Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
They way most people drive today I think FSD should NEVER happen. It's bad enough people, especially teens, do everything behind the wheel except drive!

Social media posting/reading, texting, facetime, eating, make-up application, etc... Idiocracy is upon us and it's getting worse.
I'd make the argument that you are proving the point of those who want autonomous driving to happen. So many people are forced to drive when they'd rather not, and paying that amount of attention. So why not ferry them someplace safely?
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I presume nobody for whom a Taycan is an ideal car would consider a fully autonomous car as the sort of thing they would like to own.
Full autonomy on a Merc EQS would be attractive to some people, probably including me about 4 times a year, but on a sports car why?

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I presume nobody for whom a Taycan is an ideal car would consider a fully autonomous car as the sort of thing they would like to own.
Full autonomy on a Merc EQS would be attractive to some people, probably including me about 4 times a year, but on a sports car why?
Exactly. There's definitely great uses for autonomous cars. I imagine wanting to take a road trip and just starting out at night, sleeping in the car, and waking up at your destination. I think this sort of autonomy is still a long way off, but I don't doubt I see it in my lifetime.

Even in a Taycan it would be useful for those longer trips stuck at the same speed for hours. Living in West Texas, I can assure you driving everywhere 8 hours east or west isn't exactly exciting from a visual standpoint , and it would be cool to read a book or watch a movie while the car does all the work.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Why? I'd love to drive the Taycan to the airport and have it drive itself home, then summon it when I'm back. Or maybe take a nap or do a call when stuck in traffic. Or even send the car a day ahead when I'm traveling somewhere for a week and I would prefer to fly somewhere and car meet me there. Or send the car to drop my kids off to an activity when I'm busy. Etc, etc.

Not everyone for whom a Taycan is an ideal car only drives it around the track, or open road trips.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why? I'd love to drive the Taycan to the airport and have it drive itself home, then summon it when I'm back. Or maybe take a nap or do a call when stuck in traffic. Or even send the car a day ahead when I'm traveling somewhere for a week and I would prefer to fly somewhere and car meet me there. Or send the car to drop my kids off to an activity when I'm busy. Etc, etc.

Not everyone for whom a Taycan is an ideal car only drives it around the track, or open road trips.
I don't do track days but I live in the UK and I am sure if I lived in the USA an autonomous car would appeal - straight roads and much, much longer journeys.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't do track days but I live in the UK and I am sure if I lived in the USA an autonomous car would appeal - straight roads and much, much longer journeys.
You guys don't gave gridlock in the UK, have ample free, secure parking with EV charginf at all airports, have free rides for your kids whenever they want to go somewhere with their friends, etc? Or do you simply enjoy driving in traffic, etc?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
But to expand upon your point. Ford's Blue Cruise is just about ready for widespread roll out and GM's Super Cruise is out there, and going to be rapidly expanded. Both of these have the same problem that ALL advanced Level 2 ADAS systems have. They lull the driver into a false sense of security even though the driver is supposed to be an active part of the monitoring system. The biggest difference with the systems is in the driver monitoring, in that the steering wheel sensors are pretty easy to keep engaged by pulling or flicking buttons while not maintaining that much attention to the road. Whereas the eye tracking of Ford / GM (and BMW and Mercedes) is a little more apt to get you to pay attention.

I guess my point is that Tesla's system encourages more bad behavior but really it's more of a systemic problem than a manufacturer specific one.
except you said it yourself. Other manufacturers implement robust monitoring to force the driver to lay attention, while Tesla almost purposefully makes it trivial to NOT pay attention and calls it “autopilot.” Its a sick game of wink and nudge but played with the lives of others. Just to look cool.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
except you said it yourself. Other manufacturers implement robust monitoring to force the driver to lay attention, while Tesla almost purposefully makes it trivial to NOT pay attention and calls it “autopilot.” Its a sick game of wink and nudge but played with the lives of others. Just to look cool.
I was referring to Level 5 autonomy and whether people would be interested in it on cars like Taycan - IMO absolutely. Tesla FSD is an early stage experiment. I have to give credit to Elon though, it's no small feat getting people to pay thousands of dollars to test his stuff, genius.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You guys don't gave gridlock in the UK, have ample free, secure parking with EV charginf at all airports, have free rides for your kids whenever they want to go somewhere with their friends, etc? Or do you simply enjoy driving in traffic, etc?
I don't, no, and I was referring to me and my preferences.
Certainly the traffic density is much higher here than 40 years ago, and it makes a choice of any sporty car completely illogical, but I rarely encounter grid lock anywhere I go. I almost never take my Ferrari any more because overtaking is pointless though and the Taycan will replace it.
I have adaptive cruise control and that is effective in the traffic congestion I encounter a few times a year (probably fewer than 20) but I find it quite stressful wondering whether it won't work properly so I am always concentrating 100% when it is in use. It is pretty useless in average traffic because it over reacts and reacts too early, I drive much more smoothly than it ever manages. I usually leave it off and deliberately chose not to have it on my Taycan.
After suffering an international airport experience every week for 35 years I have chosen not to go anywhere by air again but that isn't relevant to autonomy.
You are probably the same age as my kids ;)

I can understand autonomous cars appealing to US citizens given my experience driving there over the last 50 years and how much worse it is now than in 1970 when I did my first North American road trip (Milwaukee to Montreal).

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Eye monitoring is not "robust". It can easily be fooled. Just not as easily as the torque sensor.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Eye monitoring is not "robust". It can easily be fooled. Just not as easily as the torque sensor.
how can it be easily fooled, specially with IR sensors?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It really depends on how it's implemented, but I bet even not great implementation of eye monitoring is harder to fool than a torque sensor which can be fooled with a simple weight (e.g. famous orange wedged into Model 3 steering wheel). Advanced version could be next to impossible to fool without specialized equipment (think Apple face ID).

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I was referring to Level 5 autonomy and whether people would be interested in it on cars like Taycan - IMO absolutely.
I am interested in any Level on any car - as long as it is an option, otherwise a bit too much public bus/train/airplane feeling?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't, no, and I was referring to me and my preferences.
That is not what you wrote sounds like:
Unless of course your claim is that you are the only person in the world to whom "a Taycan is an ideal car". ;)

You are probably the same age as my kids ;)
That might very well be true. Does that explain however why you presumed that if you are not interested in autonomy, nobody else for whom a Taycan is an ideal car would be either? ?

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
That is not what you wrote sounds like:

Unless of course your claim is that you are the only person in the world to whom "a Taycan is an ideal car". ;)

That might very well be true. Does that explain however why you presumed that if you are not interested in autonomy, nobody else for whom a Taycan is an ideal car would be either? ?
I love driving my Taycan. I'd also love a fully autonomous EQS where I could nap in the back seat on my way to & from work. ?‍♂
Sponsored