gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Tesla will open its vast network of superchargers to other makes of electric cars in a landmark move expected to increase the uptake of plug-in vehicles but prove unpopular with the brand’s customers.

The American manufacturer has launched a pilot in the UK that will open 15 charging stations, with 159 superchargers, to all electric-car drivers.

Its supercharger network has grown to more than 30,000 chargers worldwide since its launch in 2012, with 800 devices in the UK.

The network is celebrated for its reliability and has become a key selling point for the brand.

The move to open the network to drivers of other electric vehicles is expected to be criticised by Tesla owners but the company insists that it will closely monitor congestion at charging stations.

The superchargers can add 60 miles of range in less than five minutes. Drivers can use the chargers after setting up an account on the Tesla app.
People can opt to become a member and pay a monthly fee of £10.99, which will grant access to cheaper kWh pricing. Non-members will pay a higher rate of about 0.60p a kWh, but prices vary by site.
Ginny Buckley, the founder of Electrifying.com, an electric vehicle marketplace, said: “There will be a large number of electric car drivers who will be overjoyed that they will be able to use the supercharger network at last.
“But it’s certain to be controversial among the fast-growing ranks of Tesla owners.

“The reliable, quick and plentiful chargers have been a major selling point but there are already complaints that the superchargers are getting busier as sales of its cars have increased rapidly.
“If Tesla were to use the money generated from charging to fund an expansion of the network, this would help to alleviate charging anxiety that we know so many consumers have, whilst also enabling the supercharger network to expand rapidly.”
More than 77,000 new electric cars have been sold in the UK this year, an increase of 88 per cent year-on-year.
Simon Williams, the RAC’s spokesman on electric vehicles, said: “The fact Tesla’s widely praised charging network will start to be opened up to other electric car drivers is great news for the wider EV community — but perhaps not such good news for Tesla drivers themselves.”

The pilot started in November last year but so far has only been active in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France and Norway. The expansion last night brings in the UK, Spain, Sweden and Austria.
“Access to an extensive, convenient and reliable fast-charging network is critical for large-scale EV adoption,” Tesla said.
“That’s why, since opening our first superchargers in 2012, we have been committed to rapid expansion of the network.
“Today, we have more than 30,000 superchargers worldwide.
“Tesla drivers can continue to use these stations as they always have, and we will be closely monitoring each site for congestion and listening to customers about their experiences.
“More customers using the supercharger network enables faster expansion. Our goal is to learn and iterate quickly, while continuing to aggressively expand the network, so we can eventually welcome both Tesla and non-Tesla drivers at every supercharger worldwide.”

Tesla’s charging network opens to all electric cars | News | The Times
Sponsored

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Tesla’s UK charging network opens to all electric cars IMG_20220519_063234

Don't think I will be driving over to Essex.

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What I am not clear is this.

1.Are all Tesla superchargers 400v?
2. What max charge will I get from a 400v SC without the 150 onboard booster
3. Will I get a potential 250kw from a 800v SC if they exist.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What I am not clear is this.

1.Are all Tesla superchargers 400v?
2. What max charge will I get from a 400v SC without the 150 onboard booster
3. Will I get a potential 250kw from a 800v SC if they exist.
1. Yes

2. 50kW given the 400v standard on board charger.

3. Max will be 270kW from a 350KW EVSE depending on many factors outwith your control and for a short period .if EVSE is 250kW (800v) then you would expect that level of charge (max for the same reasons).

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone know where there is an info resource available listing which Tesla sites are open to use by other brands? Will Porsche charger planning software be updated to reflect this? Perhaps forum members from territories where the Tesla pilot has been longer running could advise on this?

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone know where there is an info resource available listing which Tesla sites are open to use by other brands? Will Porsche charger planning software be updated to reflect this?
Porsche Taycan Tesla’s UK charging network opens to all electric cars IMG_20220519_090517
Perhaps forum members from territories where the Tesla pilot has been longer running could advise on this?
Download the Tesla app. See screenshot above. There is a Non Tesla EV charging section.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Does anyone know where there is an info resource available listing which Tesla sites are open to use by other brands? Will Porsche charger planning software be updated to reflect this? Perhaps forum members from territories where the Tesla pilot has been longer running could advise on this?
You can see it in the Tesla app. Works fine here in Norway. Have yet to go to one because the pricing is ludicrous compared to our 1.85 NOK Ionity prices.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Got to tesla.com, Charging, Find Tesla. You get a map with all Tesla service centers and superchargers.
You can filter on 'Supercharger for non-Tesla's'.

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
Here's the link for what Jasper mentioned

Tesla Supercharger Map

You can filter by the ones available to non-Teslas

Rusk

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
So none of the motorway service station ones that I can spot on the map. Surely that is the only actually useful ones?

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So none of the motorway service station ones that I can spot on the map. Surely that is the only actually useful ones?
That is why it is called a pilot. Presumably Tesla don't want to annoy their drivers.

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the name of science I popped over to Grays to Tesla charge. I preconditioned the battery to 31*c. As predicted 45kwh-50kwh without the 150 onboard booster. Of course Tesla is rumoured to upgrade to 800v at some point. Not a wasted trip. Lakeside shopping centre.
Porsche Taycan Tesla’s UK charging network opens to all electric cars IMG_20220520_091956
Porsche Taycan Tesla’s UK charging network opens to all electric cars IMG_20220520_090948
Porsche Taycan Tesla’s UK charging network opens to all electric cars IMG_20220520_091018
Porsche Taycan Tesla’s UK charging network opens to all electric cars Screenshot_2022-05-20-09-24-28-396_com.teslamotors.tesla

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
In the name of science I popped over to Grays to Tesla charge. I preconditioned the battery to 31*c. As predicted 45kwh-50kwh without the 150 onboard booster. Of course Tesla is rumoured to upgrade to 800v at some point. Not a wasted trip. Lakeside shopping centre.
IMG_20220520_091956.jpg
IMG_20220520_090948.jpg
IMG_20220520_091018.jpg
Screenshot_2022-05-20-09-24-28-396_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
thanks for this - it's great data!!!

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was hoping to park next to a load of Tesla cars to make their owners green with envy! You can see why they are opening up the network. Their sites are running at such low capacity. This site is the M25 stop before the tunnel / bridge. They could make a fortune given the non Tesla EV take up in the UK. Musk is a nutjob but he isn't stupid and he loves money.

Last edited: