felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Not sure the price will be higher. But you’re certainly right about the timing and if you’re outside the US you’ll wait for even longer. Therefore the Taycan is most probably a stop gap for me or I keep both.......
Time will tell. :)
Sponsored

tomjmoen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S
Country flag
“But what the new drive can do he has already shown on some very fast laps. Our observer reports a hand-stopped lap time of 7:23 minutes – as I said: hand-stopped with corresponding inaccuracies. But that would be about 20 seconds faster than that Porsche Taycan. The weather conditions on Monday (16.9.) were rather cool with 18 degrees and heavy cloud cover.”

https://electrek.co/2019/09/17/tesla-plaid-model-s-crushes-porsche-taycan-nurburgring-time/
First, that Tesla had an entirely new non-production chassis and plaid drive train. Second it featured new motors and battery technology they might deliver in another 3-4 years. Third, it was 110% stripped of all interior, seats, carpet, dash, all non-essential to tracking, gear. There was no A/C, no radio, no LCD, just the items it needed to get around the track. It also went home on a flatbed truck. Nobody is telling us how many laps it made. There was no official time. The simple fact is a Porsche is not a Tesla and a Tesla is not a Porsche. Of all the comparisons out there, I appreciate this one from Top Gear. "love and attention placed on all the weights and touchpoints" That sums up, why we love Porsche.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
the next gen roadster is going to be amazing. But it’s also not going to be available until 2021-2022 and it’s going to start at $250k+. Elon and Frank have been pretty open about it missing schedule, and given it’s state the price will be higher too.
Besides, focus is on Model Y and Pick-up truck.
I don't see the Roadster coming soon and what point is it to compare the Taycan with a car that doesn't even excist yet?
Keep waiting, there will always be a car that'll be faster, better, more exciting.
Point is, if you keep on waiting, you're not enjoying.
Maybe I'll buy a Roadster when it's there, for now the Taycan is the car I'm looking forward to!

TaycanNut

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari California
Country flag
the next gen roadster is going to be amazing. But it’s also not going to be available until 2021-2022 and it’s going to start at $250k+. Elon and Frank have been pretty open about it missing schedule, and given it’s state the price will be higher too.
The Founders Series is $250K. The non-Founders series is $200K. $200K will get you the base model, with all that mind-blowing performance. And it will not be a stripped down car. Options like autonomous, and SpaceX Air Thursters will push the price higher. Most people would opt not to take those options I suspect.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Founders Series is $250K. The non-Founders series is $200K. $200K will get you the base model, with all that mind-blowing performance. And it will not be a stripped down car. Options like autonomous, and SpaceX Air Thursters will push the price higher. Most people would opt not to take those options I suspect.
it will be more expensive. Elon has already stated the “base” model won’t break 2s as promised and they repriced the options out from underneath people on the 2008 roadster. Par for the course with Tesla.

so, sure, you can buy the lowest end config for $200k without options, but nobody is going to do that. I’ll be astounded if we’ll spec’d didn’t hit $300k for this much awesome. That assumes Tesla even ships the lowest end config. The $35k model 3 is a mirage.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be clear, the next roadster amazes me in so many ways. It’s shaping up to be an enormous achievement.

but like many good things in life, it’ll be later and more expensive than originally expected.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I agree with Dee ! There will always be another promise out there. Faster, more powerful, longer range etc. EV’s are a little bit like PC’s now. Once you have left the shop with your purchase there is a better one around the corner. So waiting for the “”best”” you will not enjoy things.

Il look forward to the Taycan with its driveability, build quality, reasonable 4 seats etc. In particular the build quality, fit and finish is what I wish for. If all the reviews are correct it should drive like a real Porsche. And that is a nice feeling. The proper feedback from the steering and not like a lot of cars that feel like a dentist anaesthetics. It’s doing all the right thing but very numb.

The other things like 0 to 60, quarter mile speeds, Nürburgring time, are more like bragging rights in the pub in my opinion.

