Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I must admit, with the problem posts far outnumbering the positive posts on this forum, I was looking into the possibility of an S (long range). I went as far as going to a dealer where I was able to see the new models up close and personal. They were customer delivery cars that had just come in. Yoke wheel and all. Though the interior materials were not nearly as premium as Porsche, I did not find them offensively poor quality. I drove an 18 months back before deciding on the Taycan and it drove like a fast Lincoln Town Car (my mom had one LOL). I don't know if the handling in 21s has drastically improved but I was turned off, having driven a 4S.

Now, like mentioned above, they are selling these things like crazy and the wait time is now 8-9 months. The SA told me they are building 18,000 units per month. It seems as though, in another year, you will see a sh!t-ton of these on the road, making the car feel even less special.
Sponsored

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I must admit, with the problem posts far outnumbering the positive posts on this forum, I was looking into the possibility of an S (long range). I went as far as going to a dealer where I was able to see the new models up close and personal. They were customer delivery cars that had just come in. Yoke wheel and all. Though the interior materials were not nearly as premium as Porsche, I did not find them offensively poor quality. I drove an 18 months back before deciding on the Taycan and it drove like a fast Lincoln Town Car (my mom had one LOL). I don't know if the handling in 21s has drastically improved but I was turned off, having driven a 4S.

Now, like mentioned above, they are selling these things like crazy and the wait time is now 8-9 months. The SA told me they are building 18,000 units per month. It seems as though, in another year, you will see a sh!t-ton of these on the road, making the car feel even less special.

The wait time is 8-9 months due to supply and quality issues. They have already put several holds on new deliveries. If you go to the Tesla forum there are people who made reservations when the refreshed Model S was announced, and they are looking at deliveries late this year. It hasn't been a smooth role out. Not to mention they were originally supposed to start shipping back in January/February. It also appears the software is still at a "BETA" level and has lots of bugs and issues.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Especially since, as far as I know, they haven’t made any this year. I ordered one. Then canceled after 4 months after the order they said no clue about delivery
they have started delivery....see the post video in the other thread about ".....are you tempted to buy a Model S Plaid"

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not to rain on the parade...
But historically, Tesla has raised prices mostly when the market supported it. Similarly the configurator dates were proactively pushed out only when it was due to order backlog. Delays due to inability to manufacture/deliver are historically always slow to reflect on the configurator.
Personally I think both indicate plenty of demand for the Model S.

(I'm personally picking up a Taycan, not trying to sell anybody on the Model S - but I think it's selling well. )

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
I'm sure it is selling well. There is lots to applaud.

The speed accomplishment is significant. Especially at the higher end (60-130mph), and finally getting repeatability right, even at low battery charge.

The build quality has been significantly improved, so that panel gaps and creaks are supposedly less of an issue.

Most importantly, the car finally handles with a semblance of respectability, as opposed to the previous Model S....which was absolute garbage in that department.

And of course, the giant iPad and Joystick Wheel add an element of whimsy that certain people will find cool.

All that being said, the speed, while impressive, is a show-trick. Once this thing can illustrate that it can drive well, more so than drive fast in a straight line, I will be much more impressed. The video's which show this thing start to shake at launch, compared to the eerie way the Taycan stays 'planted' around corners, are miles apart.

The build-quality has reached a bare minimum for a serious car company, let alone one charging circa $150k for a car. In terms of luxury this thing is miles away from being adequate. Forget the lack of options (OLEA Leather, HUD or Night Vision, etc), this thing can't even be configured for CarPlay or Leather seats. Again, excusable on a normal car, but one charging so much...

And finally the most inexcusable part, is that as a daily driver this thing suffers horrendously from Elon's ultimate ego trip of making nerd fan-boy design choices that entertain himself, and endanger the driver.

