chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Despite lots of wrangling with HEM (Home Energy Manager) settings, timers and profiles, I was never able to get my Taycan to charge all the way to the 90% I specified in my timer. I decided to rip the bulky PWCC wall setup down and replace it with a Tesla gen 3 wall charger, which is super compact and wires up as simply as a light fitting.

Porsche Taycan Tesla Gen 3 wall charger works better than the PWCC 1659486361016

To my (and my electrician's) relief, the car charges just fine!

Porsche Taycan Tesla Gen 3 wall charger works better than the PWCC 1659486474488

What's more surprising however, is that the charging throughput is much more stable, and as a result, I am finally waking up to a car that's charged to the intended level by the specified time!!

Porsche Taycan Tesla Gen 3 wall charger works better than the PWCC 1659486592725

I now see why many owners opted for their own wall chargers instead of the unit that Porsche offers.

Edit: corrected PMCC to PWCC

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Can you describe how you had it setup before that didn’t work with the PMCC vs how you have it setup now?

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Can you describe how you had it setup before that didn’t work with the PMCC vs how you have it setup now?
HEM installed in my meter box, connected to my wifi, and configured with my time-of-use electricity tariffs
PMCC installed in the wall charger enclosure (on the floor in one of my photos above), connected to the same wifi, and confirmed connection to HEM over wifi
Taycan configured with a 90% timer and 25% optimised charging profile

It would be inaccurate to say the PMCC "didn't work"; it charged when I wanted it to, but the charge throughput was not stable enough to reach the target %.

Here is my household power draw for the last 4 charges: Tesla charger at the top, PMCC the other 3.
Porsche Taycan Tesla Gen 3 wall charger works better than the PWCC 1659489475344

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is the line and what are the pink bars?

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
What is the line and what are the pink bars?
The pink bars are the power draw in kWh for each 30 minute block. It is almost dead stable in the first chart, but wavers in the others, sometimes with big drops.

Not sure what the line is.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yes this is true - Porsche's EVSE are not their best effort or even close to the best EVSE available on the market. It turns out the Tesla's EVSE's are excellent products and not just for Tesla's - they work for all EV's and they work way way way way better than any of the Porsche offerings.

I high recommend non-Porsche/VW/Audi EVSE charging equipment over the VW/Audi/Porsche offerings.

The Tesla wall charger products are in fact very affordable and excellent solutions - but in North America require the use of a TeslaTap or similar to charge non-Tesla vehicles - minor annoyance, but functionally superior to the PMC+/PMCC/PWCC…

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
But works great in euro countries at least

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
HEM, wifi, power draw, huh?

My charger is wired to my fuse box. I plug the car in and it charges to whatever I select.

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
Unfortunately not too many options available for the 80A EVSE, only the PWCC and the Clippercreek, which is ugly as sin and $500 more expensive to boot.

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Unfortunately not too many options available for the 80A EVSE, only the PWCC and the Clippercreek, which is ugly as sin and $500 more expensive to boot.
It's not a looker, that's for sure! :giggle: However it is quite flat against the wall, unlike the PWCC which sticks out far further than it has any reason to.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@chylld What do you mean by "HEM"? I guess you are not using the Porsche Home Energy Management System? Are you?

The bulky (black) look is because of Porsche Design. They are more keen on their "design" than on the technical consequences this results in for the actual product.

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
What do you mean by "HEM"? I guess you are not using the Porsche Home Energy Management System? Are you?
HEM = Home Energy Manager, I think the same thing you are referring to. Looks like this:
Porsche Taycan Tesla Gen 3 wall charger works better than the PWCC 1659515136606

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What role did the HEM play in the charging? Did you just want to charge to 90% by 7am everyday? Because I don’t think the HEM was necessary for that.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@chylld Yes, that's the device I was referring to. This is quite an implication and what you are seeing has nothing to do with the PWCC charger!

How does charging work with PWCC/PMCC (not PMC+!!), Porsche HEMS and Taycan:

- The HEMS knows about your energy tariffs and will communicate via the charger with the Taycan
- The PWCC/PMCC communicate with the Taycan via ISO15118-2 (TCP/IP based)
- The energy demands (in kWh and target time and includes what goes into the battery and also heating or cooling) will be exchanged between the Taycan and the HEMS when the profile is set to "optimized charging"
- The profile SoC is a direct demand which needs to be reached as quick as possible. The Taycan sends the needed amount of kWh to the HEMS and will demand maximum power until that SoC is reached, independent of the energy tariff
- The timer SoC and target time is then send to the HEMS and the HEMS sends back an recommended most cost effective charging plan considering the amount of kWh is needed and the pricing structure. The pricing data is also send back to the Taycan. Please note that in some countries like the US the pricing depends no the amount of power being drawn while in other countries the pricing depends only on when power is drawn.
- The Car then calculates its own power plan, using the suggested plan as input and returns back that plan to the HEMS. This plan only includes maximum power values over timeframes, e.g. 15 to 60 minutes and other than that the amount of energy in kWh the car wants to use
- The only thing the HEMS now can do is to limit the maximum power output if it sees issues that there might be an overload risk
- The only thing the charger does in all this is translate the data coming from the EV via ISO15118-2 into EEBUS to send it to the HEMS, and vice versa for the data being sent back. At no time does the PWCC/PMCC define any charging limits
- Only the car decides on how much power it draws at a given time with the maximum power being provided by the HEMS and the electrical setup provided by the PWCC/PMCC
- Only if the car tries to draw more power than allowed, the PWCC/PMCC will disallow further charging, cancel the connection and show an error
- There are more things happening when charging via excess solar energy, but that's not related to this issue here

How does charging work with PWCC/PMCC and and Taycan:

- The PWCC/PMCC communicate with the Taycan via ISO15118-2 (TCP/IP based)
- The PWCC/PMCC provides the maximum power the EV can draw based on the electrical setup
- Only if the car tries to draw more power than allowed, the PWCC/PMCC will disallow further charging, cancel the connection and show an error
- The EV has no information about any energy tariffs and will decide upon the charging plan all on its own
- Only the car decides on how much power it draws at a given time

How does charging work with any other charger (including PMC+) and Taycan:

- The charger communicate with the Taycan via PWM (J-1772/IEC61851)
- The charger provides the maximum power the EV can draw based on the electrical setup
- Only if the car tries to draw more power than allowed, the charger will disallow further charging, cancel the connection and show an error
- The EV has no information about any energy tariffs and will decide upon the charging plan all on its own
- Only the car decides on how much power it draws at a given time

So the reason why the car is not reaching its SoC is the car itself. The algorithm seems to have issues when getting more data via the HEMS than when having no data. This is not a bug in the PWCC/PMCC or HEMS, but in the OBC of the EV.
Right now the Porsche HEMS in your setup does nothing, as it has no EVSE to talk to.

@daveo4EV Please try to differentiate what you are seeing with the PMCC and other things that happen to other users and setups. For your use case the PMCC seems to cause issues, but that doesn't mean that the device is crap for everyone. I know that it is extremely hard to get Porsche acknowledge and fix issues, but there is a way.

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Thanks @AndiL for the super-detailed explanations. However I think you have illustrated my point that the Porsche setup is over-complicated.

Where did I go wrong with HEM, PWCC and/or car settings to never see the car reach the charge level I requested? Why do I need to read pages of system process flows from experts on forums to simply get the car to charge when I want it to?
Sponsored