DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
While I wait for my Taycan to be delivered, I find myself second-guessing all of the choices that went into the final spec. (Probably not the only one on this forum!) Most of the time I come back to the same conclusions. Except for the wheels. It’s not that I’m unhappy with my choice - it is more a case of not being happy with ANY of the wheel designs. Whereas Porsche has come up with iconic designs in the past which complement the body designs perfectly, I can’t see that being the case on the Taycan. Perhaps the closest are the Mission E wheels. However, in real life they look a bit ‘try hard tron’ and anyway they have challenged aerodynamics. What about the other choices?

The 19 inch wheels… I really wanted to like the the Taycan Aero Wheels. But they are oddly a-symmetric and (as some have observed) look like hub caps. The Taycan S Aero Wheels appear to be identical, with the addition of some black paint (@$2.4K in Australia) to highlight the asymmetries. Pass.

The 20 inch wheels… Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels borrow the design of the iconic Turbo wheels and fill in some of the gaps to make them more aero. Not bad (and my choice) but they are a half-way house… kind of iconic, kind of aero, kind of a compromise. The Sport Aero Wheels are OK too - yet to my eye they are too close to the design of the fussy wheels that belong on a Mercedes S-Class. In both cases, the designers have partially filled the area and painted The fill-ins black to try to fool the eye.

The 21 Inch wheels… Taycan Exclusive Design Wheels are not bad (and good to see that the left and right side design are mirror-image), and perhaps this is close to the overall design language of the Taycan. And yet to my eye it is still a clash. RS Spyder - another borrowed concept that is OK, but not brilliant.

Come on Porsche, where is the equivalent of the Fuchs wheel for the Taycan?!
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Good news is you can get fuchs style or even turbo fan style wheels. Rotiform.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP
OP

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
My strategy was to select only the winter wheel/tire combination from Porsche's Taycan options, and purchase Fuchs-style wheels and summer tires separately. Then I arranged with my employer to spend the last two winters working from Florida, so I haven't had to put the Porsche wheels back on!
858AA0B0-A497-4C63-9916-D584D799CB28.jpeg
@Genau, They look fabulous! Winter is an overrated concept - well done on avoiding it!

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
@Genau, They look fabulous! Winter is an overrated concept - well done on avoiding it!
But winter in Florida is like our (UK) summer?
I’ve mostly driven RW cars until I changed to 4x4’s a few years back and in all the decades I drove RW only twice did I have problems with summer tyres on RW drive, both when it snowed.
I jumped into the wife’s car on those two occasions - problem solved.
I’m also struggling with options, particularly wheels!
My current config includes Mission E’s but while I still think they’re just about the best looking (they looked fantastic on that sexy original Taycan concept) but the price is crazy due to the ceramic coating etc which may prevent dust but how much dust will you generate as its mostly the engine that slows you.
I quite like the new RS ones - tough decision
and need to decide soon
Sponsored

Last edited: