Tesla Model S crushes Taycan’s Nürburgring time

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Utter BS. One is a pre-production model with production aero, brakes, wheels, ride height (all of which your picture clearly shows!) that can be ordered now, the other plainly has no performance-relevant components available from Tesla at this time.
So it was OK for Porsche to bait and switch for 4 years with the Mission e and its suicide doors, no mirrors, different profile, etc. but Tesla can't run a development mule for a car that is one year (not 4 years) away from production? Really?
Sponsored

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Competition is great! and fun to watch the developments....Competition will make both companies produce better vehicles and bring attention to how great electric cars are!

Well.....Tesla ran a stripped down prototype, not an actual production vehicle. I speculate that the automatic performance shutdown due to battery overheating was also shut down as well, but HOPEFULLY, Tesla has been working on better battery temperature management system, steering and stability control so it can actually "compete" with the Taycan on real sports car performances as well as sustained performance. Its one thing for an experienced driver to run a car fast that has an inferior steering and stability control, and its another to have an inexperienced driver run the car fast.
- The issue with Model S continuous performance was not battery overheating, it was motor temperature. Tesla moved to permanent magnet motors in the Model 3 and addressed that issue. It is likely that three of those same motors power the Plaid version of Model S
- Are you familiar with Track Mode on the Model 3? In addition to different vehicle dynamics control it boosts the cooling function for track usage.
- Did you read any of the Model 3 test drive reports from the major auto publications worldwide? They uniformly praised the handling of Model 3 as being precise and balanced.

It is not surprising that Tesla is now incorporating the learning from Model 3 into a higher performance, track capable version of Model S. There is a link below where Tesla reveals what they did for Track Mode. It illustrates that Tesla is serious about handling and track performance. BTW my son's friend is a test driver for Tesla. He spent two weeks at Thunderhill Raceway in NorCal working on tuning track mode. Then they took the car to Willow Springs, CA for further refinement working with racer Randy Pobst.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/how-track-mode-works

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tes...erformance-track-mode-release-version-review/

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
The Tesla Model S being used in these tests also have stripped down interiors for weight savings :rolleyes:

Besides a safety cage, a driver's seat and a dashboard, the Tesla's interior is empty. There's no backseats nor passenger seats.

OP
OP
Moo

Moo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
With the help of a stopwatch by a bystander, the red Model S prototype was the quickest of the two during their time on the track, achieving a 7min 24sec lap over Nurburgring’s entire 20.8 km distance, not just Bridge-to-Gantry as speculated earlier. Using the same method, the blue car managed a 7min 40sec time.

It’s pretty obvious that we still can’t draw any conclusions about Tesla’s quest on beating Porsche in their own turf. The two prototypes will eventually morph into a production version towards the end of next year, but their totally stripped interiors means that they enjoy a significant weight advantage over the Porsche Taycan, which is a normal, series-production model.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/t...ows-its-gutted-interior-in-new-spy-shots/amp/

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
With the help of a stopwatch by a bystander, the red Model S prototype was the quickest of the two during their time on the track, achieving a 7min 24sec lap over Nurburgring’s entire 20.8 km distance, not just Bridge-to-Gantry as speculated earlier. Using the same method, the blue car managed a 7min 40sec time.

It’s pretty obvious that we still can’t draw any conclusions about Tesla’s quest on beating Porsche in their own turf. The two prototypes will eventually morph into a production version towards the end of next year, but their totally stripped interiors means that they enjoy a significant weight advantage over the Porsche Taycan, which is a normal, series-production model.
/
Ummmm

uuuuuhmmmmmm.....the Red one then couldn't even finish the laps....LOL

Two things:
1). How did Tesla run the whole lap? On Touristenfahrten days and Track days, drivers are only allowed to drive 11.9 miles of the 12.94 mile track....unless somehow they got an acception?