Having no gear shift is awesome, as the car is mean to intuitively know whether you want to be in reverse or drive......except that it can only do this at Park. So if you want to maneuver, say into a bay, or do a 3-point turn, you have to change between drive and reverse on that iPad. (there is a backup touch button arrangement under the wireless charging mats, but it is neither convenient nor something you can do "blind"). Having to take your eyes of the road to switch is a theme more than an oversight, as to indicate, you again have to negotiate with haptic buttons on the steering wheel. In isolation, the isn't so bad.....you don't have to take your hand off the wheel, after all. But once you tun the wheel, those buttons also turn with it. So now, during a manouver, there is no way to tell if you spun the wheels an odd or even amount of times, and whether or not you are about to indicate left or press the car horn, without looking at the wheel. And as for the wheel, you obviously can not do to the push-pull method of turning it. Which is fine, because who does?! But you also can't turn it without either crossing your hands, or letting go of the wheel and grasping at it again (which most of us do).....except that there is literally a giant section missing from where you are grasping onto. I mean, forget resting your hand as you drive, because without the top of the wheel to do that on, "resting" your arm will now mean, pulling in one direction. It is moronic and over-engineered for the sake of scoring internet mentions and "futuristic" high fives. But whereas "fart mode" and "Log Fire" mode could be excuses as harmless fun.....this will cost lives.

So, I applaud the good....and can understand why it would appeal to some people....even if the lengthy order times do indeed seem to have more to do with production problems than being inundated with demand. But it's not a car that can be compared to the Taycan seriously. Not yet. And where I hope that Porsche respond back and take the speed crown from Tesla.....the truth is that it doesn't matter much. I would rather show up the next day in a Taycan, than 1 second faster on a straight line quarter mile in the ludicrously plain looking Model S.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Fair points, but I nevertheless welcome economy options for people who want an EV.
there are many lower cost options with many more coming, the e-mini, the VW, the ionic are just a few that are currently available in the US, the EU has many more options, the Leaf has dropped out of the top 10 in sales over there.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
It has very impressive acceleration. Which is “cool”. However, once you get beyond that….
And yeah, Premium is not a word that can be used in the same sentence as Tesla.
Still not sure how they were even legally allowed to get away with that wheel, buttons and “gear shift” combination. Dangerous and stupid.
I’m not sure, the refreshed model S interior is getting good reviews about quality. My Taycan has the base interior and is not a high quality of course the upgrade of 7K looks premium but is an upgrade.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I'm sure it is selling well. There is lots to applaud.

The speed accomplishment is significant. Especially at the higher end (60-130mph), and finally getting repeatability right, even at low battery charge.

The build quality has been significantly improved, so that panel gaps and creaks are supposedly less of an issue.

Most importantly, the car finally handles with a semblance of respectability, as opposed to the previous Model S....which was absolute garbage in that department.

And of course, the giant iPad and Joystick Wheel add an element of whimsy that certain people will find cool.

All that being said, the speed, while impressive, is a show-trick. Once this thing can illustrate that it can drive well, more so than drive fast in a straight line, I will be much more impressed. The video's which show this thing start to shake at launch, compared to the eerie way the Taycan stays 'planted' around corners, are miles apart.

The build-quality has reached a bare minimum for a serious car company, let alone one charging circa $150k for a car. In terms of luxury this thing is miles away from being adequate. Forget the lack of options (OLEA Leather, HUD or Night Vision, etc), this thing can't even be configured for CarPlay or Leather seats. Again, excusable on a normal car, but one charging so much...

And finally the most inexcusable part, is that as a daily driver this thing suffers horrendously from Elon's ultimate ego trip of making nerd fan-boy design choices that entertain himself, and endanger the driver.

