Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
In my view, the updated S is more in response to the Lucid Air than the Taycan. Tesla is trying to regain bragging rights for the over 500 mile range. The 1.99 sec 0-60 time also seems aimed at the Lucid Air. But, in reality, these extremely rapid 0-60 times have started to lose meaning in the real world. I have a M3P and find myself reluctant to do a full launch since the front of the car seems to come up on launch and the steering feels a bit unstable. There are few places in the real world where these true full out launches can be utilized, they are more for bragging rights.

It will be interesting to see how the true real world range for the new S compares to the Lucid. Motor Trend did a ride along real word drive a couple of months ago and it was close to the claimed 500 miles for the Lucid Air. We have all seen numerous tests where the Model S Raven does not meet the 400 miles claimed at highway speeds, more like 300, while the Taycan exceeds the EPA estimates and achieves about 275 miles. So, not much real-world highway difference, where range matters the most, between the Raven and the Taycan.

The new S is following the Tesla design philosophy started in the M3, and appears to have eliminated many of the physical controls that were previously found in the S. That is one of my major complaints with my M3P, nearly everything is controlled via the center touch screen, and I find it challenging and unsafe to execute some actions, such as changing music source of scrolling through music options. While there are a lot of great things about the M3 and the Tesla ecosystem, there are also things that are not so great. But, it is great to have more and more EV choices. I just ordered a 4S; the M3P may be passed down to my son as he leaves for college. After a year in the M3P I think it will be a great car for him, and I think think the 4S will be a great car for me. Different needs and desires.
My 4S is quick enough for me. In fact I still haven’t bothered with launch control yet. Sport plus from rolling is enough to frighten passengers and hit legal Speed limits all to quick. . . .
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
https://flip.it/CMTlpV

Apparently, you cannot select a gear (forward or reverse) nor signal in the new Model S... it will "guess" what you want...
You can select gear (drive, reverse, park) on the center console but yes, the car will guess for you. Not sure that’s a good idea :)

Same with left/right turn signal, car guesses but you can overwrite with force touch buttons on the steering wheel. Could work but then again, Tesla will probably just put a Beta label on it and then it is at the drivers own risk :)

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
At what point are countries going to have to step in and put limits on the torque available in mass produced cars? These sub 2.5 second EVs are dangerous to everyone. Let's be real, 95% of buyers don't have a damn clue how to drive and you're giving them massive amounts of instant torque on open roads? It's just not safe.

As the price drops on achieving that kind of performance it's only going to become more accessible and more common.

This includes Porsche, Mercedes, etc.. At some point we need to stop this ridiculous 0-60 time crap and focus on other aspects of EVs.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
At what point are countries going to have to step in and put limits on the torque available in mass produced cars? These sub 2.5 second EVs are dangerous to everyone. Let's be real, 95% of buyers don't have a damn clue how to drive and you're giving them massive amounts of instant torque on open roads? It's just not safe.

As the price drops on achieving that kind of performance it's only going to become more accessible and more common.

This includes Porsche, Mercedes, etc.. At some point we need to stop this ridiculous 0-60 time crap and focus on other aspects of EVs.
I agree. Let's focus on quarter mile time instead.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Great points on this thread. One of my main reasons I never bought any performance Tesla is that full power meant the front of the car lifted way too much. I do not see this in my Jaguar nor in the Taycan (nor in any ICE performance car). To me that means the car manufacturer is SERIOUS about ”putting down the power under control.” Not just numbers for a piece of paper.

Also the point about “fast enough” is a great one. I have said before and will say again: the TTS is PAINFUL to most people. And it was noted above that most people have NO IDEA how to safely handle the power of a 4S, much less a TTS. So now we are going a little bit more aggressive in a car that I suspect will NOT have the control nor refinement of the TTS. This is not good.

And elimination of controls just goes back to a great observation made by someone else. Tesla seems to be a good car for people who don’t actually want to “drive” their car. This is not a judgement, more power to them. For me I want to drive the car myself, regardless of power, drivetrain or primary purpose.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
On the one hand there are electric cars and on the other hand Porsche with electric drive.
That's the difference!

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
No proper input here. Just love the diversity of thought and the intelligence this forum is showing right now. This is the best car forum I've been on... ever.

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Plaid+ has some crazy figures, let's hope it doesn't obliterate Taycan Turbo S on track lol

That being said, I didn't like the new interior of the Model S. Tesla's build quality is on par with shitty cars like Tata or Dacia, and I can't imagine living with a car like that. Not after paying $100k+.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This is all just marketing BS!

The steering wheel will be normal and the numbers are on paper only.

I just don't understand why people find it desirable to have no switches, buttons in the car to control it. Even in the Taycan I am annoyed that the easy to use button to open the trunk in the driver door is missing. How does this reduction in functionality make my life better in any way?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's unclear to me if the Plaid drive could complete a single lap @ laguna - we'll have to wait and see - the current Model S can barely do a single lap...

the Taycan can do about 6-7 laps before battery overheats
the Model 3 can do about 8 laps before modest throttling

I'm unconcerned about the Model S plaid doing better than Taycan on the Track, but none of these EV's are impressive beyond 1 or 2 laps. Stamina is _NOT_ their strong suit at the limits.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I just don't understand why people find it desirable to have no switches, buttons in the car to control it. Even in the Taycan I am annoyed that the easy to use button to open the trunk in the driver door is missing. How does this reduction in functionality make my life better in any way?
Maybe we all just give away our age and conservative views?? I know my Grandkids that all have been born with an iPad, just can not understand why I have to fiddle around with so many switches and buttons in my M5? Somethings are done via the BMW controller and others with buttons. They just laugh at this. They are all under 11 years!!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In my old opinion, there is a balance point between having a few hard switches / buttons for the most frequently used things (certain climate controls like temperature just aren't going away) and screens that allow for UI updates and a cleaner look. Tesla went too far in the no buttons direction, Porsche and Audi and BMW (and for that matter Acura and Honda) have had too many buttons. At least this is better than the first BMW system with the knob/wheel/thing (I can't remember what they called it but it was painful).

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Part of the need for fixed mechanical controls is that our brains tend to develop what’s called muscle memory. Certain functions we do not want to have to shift our attention and go through pages or screens to adjust. It actually may be dangerous.

so about of some heart controls with displays is probably the optimal combination. I don’t think it’s about being conservative or used to something. I am completely comfortable with virtual controls and displays with complex information. I still would prefer to be able to do certain things mechanically which takes minimal focus.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I prefer switches, and I think just about everyone would rather have a dial for volume than these ridiculous +/- touchpad controls. That is one of the things I really like about the Taycan is they do have dials on the steering wheel.

Some of the reasons to do away with switches are reliability and cost. Every switch has a unique mechanical mechanism and associated wiring that is subject to failure. Replacing a few dozen switches with an iPad decreases cost and increases reliability significantly.
Sponsored