Tesla admits FSD is a pipe dream

RecoveringGT3Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Country flag
I know I paid 5 or 6K back in 2017 for FSD. It was supposed to be released end of 2016 IIRC. Riiiight.

It certainly is a pipe dream the way things are going. And every timeframe Elon gives for it being ready or really any feature at all is just a lie. Things never unfold as he announces. I would never pay 10K for potential vaporware.

I really don't like the lane keeping ability to be honest, it never quite drives like me :p Sometimes it drifts and I often just turn it off unless it's a long straight highway and I'm not in the right lane. But I do like the traffic light/stop sign detection and I do like that it beeps when the light turns green. There are definitely some neat features. And the drivetrain itself has been flawless all this time.

But FSD. Not even close to a reality.
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Tesla’s lane keeping capability is at least 2x better than Porsche’s.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Tesla’s lane keeping capability is at least 2x better than Porsche’s.
I’ve been using the tire angle adjustment wheel locating in front of the instrument cluster for lane keeping. So far, so good. When I want audible feedback, I bring my wife.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
They don't need to.....
while I agree with this - I don't believe Porsche needs to "chase" Tesla to make their Active Lane Keeping better - as it stands now their Lane Keeping is perhaps on the bottom end of quality vs. other vehicles (Tesla included but not exclusively) - it quite frankly is almost embarrassing how bad it is vs. virtually any other vehicle with similar capabilities

I know we're all drivers here and claim we don't want the car driving us - as a daily driver my vehicle has to fill multiple roles and that sometimes includes relaxing the demands on me as a driver when I'm engaged in point a to point b driving that could offer me a more relaxed vigilance so I arrive more refreshed at my destination - Porsche's lane keeping is pretty bad and falls below minimum standards vs. say a sub $30k Honda…

while I don't require improvements I would not turn them down and Porsche should be able to easily improve in this space without having to "chase" Tesla.

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
while I agree with this - I don't believe Porsche needs to "chase" Tesla to make their Active Lane Keeping better - as it stands now their Lane Keeping is perhaps on the bottom end of quality vs. other vehicles (Tesla included but not exclusively) - it quite frankly is almost embarrassing how bad it is vs. virtually any other vehicle with similar capabilities

I know we're all drivers here and claim we don't want the car driving us - as a daily driver my vehicle has to fill multiple roles and that sometimes includes relaxing the demands on me as a driver when I'm engaged in point a to point b driving that could offer me a more relaxed vigilance so I arrive more refreshed at my destination - Porsche's lane keeping is pretty bad and falls below minimum standards vs. say a sub $30k Honda…

while I don't require improvements I would not turn them down and Porsche should be able to easily improve in this space without having to "chase" Tesla.
That’s fair. My point was about Porsche vs Tesla.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

Lane keeping works absolutely fine for me here in Europe. Barely had any issues or pingpong. I guess it’s another „developed in Europe“ thing.

All the Porsche vs Tesla comparison is still besides the point that Tesla has been screwing their customers since day one with false FSD promises.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
All the Porsche vs Tesla comparison is still besides the point that Tesla has been screwing their customers since day one with false FSD promises.
this is true - Elon and FSD is perhaps one of Tesla's worse offenses - it's just pathetic - and detracts from their excellent driver asssitance technologies which are some of the best available - but FSD is a pipe dream and Tesla is lying to their customer's about it - and worse collecting money for a feature set they can never deliver.

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
this is true - Elon and FSD is perhaps one of Tesla's worse offenses - it's just pathetic - and detracts from their excellent driver asssitance technologies which are some of the best available - but FSD is a pipe dream and Tesla is lying to their customer's about it - and worse collecting money for a feature set they can never deliver.
it’s also there largest source of net income and margin! Hilarious.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
as a daily driver my vehicle has to fill multiple roles and that sometimes includes relaxing the demands on me as a driver
I can appreciate that’s true for you if you can appreciate it’s not for me. I have no need or desire for my car (even my DD) to do anything that resembles driving itself.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Lane keeping works absolutely fine for me here in Europe. Barely had any issues or pingpong. I guess it’s another „developed in Europe“ thing.
I may be wrong but the average lane width on a US highway is probably at least 50% wider than a lane in Europe. Maybe this has something to do with it.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
While I agree that most times it feels like ALK is (literally) out to sea, one thing I do like about it is that it doesn’t YANK the wheel out of your hand upon engagement as it centers the car in the lane.

I’m hoping for some old-fashioned agile continuous improvement to kick in any time now…

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are 3 entities involved at this time and this is what each has to say. From their websites. At least until the class action guys get involved and get to look at Tesla's internal documents and emails.

Tesla says this on Full Self-Driving Capability plus you would have to add Elon's comments.
All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.

The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving capabilities are introduced, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

NHTSA says this
NHTSA is committed to saving lives, removing regulatory barriers to innovative safety technology and facilitating the safe testing of self-driving technology. That includes ensuring this technology undergoes laboratory testing, simulations, and testing on tracks before these vehicles are deployed on public roads.

The FTC says this
When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. The FTC enforces these truth-in-advertising laws, and it applies the same standards no matter where an ad appears – in newspapers and magazines, online, in the mail, or on billboards or buses.
The issues look like what customers were led to believe about FSD from multiple company sources and whether the Company was using the general public as guinea pigs in its testing program.
Sponsored