Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date?

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
minor correction: Sadly, You can’t set Ride Height in the custom setting. I wanted to. couldn’t.
Great, thanks.

Did you go for the innodrive or jus the adaptive cruise?

again, I’m interested in the advantages of innodrive before locking my spec down.

For those interested in the different sensors and cameras, this is lifted from the technical guide.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date? BB3892A3-CE7E-48C8-BA21-43EB8511256D
Sponsored

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date? IMG_6484.PNG
minor correction: Sadly, You can’t set Ride Height in the custom setting. I wanted to. couldn’t.
My first Porsche, I didn't get the chrono either, can the ride height be set like a panamera, I want a low suspension, thanks

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I love this review of InnoDrive:

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/14021/porsches-innodrive-is-cruise-control-for-the-lazy-enthusiast

"But forget InnoDrive's limitations at your own risk. Well, yours and everyone around you, because expecting the system to do things it can't—like, say, stop at an intersection—is a recipe for a crash. It doesn't turn a Porsche into a self-driving car; it's not even quite Tesla's Autopilot, not Mercedes-Benz's Drive Pilot. It'd be unfair to call it a lesser system; it simply has a different set of priorities, ones more in line with the spirit of the company that created it, which has always lived at the the intersection of technology and performance.

So what, exactly, is it for? That's the question I struggled with while steering—I can't really call it driving, not with my feet free to dance a jig as the car wound its way through turn after turn—through the paved, winding paths north of Stuttgart. The system is of no use on wide-open highways, where the curves are so gentle, if you have to slow down for them you're doing it wrong. It's made for use on two-lanes laden with crests and curves. Thing is...don't people buy Porsches specifically because they enjoy things like driving down back roads? A Porsche designed to drive itself down a fun stretch of asphalt seems like a sex doll designed only to pleasure itself while you watch.

The best real-world use I could come up with for InnoDrive was as a sort of "sightseeing mode." On winding roads you've never driven before, it's far better than you at knowing when to brake or how hard to hit the gas, delivering silky-smooth inputs and leaving you to steer while admiring the scenery. If ever leaf-peeper in New England used InnoDrive, the nightmare that is foliage traffic would vanish instantly. Likewise, if you were more interested in taking in the sights of California's Highway 1 than driving it, InnoDrive would be a perfect co-pilot. But if that were the case...why the hell did you buy a Porsche in the first place?"

Reactions: Dee

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Great question, though I was going to order mine with InnoDrive or at least ACC I am curious the answer. I know $2K for ACC is a steep option.
See this article seems to at least say it's on even without having cruise control on, which seems strange.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/porsche-taycan-regeneration-how-does-it-work/

Wishing you the best with your new Taycan.
Good article, which is more than one can say about the comment section.

It seems that every time there is an article about the Taycan one or more numbnuts gets an urge to empty their chamber pots in the comment section :headbang:

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I took my test drive earlier today.

I don't have the knowledge that some folks on this forum have about all of the features and widgets and gizmos that the Taycan offer. I can tell you this quite plainly: It's the best car I have ever driven. The test car was a Turbo in the same external color that I will order (my build number is: PL96XKK9), but the interior was black. It arrived at Stevens Creek Porsche in Santa Clara, CA about 2+ weeks ago.

The salesman James brought the car around...the "sound" was turned on. Sounds like Star Wars (I liked it). He went through quite a normal review of the car: trunk, frunk, cup holders, how the car doors open, etc. It was all very...boring. Not the car but the way he was acting like this was a normal car. I sat in the back seat. It was more comfortable than I thought it would be, but the foot-well prevents you from stretching out. I can imagine that anything more than an hour back there might get uncomfortable.

He put me in the front seat whilst he sat in the passenger position. He explained a few details (because of TaycanForum, I was already in tune with everything he was saying or showing). I adjusted the seat, the mirrors and away we went. I don't have more to add to what you likely already know. The steering wheel did block / obstruct the view of some of the "icons" on the right and left side of the display, but did not bother me at all while driving. We took a few streets and entered a freeway. I was at 90mph before I realized it. It was....effortless. It was smooth. It was quiet. I brought it back down to 70 and punched the pedal. It shot up to about 93 before I chickened out (last thing I need is a speeding ticket) in just a few seconds. The power this car has to accelerate once already at highway speeds is simply breathtaking.