Last edited:

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
All this will soon be irrelevant. The new Tesla Roadster will have 620 mile range, 1.9 s 0-60, 8.8s 1/4 mile and top speed over 250 mph and 4 seats (back ones are small). It will be available in 2020 just like the Taycan for $200K - not much more than a Taycan.

Elon Musk's claim - "it will be the ultimate gasoline powered car smackdown. It will be the fastest production car man has ever built."

Makes me think twice about my Taycan that is pushing $200K
So both are electric cars, but that is where the comparison should end.....one is a sports sedan and the other is a hyper sports car.

If you were talking of ICE cars, would you compare the Lexus GS F sports sedan to the Porsche 911 Turbo.....of course not, unless you just have not yet decided what kind of car you want

Most Taycan buyers are looking for a usable 4 to 5 passenger sedan. I would love to wait for the Roadster, but the wife wants a car she can go out with her friends, instead of always relying on friends vehicle, and we not not ready to buy two new cars totalling $400k

tomjmoen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S
Country flag
it will be more expensive. Elon has already stated the “base” model won’t break 2s as promised and they repriced the options out from underneath people on the 2008 roadster. Par for the course with Tesla.

so, sure, you can buy the lowest end config for $200k without options, but nobody is going to do that. I’ll be astounded if we’ll spec’d didn’t hit $300k for this much awesome. That assumes Tesla even ships the lowest end config. The $35k model 3 is a mirage.
The Standard Range Plus is $39k which is pretty close to $35k. After potential tax benefits its below $33k and I believe that is what Elon said at launch it would be below $35k after potential savings. I've ridden in several Model 3 and drove a number of them. Its a nice car with a lot of cool technology. It doesn't interest me. Getting the price below $35k is admirable.

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
While the $35K Model 3 cannot be ordered through the website, it is available to order by speaking to a Tesla representative at one of the showrooms. It is not a mirage.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
To be clear, the next roadster amazes me in so many ways. It’s shaping up to be an enormous achievement.

but like many good things in life, it’ll be later and more expensive than originally expected.
Really? I am totally done with Tesla. The quality is totally not acceptable for that price. The interior is way too sparse, no options to improve. The one big screen is way to cumbersome to use. The over the air crippled the Autopilot - useless now. Steering not precise, sliding off wet roads - scary. The only thing I like is the electric motor and the charging box at home. I know there a so many fanboys out there, and I also had fun the first few months, but after 3.5 years in my MS90D, I cannot wait to replace it...

As for the Taycan, I'm not even sure if the Turbo isn't an overkill in terms of acceleration. I value the feeling of luxury when I sit in my car. Luxury comes with quality material, quality built and the features which keeps me comfortable.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The one consistent knock on the performance of Tesla's is that they can't do repeated full power runs or multiple laps around the track. Porsche used this as a major differentiator for the Taycan vs. Tesla Model S with 3 tests (or ego stunts if you prefer): Repeated 0-100-0 runs, the 'Ring lap time and 0-90-0 on the deck of the aircraft carrier Hornet. Did you really expect Tesla to not respond to this?

The 3 motor powertrain is under development for Roadster 2. The obvious development mule for that is the Model S. So the prototype to counter Porsche's claims was already sitting around. It just needed a public unveiling, and Tesla chose to do it on two continents. As a Tesla shareholder I'm delighted that they responded to the challenge thrown down by Porsche. The stock is back up 20 points since the Taycan announcement.
You are comparing a car that is 8 years old. And because of that car we are driving today a Taycan.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
You are comparing a car that is 8 years old. And because of that car we are driving today a Taycan.
I do not see your logic there. Tesla has been a leader in EVs, was early in making nicer EVs, and has sold and gotten quite a few on the road. But they did not create the EV, not the technology. Nor have they really “revolutionized” anything.

Other car makers have had EV platforms longer, they just didn’t consider them ready for market (or market not ready for them). Now the tide has turned. But it has nothing to do with Tesla, much more with carbon emission and legistlation in Europe and other places in the world.

So this is a false statement made by Tesla fans.
Sponsored