Taycan Waiting Room: Who has ordered and a delivery date?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
ron_b, I haven’t heard any feedback from anyone who has driven a 4S, which is what I recall you are ordering. Did you ask whether your dealer has driven both and whether he had any observations on how the two compare?

I showed my wife your and BayAreaKen’s test drive reviews and she thinks I am going to get in trouble... I hope she is right and that the 4S is nearly as exciting to drive as the Turbo sounds like it was for you.
Sorry I didn't ask. I was looking on-line at a dozen Porsche dealerships in the Bay Area and Los Angeles and Palm Springs. I only saw Turbo and Turbo S models. And several reviews also said 4S would not be available until Q2. I have no personal fears of the 420hp vs 500hp in overboost or 360 vs 460 normal being too doggie. It would no doubt be noticable to justify the ~$40k price difference (plus there are included options too like better breaks and wheels etc). My issue is that I still would want at least $20k more options even with turbo and that's just more than where I want to be.

I'll have to live with a 155mph top speed and 3.8 sec 0-60.
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I also had a short test drive today in the same Taycan Turbo that @BayAreaKen spoke and provided photos of above.

I stopped in dealership rather impromptu, my salesperson, Daniel, was very kind and had a few minutes to let me take it out with my son. We used the Electric Sport Sound, I can say it was not over the top and seemed quite mellow. With all the traffic in that area I was not able to tune in to the car as much as I would have liked. My son said the sound was a very Star Wars like, and my salesperson mentioned it was actually created with assistance from the Star Wars folks, so I assume Lucas Films, unconfirmed. The one thing he found unusual was that while stopped at a light it's still made a low hum, he is also experienced in EVs and knows that there would be no motor running while waiting at a light. But I can think that the sound is really providing feedback on the readiness of the vehicle.

While on some 'nameless' road I can state that the car jumps to triple digits all to easily and feels infinity composed. I have done a couple T* test drives too, and they are quite nimble at getting to speed, but I did really enjoy the low seating position and the confidence it gives.

I was rather late on getting my deposit in so my position is quite late.

Now I wait.... (With anticipation )
Ron, Porsche is/has collaborated with the makers of Star Wars so that doesn't surprise me.
https://nieuws.porsche.nl/video-porsche-x-star-wars-the-designer-alliance/

The sound, it's compulsory by law as of june 2019 EVs should have sound (AVAS: Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System).
On the Taycan there's this "humm" which is mandatory and there's the Sport Sound which is selectable: on or off.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/sound-18556.html

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
We used the Electric Sport Sound, I can say it was not over the top and seemed quite mellow. With all the traffic in that area I was not able to tune in to the car as much as I would have liked. My son said the sound was a very Star Wars like, and my salesperson mentioned it was actually created with assistance from the Star Wars folks, be no motor running while waiting at a light.
Btw, from the manual it seems that that sound is different in sports plus mode vs sport mode.
I didn’t notice during my test drive, but wasn’t paying attention.

gives me a reason for another test drive. ;)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Ron, Porsche is/has collaborated with the makers of Star Wars so that doesn't surprise me.
What I gathered from a test drive vid with Porsche in Zuffenhausen, which was all about the sound: The Porsche spokesperson said that their EV racing drivers at the beginning complained that they cannot hear the engine. In the ICEs that audio feedback is very import to them. So Porsche used microphones at the electric motor but the high pitch whine is harsh. In the Taycan they synthesize the sound to the likes of Star Wars.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What I gathered from a test drive vid with Porsche in Zuffenhausen, which was all about the sound: The Porsche spokesperson said that their EV racing drivers at the beginning complained that they cannot hear the engine. In the ICEs that audio feedback is very import to them. So Porsche used microphones at the electric motor but the high pitch whine is harsh. In the Taycan they synthesize the sound to the likes of Star Wars.
With so much discussion on the sound I started a new thread with an article from Porsche Newsroom

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/the-porsche-sound-a-special-auditory-experience.742/

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Btw, from the manual it seems that that sound is different in sports plus mode vs sport mode.
This makes sense, as the sound is apparently amplification and mild processing of noises from the electric motor itself. In different modes, the motor would naturally make different sounds, so it stands to reason that it would be different when amplified.

RobboWWFC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered my 4S back in November 2nd 2019....As yet I have not been given a build date or anything. Rang my dealer last week, she explained that everything was in hand and confirmed at their end, Just no news yet on the 4S's

One thing I did want to ask everyone...My budget was pretty tight and I couldn't afford the £4K battery pack upgrade option. Reading through it seems that a very large % of the 4S purchasers have gone for this. I'm not bothered about increased power, I'm happy with the lower 430hp....and I don't have range anxiety I have a charger at home and at my office where I'm based 80% of the time whilst in the UK.

What I am concerened about is the maximum amount of speed that the smaller battery will charge at. I'm sure I read somewhere that the smaller battery does not include the DC port and doesn't charge anywhere near as quickly as the larger battery option.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,

that the smaller battery does not include the DC port and doesn't charge anywhere near as quickly as the larger battery option.
That sounds wrong. The effect on maximum charging energy flow should be linear to the capacity. And as you remove the performance battery, the remaining modules should charge just as quickly as they would if the performance battery would be present. The time per module should actually not change at all, thus the time for the whole battery neither.

You will charge less "total energy per unit of time", equivalent to "less range per unit of time". But overall, I wouldn't care.

Cheers,
Henrik

RobboWWFC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is a separate option that affects the charging speed: "On board 150kw/400v charger."
Yeah had that included in my options list. So does that mean with the on board 150kw charger option the smaller battery will charge quickly like the turbo version and the 4S with bigger battery?

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
So does that mean with the on board 150kw charger option the smaller battery will charge quickly like the turbo version and the 4S with bigger battery?
In my world, yes. But no guarantees, of course.

Cheers,
Henrik

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered my 4S back in November 2nd 2019....As yet I have not been given a build date or anything. Rang my dealer last week, she explained that everything was in hand and confirmed at their end, Just no news yet on the 4S's

One thing I did want to ask everyone...My budget was pretty tight and I couldn't afford the £4K battery pack upgrade option. Reading through it seems that a very large % of the 4S purchasers have gone for this. I'm not bothered about increased power, I'm happy with the lower 430hp....and I don't have range anxiety I have a charger at home and at my office where I'm based 80% of the time whilst in the UK.

What I am concerened about is the maximum amount of speed that the smaller battery will charge at. I'm sure I read somewhere that the smaller battery does not include the DC port and doesn't charge anywhere near as quickly as the larger battery option.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
All Taycan's have a DC Port for sure, no worries there. The difference with the smaller vs larger Battery+ is the max DC Charging rate. The larger pack allows up to 270kW (today, Porsche says in several places that they hope to increate this with S/W) and the smaller pack is limited to 225kW.
See article https://www.motor1.com/news/376144/2020-porsche-taycan-4s-official-debut/

Also this very fast charging is only available on 800v stations (Ionity/ElectrifyAmerica and very few others).
Most DCFC stations are 400v and would only give you 50kW unless you spring for the 150kW on-board DC-DC converter option under E-Mobility. I certainly plan on that as there are just so many non-800v cars to proliferate these 400v chargers for years to come.

Enjoy your Taycan!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Just been told that I need to lock down my specification for the 4S by end of Jan. March build confirmed. Delivery end of April. But there could be changes to delivery date...

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Just been told that I need to lock down my specification for the 4S by end of Jan. March build confirmed. Delivery end of April. But there could be changes to delivery date...

Lockdown for mine around the same time. Hoping for no more delays
Sponsored