I asked to drive some corners, so we got off the highway and I took as many corners as I could. Good heavens, I could feel absolutely zero roll. Punching it out of turns is exciting. I drive a 650 twin turbo and the Taycan made it feel like it was a Prius.

We went into his office and sanity checked the build I had already assembled. He properly informed me about some of the features and we added a few things. He never asked for my order and I told him my plan. He was encouraging me to buy (rather than lease). I explained that I think the technology and Porsche will continue to rapidly change and that the offerings in 3 or 4 years should justify the premium you pay for the lease. My thought is that the depreciation in that same time will be more than the extra leasing cost. Your opinion????

That's it. I will skip the January 15th order deadline for now as I need to understand my bonus situation (which comes at the end of January). But he told me as soon as I'm ready, I will get an allocation due to my "low number" on their list.

I'm very excited and necessarily patient.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date? 20200104_103303

Porsche Taycan Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date? 20200104_103248

Porsche Taycan Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date? 20200104_103403

Porsche Taycan Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date? 20200104_091451

Porsche Taycan Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date? 20200104_090854

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Great pics and great review, love the 259 miles and the volcano grey, thanks for sharing, pictures of these cars make my day

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,
thanks a lot for taking the time to write the review and upload the pictures. Quite an impressive verdict!
Regarding your question whether to buy or lease - that is a good one. Of course battery technology will get better and a Taycan from 2023 will be better than today's. The interesting question is, in what respect?

Not much improvement I would expect here:
  • Electronics, electric motors, cables, inverters etc are all already pretty damn good. Technology to deal with electricity has been around long enough :). Maybe an inverter will be lighter and cheaper. But I would not expect much progress here.
  • Neither will the interior be much better, regarding materials, workmanship, overall quality. There could be new interior designs.
Much improvement I would expect here:
  • Software. Faster, better UI, more functionality, more ease of use. However, with a bit of luck you will get it as updates.
  • Autonomous driving. Here, it depends on two areas: Does it have enough and good enough sensors already? Retrofitting will be a pain or next to impossible. And does it have enough processing power? My guess would be that it does not have enough sensors and not enough processing power by far.
  • Battery technology. A 2023 Taycan should have a battery with 20% more capacity (wild guess, surely, there are better estimates out there), and other nifty battery improvements.
So the questions are:
  1. Is the current range good enough for you or would you really want more?
  2. How important is autonomous driving for you?
If the answers are "really want more" and "very important", then I would likely lease. I think you will be able to upgrade the battery relatively easily (it is built that way, and there were documentations where Porsche people said that even individual modules in the battery can be exchanged relatively easily), but of course for a lot of money.

If you think you'll mostly want to drive the car yourself, not itself, and that the range should be good enough anyway, then the question of buying vs leasing becomes less one-sided. I'd probably buy, but that is more of a personal preference (I bought all my cars in my life except for one).

Cheers,
Henrik

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also had a short test drive today in the same Taycan Turbo that @BayAreaKen spoke and provided photos of above.

I stopped in dealership rather impromptu, my salesperson, Daniel, was very kind and had a few minutes to let me take it out with my son. We used the Electric Sport Sound, I can say it was not over the top and seemed quite mellow. With all the traffic in that area I was not able to tune in to the car as much as I would have liked. My son said the sound was a very Star Wars like, and my salesperson mentioned it was actually created with assistance from the Star Wars folks, so I assume Lucas Films, unconfirmed. The one thing he found unusual was that while stopped at a light it's still made a low hum, he is also experienced in EVs and knows that there would be no motor running while waiting at a light. But I can think that the sound is really providing feedback on the readiness of the vehicle.

While on some 'nameless' road I can state that the car jumps to triple digits all to easily and feels infinity composed. I have done a couple T* test drives too, and they are quite nimble at getting to speed, but I did really enjoy the low seating position and the confidence it gives.

I was rather late on getting my deposit in so my position is quite late.

