min drive or 15 min walk away, so we can use the Macan anytime)

Had a lot of time to think about the Taycan and the 911. We will be picking between the Taycan 4s or the 911 4S. (We can get the Taycan Turbo but we will be really really tight in the next two years.) We will be keeping the car for at least the next 6-7 years.

Please give me some feedbacks. I driven both cars and love them both. Too bad I can't afford both.......
I have had 2 Panamera's, 1 Macan Turbo, 6 911's (from 4S, to S to GTS to Turbo S) and now a Taycan Turbo. What one selects is highly dependent upon your driving needs, comfort desires, etc. But I can say that from a performance and comfort standpoint, there is nothing in the Porsche lineup that compares to the Taycan. It's build quality, technology, driveability, functionality, uniqueness, performance, and good looks, as well as hopefully its reliability is top notch. If you can charge easily at home or live near any DC fast chargers from Electrify America, then go for it. You'll never look back.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Honestly, I've been on the track for 20 years vs all versions of 911's and the Cayman is the car to buy if you want a true drivers car. They Cayman is better looking, more precise, better feel, better balance better handling, and just no argument a better drivers car. So the real question I have is, if you just need a two passenger Porsche, why wouldn't you get the Cayman?

On the other hand, as a previous poster said, if you need a 4-seater, then I don't think you can get a better car than the Taycan. If you really want to compare the 911 vs the Taycan in terms of driving fun, feel, pleasure etc., then I'd go for the 911. But again, I'd say if that's what you're looking for, the Cayman has no peer.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Honestly, I've been on the track for 20 years vs all versions of 911's and the Cayman is the car to buy if you want a true drivers car. They Cayman is better looking, more precise, better feel, better balance better handling, and just no argument a better drivers car. So the real question I have is, if you just need a two passenger Porsche, why wouldn't you get the Cayman?

On the other hand, as a previous poster said, if you need a 4-seater, then I don't think you can get a better car than the Taycan. If you really want to compare the 911 vs the Taycan in terms of driving fun, feel, pleasure etc., then I'd go for the 911. But again, I'd say if that's what you're looking for, the Cayman has no peer.
There is a lot to agree with here.

A manual transmission Cayman with the NA Flat Six engine is the best (readily accessible) driving car Porsche makes.

My problem with the current 992s is the fact that the Taycan does well so much of what makes them great cars, AND the Taycan is so much more practical. I really think you want to compare a manual, NA Cayman/911 vs a Taycan. The TT 992s don't offer enough over a Taycan to justify the loss in comfort/practicality/usability, IMHO.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I think I will miss the revs, engine sound, the gear shifting.
It depends. Buy a good sound system for the Taycan (i.e. more than the baseline stock), and put on Metallica. Then you will not miss the revs.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: I still have a V8 in the garage and didn't touch it once since the T4S arrived... :).

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

Our 2016 Cayman GT4 with ceramic brakes is the best handling car I have driven - more nimble than a GT3 or Taycan and 150 lbs. lighter than the 4.0 liter GT4 (still love how the others handle).

OP
OP
Wendal

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Randy what a dilemma ,
Gordon’ s comment was correct — it’s a low ride .
Yes the 911 is a selfish car - no real passenger space .
— uncomfortable for passengers — can be quite noisy.
BUT A DRIVERS DELIGHT —WITH NOTHING LIKE IT .
Over the years I have owned six with my last being the latest 992 and still miss it .
For me personally I would go for the 911 now and place an order for a future Taycan .Possibly a last chance to own such a selfish but enjoyable machine .
Most likely will go for this idea. Be a little selfish until the kids come rolling in!!! haha

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies.!!!!

drtdvl

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo, 2020 AMG GT63S, 2018 Golf R
Country flag
Most likely will go for this idea. Be a little selfish until the kids come rolling in!!! haha

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies.!!!!
Here is something to consider...We currently own a 911 Turbo and an AMG GT63S. We have had our Taycan Turbo S for just over five days and have not driven our other two cars since getting the Taycan. We just drove our GT63S and it is hard to describe but it just felt slow.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Here is something to consider...We currently own a 911 Turbo and an AMG GT63S. We have had our Taycan Turbo S for just over five days and have not driven our other two cars since getting the Taycan. We just drove our GT63S and it is hard to describe but it just felt slow.
I just test drove an R8 Performance, which numerically keeps up with Taycan Turbo S past 60 mph and it also felt slow and “old.” it is a stunning experience going back from any EV to ICE.