2). On another run, the red Tesla could not even finish!!! I speculate probably overheated batteries! I speculated before that on this Tesla prototype, Tesla probably turned off the software that shuts down performance mode when the battery overheats......This red Tesla probably needs a new battery pack. I am no speculating that the Tesla in NOT ready for production of the Plaid Model S until it significantly catches up with Porsche on battery temperature management system. It never ceases to amaze me that Tesla fan boys constantly say Tesla is years ahead. Its odd that this didn't make it into any articles.

Last edited:

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Ummmm

uuuuuhmmmmmm.....the Red one then couldn't even finish the laps....LOL

Two things:
1). How did Tesla run the whole lap? On Touristenfahrten days and Track days, drivers are only allowed to drive 11.9 miles of the 12.94 mile track....unless somehow they got an acception?

2). On another run, the red Tesla could not even finish!!! I speculate probably overheated batteries! I speculated before that on this Tesla prototype, Tesla probably turned off the software that shuts down performance mode when the battery overheats......This red Tesla probably needs a new battery pack. I am no speculating that the Tesla in NOT ready for production of the Plaid Model S until it significantly catches up with Porsche on battery temperature management system. It never ceases to amaze me that Tesla fan boys constantly say Tesla is years ahead. Its odd that this didn't make it into any articles.
They say a picture paints a thousand words....so how about a video clip
https://jalopnik.com/one-of-teslas-...alopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook

See the video clip of the Taycan driving past the Model S broken down on the side of the race track on the Nordschleife....:CWL::CWL:

Hey, an electric scooter outperforms the Model S Plaid!! In all seriousness, Tesla's test was obviously premature. It also will utterly destroy the sales of the Model S with Ludicrous mode, as everyone will wait for the Plaid mode. Who thought of plaid? I think of a lumberjack, not exactly something of sophistication. Then again, Taycan is a pretty lousy name too.....:CWL:

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
The Tesla Model S being used in these tests also have stripped down interiors for weight savings :rolleyes:

Besides a safety cage, a driver's seat and a dashboard, the Tesla's interior is empty. There's no backseats nor passenger seats.
Yeah, I'm wondering what time the Taycan could do similarly stripped out

OHWHATDA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Country flag
Sounds like Dennis is the same Tesla fanboy spouting inaccuracies on Electrek and Teslarati, I’m guessing he actually quoted himself from those forums. The funniest one is that the Porsche ran a pre-production “prototype” when it was literally a car pulled off the line two weeks prior to official release with production tires, brakes, motors, chassis. While the Model S Plaid is literally a year away from production and cobbled together by a few engineers and literally had no interior except for a driver’s seat. You’ll never see Porsche quote lap times on prototypes, it’s always based on a car you can actually buy with minimal modifications (maybe a roll cage which actually adds weight). So it sounds like Plaid will be great and very fast, but wake me up when it’s actually available and has an interior. That’s the proper comparison end of story.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Sound like a marketing ploy to me. No question the prototype is fast but there is not really any comparison - neither test is official and only one is a production model. Additionally the red faster Tesla broke down so reliably is also in question. I am sorry but I can’t get too excited about any comparison until the test is official and both cars are actual production models. Until then it is only hype.:rolleyes:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
All in all, Tesla has no answer to the Taycan yet but probably will.
I mean, a car you can actually buy and that's what it is.
Sure you can wait, and after that an even faster car will come and so on.
For now, the Taycan is the fastest one you can buy and that just sounds so good. :rock:

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
All in all, Tesla has no answer to the Taycan yet but probably will.
I mean, a car you can actually buy and that's what it is.
Sure you can wait, and after that an even faster car will come and so on.
For now, the Taycan is the fastest one you can buy and that just sounds so good. :rock:
Word!

Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I've never owned a car that was the fastest saloon on the Ring.
So, fingers crossed it still is when I get it next year.
That would be awsome (as long as it lasts).
Lol. :D

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've never owned a car that was the fastest saloon on the Ring.
So, fingers crossed it still is when I get it next year.
That would be awsome (as long as it lasts).
Lol. :D
I hade some BMW M5’s
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee