Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
It’s good to know the mileage on a full charge. But I’m just wondering if 95% of the time we are going to be charging between 20%-85%, when will we ever need the full 100% except for that once in a blue moon road trip. And even then, it’s not like we will be driving at exactly 120kmh, with best driving conditions like min ac, no luggage or passengers, and 25 degrees.

Am I missing something? I always see these videos or reviews on the Taycan or Tesla mileage..
Sponsored

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It’s good to know the mileage on a full charge. But I’m just wondering if 95% of the time we are going to be charging between 20%-85%, when will we ever need the full 100% except for that once in a blue moon road trip. And even then, it’s not like we will be driving at exactly 120kmh, with best driving conditions like min ac, no luggage or passengers, and 25 degrees.

Am I missing something? I always see these videos or reviews on the Taycan or Tesla mileage..
True that you don't often do 120kmh or travel on perfect days, but I still find it useful to estimate charge needed to go say 200 miles on a day with a little headwind and cooler temperatures.

Also helps me plan charging stops a bit better. Though of course I'll use my own data once I get some more of it.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Am I missing something?
The only thing you are missing is "marketing".

Good enough is good enough. I don't remember the 0-60 times of any of the cars I owned, I just knew they were good enough for me. Now it is about range. Pre-covid, I would do maybe 2-3 long trips a year, so whether the car does 220 or 270, really wouldn't matter since I would still charge a similar number of times - otherwise, just charge to 85% at home.

YMMV (or range, in this case)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No it’s definitely 80% for daily use. You’re confusing with the max limit when the battery is hot.
1605896943269.jpeg
Well, that is confusing and inconsistent with what they say elsewhere.

From the manual, page 79.

Use the Timer or Profile function to program a maximum high-voltage battery charge of 85% for daily use of the vehicle without any long-distance driving.
(That is for temps between -20C to 30C)

The 85% listed in your post is how much you should max charge if the ambient temp is over 30C.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No it’s definitely 80% for daily use. You’re confusing with the max limit when the battery is hot.
1605896943269.jpeg
That is interesting! Where did you find that info.??

Here is a screenshot of the Good to Know app that I have!
Porsche Taycan Tesla Model Y vs. Porsche Taycan: Real-World Range Test - Edmunds 47EED56B-D85A-4899-947D-DDA6B084E2F0

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Here is a screenshot of the Good to Know app that I have!
47EED56B-D85A-4899-947D-DDA6B084E2F0.jpeg
It is super confusing. The good-to-know app and the manual definitely say 85% for daily use, but my purchase contract for the car before delivery stated 80%, and my dealer said definitely charge to 100%. I sometimes get the feeling Porsche are making things up as they go along...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I sometimes get the feeling Porsche are making things up as they go along...
now you understand - dealers don't know squat - and Porsche engineering is doing SWAGs (
Scientific Wild Ass Guesses)

unless you really need the extra 12 kWh/40 miles of range on a daily basis it does no harm to only charge to 85% - and based on EV best practices charging LiON batteries to full all the time is a known method for reducing the longevity of the battery...

85% for daily usage, 100%. is no problem when you're road tripping.

Last edited:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Fine print from the Taycan brochure. Someone else mentioned it was on their purchase contract. I would trust the legalese over the manual. Given charging rates drop off after 80%, that also makes me believe that’s the magic number.

That being said, I would also bet that the difference between 80 and 85 is not that large and that Porsche doesn’t expect you to trigger the battery warranty (70% battery life) by consistently charging to 85. I don’t need the extra 5% though so I’m going to preserve as much of the battery as I can.

Last edited:

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Let's hope that with Trump gone (almost) the EPA might return to a consistent approach to testing instead of favouring any car made in the US over those made in Germany.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From my experience, it would take a LOT of effort to get only 49 kWh/100 miles. Nothing close to "normal" driving under average conditions. I get between 30 and 33 depending on driving style.
I have been in the 42-44 range, driving easy. My range has sucked as of late- 194 estimates, real world 178-185

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't get over 240 per 100% "tank"...but I don't drive at 50-70...I assume if you set the cruise control at 55 in normal mode over flat terrain you'll see these numbers...if you "drive" at all, you'll get 220-240 from a 100% start and then make sure there's a 150kWh charger at the other end!
That makes sense . I get 195 range at 85%.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Are Teslas set up to get the best results from the EPA ratings?
Is this Tesla's version of VW's Dieselgate?:eek:

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I'm so tired of arguing (on different forums) with Tesla fanboys about the EPA ratings and how they don't represent real world experiences and data (especially for the Taycan), that I decided to put together a couple of charts using the data the YouTuber Bjorn has been gathering. I thought you guys might like to see them as they are relevant to the discussion above.

If someone where cross shopping a Tesla Model S LR (402 mile EPA rating) versus a Porsche Taycan 4S (203 mile EPA rating) it might come as a surprise that the Model S won't go 199 miles further than a Taycan at 75mph but only 9 miles.

Porsche Taycan Tesla Model Y vs. Porsche Taycan: Real-World Range Test - Edmunds Image 11-23-20 at 3.26 PM

Porsche Taycan Tesla Model Y vs. Porsche Taycan: Real-World Range Test - Edmunds Image 11-23-20 at 3.27 PM