Now I wait.... (With anticipation )

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also had a short test drive today in the same Taycan Turbo that @BayAreaKen spoke and provided photos of above.
ron_b, I haven’t heard any feedback from anyone who has driven a 4S, which is what I recall you are ordering. Did you ask whether your dealer has driven both and whether he had any observations on how the two compare?

I showed my wife your and BayAreaKen’s test drive reviews and she thinks I am going to get in trouble... I hope she is right and that the 4S is nearly as exciting to drive as the Turbo sounds like it was for you.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hello,
thanks a lot for taking the time to write the review and upload the pictures. Quite an impressive verdict!
Regarding your question whether to buy or lease - that is a good one. Of course battery technology will get better and a Taycan from 2023 will be better than today's. The interesting question is, in what respect?

• Electronics, electric motors, cables, inverters etc are all already pretty damn good. Technology to deal with electricity has been around long enough :). Maybe an inverter will be lighter and cheaper. But I would not expect much progress here.
  • Neither will the interior be much better, regarding materials, workmanship, overall quality. There could be new interior designs.
  • Software. Faster, better UI, more functionality, more ease of use. However, with a bit of luck you will get it as updates.
  • Autonomous driving. Here, it depends on two areas: Does it have enough and good enough sensors already? Retrofitting will be a pain or next to impossible. And does it have enough processing power? My guess would be that it does not have enough sensors and not enough processing power by far.
  • Battery technology. A 2023 Taycan should have a battery with 20% more capacity (wild guess, surely, there are better estimates out there), and other nifty battery improvements.
So the questions are:
If the answers are "really want more" and "very important", then I would likely lease. I think you will be able to upgrade the battery relatively easily (it is built that way, and there were documentations where Porsche people said that even individual modules in the battery can be exchanged relatively easily), but of course for a lot of money.

If you think you'll mostly want to drive the car yourself, not itself, and that the range should be good enough anyway, then the question of buying vs leasing becomes less one-sided. I'd probably buy, but that is more of a personal preference (I bought all my cars in my live except for one).

Cheers,
Henrik
Great summary of what I think will be the main advances in the next 5 years. I'm planning on driving my Turbo S for 5-6 years, so I'm confident I will be happy with the car 5 years from now, as opposed to regretting not getting that extra 20% range or additional 'self driving' features. I'm buying the car mainly for the performance, and I think it is one of the best looking cars on the road. I don't think either of these aspects will suffer significantly in the next 5 years.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Hello,

So the questions are:

If you think you'll mostly want to drive the car yourself, not itself, and that the range should be good enough anyway, then the question of buying vs leasing becomes less one-sided. I'd probably buy, but that is more of a personal preference (I bought all my cars in my live except for one).

Cheers,
Henrik
Here in California Bay Area if it’s going to be your daily driver it makes sense to lease for a few reasons first there’s the HOV access which is registered to the car for up to 3 years so. 2020 to the end of 2023 ( all HOV access in this program expires in 2025) makes your commute much easier. Second is the depreciation on a new model first year production EV. Third is improved range and autonomous driving availability ( the second year eTron has better range but the first years can’t be upgraded) That said to if you don’t live near a big city and this will not be your daily driver buying or financing would probably be the better option.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
ron_b, I haven’t heard any feedback from anyone who has driven a 4S, which is what I recall you are ordering. Did you ask whether your dealer has driven both and whether he had any observations on how the two compare?

- snip -
I asked my sales guy about this. Only 2 sales reps from Stevens Creek Porsche were allowed (or able) to go to training in Atlanta. He said they weren't provided a 4S to try "because they weren't making them yet."

He was actually quite bullish on the 4S. He thinks that it will be amazing because much of it is similar to the Turbo and Turbo S. He also mentioned that he *thinks* (he was terribly noncommittal about this) that there will be a Taycan model that will be less expensive than the 4S, but sale pre-orders are sufficient to hold the line there for now. He told me that he has 80 potential customers in the queue for the Taycan with deposits. I responded by telling him he will have his biggest sales year ever.

Anybody know the commission these guys get as a percentage of the vehicle price?

Porsche sold about 60,000 cars in the US last year and the Taycan is expected to help them beat that record.
Sponsored