Reactions: Dee

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I just test drove an R8 Performance, which numerically keeps up with Taycan Turbo S past 60 mph and it also felt slow and “old.” it is a stunning experience going back from any EV to ICE.
Wow to both of you... so it seems like once one adds a Taycan to the stable, our ICE cars become relics of the past. Even 911s. Makes me a little sad for my 911; like an old loyal dog when the new spritely puppy arrives.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow to both of you... so it seems like once one adds a Taycan to the stable, our ICE cars become relics of the past. Even 911s. Makes me a little sad for my 911; like an old loyal dog when the new spritely puppy arrives.
lol. I did not feel that way about my 911 TTS after test driving the taycan. The taycan is only slightly faster 0-60 and not faster 90-120. The 911 has a much higher top speed (not that I’ll ever see it). Rather my point is the ice engines with much lighter cars are still faster in the mid to high speeds

The taycan much heavier and not quite as nimble in the corners. it’s still exceptional and insanely better than a 5100# car has any right to be. The chassis is like physics defying.

until you brake. I had a fabulous test drive, faster 0-60, can’t perceive the difference 0-120 without a stop watch, and really enjoyed the taycan. The 5100# comes back to remind you there is no defying physics when you brake. The taycan brakes are by far the best EV brakes I’ve used, but they just aren’t in the same league as the 911 ceramics. Which to be fair are probably the best oem street driving brakes in existence, on a car that weighs 1500# less.

overall I felt the taycan performance was quite similar for public roads just EV and so beautifully silent. Unfortunately this covid thing has seriously delayed my aspiration to go back to PEC LA and track both cars back to back.

but yes, you need the very best ICE vehicles just to compete with a taycan.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
lol. I did not feel that way about my 911 TTS after test driving the taycan. The taycan is only slightly faster 0-60 and not faster 90-120. The 911 has a much higher top speed (not that I’ll ever see it). Rather my point is the ice engines with much lighter cars are still faster in the mid to high speeds

The taycan much heavier and not quite as nimble in the corners. it’s still exceptional and insanely better than a 5100# car has any right to be. The chassis is like physics defying.

until you brake. I had a fabulous test drive, faster 0-60, can’t perceive the difference 0-120 without a stop watch, and really enjoyed the taycan. The 5100# comes back to remind you there is no defying physics when you brake. The taycan brakes are by far the best EV brakes I’ve used, but they just aren’t in the same league as the 911 ceramics. Which to be fair are probably the best oem street driving brakes in existence, on a car that weighs 1500# less.

overall I felt the taycan performance was quite similar for public roads just EV and so beautifully silent. Unfortunately this covid thing has seriously delayed my aspiration to go back to PEC LA and track both cars back to back.

but yes, you need the very best ICE vehicles just to compete with a taycan.
Did you try ceramics on a Taycan?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you try ceramics on a Taycan?
i did. I had a 20-30 minute test drive in a taycan turbo S. The brakes are actually larger than the 991.2 generation 911, so they are better, but it’s managing 1500# more. Physics is a harsh mistress.

overall I was very impressed. The braking was the only place I could feel any noteworthy performance difference between the taycan and a 911 TTS on a public road. The taycan and the 911 obviously go about getting their overall performance very differently, so there is a different driving experience. No sound! The weight! But I couldn‘t get the taycan to misbehave in the corners at extremely high speed. Driver failed before car. (That guy was a coward).

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
i did. I had a 20-30 minute test drive in a taycan turbo S. The brakes are actually larger than the 991.2 generation 911, so they are better, but it’s managing 1500# more. Physics is a harsh mistress.

overall I was very impressed. The braking was the only place I could feel any noteworthy performance difference between the taycan and a 911 TTS on a public road. The taycan and the 911 obviously go about getting their overall performance very differently, so there is a different driving experience. No sound! The weight! But I couldn‘t get the taycan to misbehave in the corners at extremely high speed. Driver failed before car. (That guy was a coward).
Maybe you're not as good as Chris Harris.

Personally, I don't think 20-30 minutes is enough to fully understand the possibilities and performance of a Taycan Turbo S.

PS What's a 911 TTS?
Sponsored