Having no gear shift is awesome, as the car is mean to intuitively know whether you want to be in reverse or drive......except that it can only do this at Park. So if you want to maneuver, say into a bay, or do a 3-point turn, you have to change between drive and reverse on that iPad. (there is a backup touch button arrangement under the wireless charging mats, but it is neither convenient nor something you can do "blind"). Having to take your eyes of the road to switch is a theme more than an oversight, as to indicate, you again have to negotiate with haptic buttons on the steering wheel. In isolation, the isn't so bad.....you don't have to take your hand off the wheel, after all. But once you tun the wheel, those buttons also turn with it. So now, during a manouver, there is no way to tell if you spun the wheels an odd or even amount of times, and whether or not you are about to indicate left or press the car horn, without looking at the wheel. And as for the wheel, you obviously can not do to the push-pull method of turning it. Which is fine, because who does?! But you also can't turn it without either crossing your hands, or letting go of the wheel and grasping at it again (which most of us do).....except that there is literally a giant section missing from where you are grasping onto. I mean, forget resting your hand as you drive, because without the top of the wheel to do that on, "resting" your arm will now mean, pulling in one direction. It is moronic and over-engineered for the sake of scoring internet mentions and "futuristic" high fives. But whereas "fart mode" and "Log Fire" mode could be excuses as harmless fun.....this will cost lives.

So, I applaud the good....and can understand why it would appeal to some people....even if the lengthy order times do indeed seem to have more to do with production problems than being inundated with demand. But it's not a car that can be compared to the Taycan seriously. Not yet. And where I hope that Porsche respond back and take the speed crown from Tesla.....the truth is that it doesn't matter much. I would rather show up the next day in a Taycan, than 1 second faster on a straight line quarter mile in the ludicrously plain looking Model S.
Do you plan using Tesla supercharger once it’s open to all EV’s??

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is the sound of Tesla imploding. It's unconscionable to raise the cost $20K in one month. Lucid is going to kick Tesla’s ass when they release their car in a few months, which is how long it takes to take delivery of a new Model S.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Agreed. No gear shift lever/actuator/stalk is straight up DUMB. Screen goes out: no drive.

I didn't want to use the word luxury - so settled on premium. (vs. Kia, GM, etc...)
To be correct it has PRND buttons below the phone holder.

Last edited:

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you plan using Tesla supercharger once it’s open to all EV’s??
I don’t see why not. I don’t have any vendetta against Tesla. If the chargers are more conveniently located on my route, or offer a faster charging option than others, sure.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be correct it has PRND buttons below the phone holder.
It does, but they are haptic. So again, if I asked you to turn the air con temp up and down on a taycan, you probably wouldn’t be able to do it blind.
To relegate something so basic, frequent and important such as switching between drive and reverse, to something you can’t do instinctively or without drawing your attention away from the road is downright moronic.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Yeah at 90k (with no tax credit), it's roughly 10k cheaper than my CT4 spec (110k list - 7.5k tax credit - small dealer discount). (I think the CT4 is the lowest priced Taycan that is closet to a Model S since it's got a hatch and is AWD). That is definitely not enough to sway me.
Advantages of the Model S:
-Faster acceleration
-More cargo room
-better infotainment (i'm guessing).
-Better range (probablhy not as good as advertised but likely still better than Taycan)
Advantages of the Taycan:
-Better build quality
-Better looking
-Better customer service (on average- I know some porsche dealers can be pretty bad too)
-Has features not available on Tesla (leather massaging seats, HUD, surround camera, etc)
-better handling
-Nicer interior

To me the advantages of the Tesla fall into the category of "I don't really care". If the Model S had all the Taycan's strenghts plus did those things better as well, that'd be great. But that's not the case. The biggest advantage that everyone seems to tout is the fast acceleration. I really have trouble getting that excited over headline 0-60 numbers; it's just largely irrelevant and doesn't add much to driving enjoyment beyond a certain point. The range advantage is also something that wouldn't make or break my decision. It is so rare that I travel over 200 miles in a single day that any modern long range EV is essentially equivalent to me on that metric.

If the Model S were the same price as a Model 3 that might be enough to tempt me, but then I'd probablhy still kick myself for being cheap and not getting the car I really wanted.

But for people who dont really care about cars, I get why they might buy a Tesla (it's cool, it's got "fun" infotainment features, it has "better" numbers on paper, everyone is buying them so they must be great, etc)

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
But for people who dont really care about cars, I get why they might buy a Tesla (it's cool, it's got "fun" infotainment features, it has "better" numbers on paper, everyone is buying them so they must be great, etc)
but the taycan lacks a fart sound maker

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag