Tesla now sells $415 home charger with native J1772

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Tesla recently started selling home chargers to charge non-Tesla vehicles. The charger is not bad price, $415 USD, and it's apparently based on the Gen2 HPWC. It can load-share up to four of these devices. Note that this is advertised as a 50A circuit/ 40A charging device, not 80A capable like the older Gen2's were (I personally have 2 of those and plan to convert one of them to J1772 ), so this is probably a cost reduced version.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-gen-2-wall-connector

Just mentioning it here as a new option available for anyone looking for an affordable option with available load sharing.

EDIT: In case you are thinking since this is a Gen2 HPWC it could loadshare with older (80A capable) Gen2's, folks on forums are reporting this does not work, these can only load share with like chargers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Tesla recently started selling home chargers to charge non-Tesla vehicles. The charger is not bad price, $415 USD, and it's apparently based on the Gen2 HPWC. It can load-share up to four of these devices. Note that this is advertised as a 50A circuit/ 40A charging device, not 80A capable like the older Gen2's were (I personally have 2 of those and plan to convert one of them to J1772 ), so this is probably a cost reduced version.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-gen-2-wall-connector

Just mentioning it here as a new option available for anyone looking for an affordable option with available load sharing.

EDIT: In case you are thinking since this is a Gen2 HPWC it could loadshare with older (80A capable) Gen2's, folks on forums are reporting this does not work, these can only load share with like chargers.
AM I guessing correctly that unlike some other 40A options this has to be hard wired?

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
AM I guessing correctly that unlike some other 40A options this has to be hard wired?
It's sold as hard-wired, however you can just add a NEMA14-50 cable (like this) to it if you prefer it to be a plug-in version - easier install on the wall near a receptacle. You could conceivably even lug it around as a travel charger since it's fully enclosed (at least the old Gen2's were), but personally for travel charger I'd go for something smaller in size.

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
it's apparently based on the Gen2 HPWC.
My utility gives a $.05 per kwh discount (approximately 25%) for charging from 11pm to 6am. The utility reads the power usage from the EVSE and currently they only support Chargepoint ($727.- retail) and Juicebox ($677.- retail).

So, while this Tesla EVSE is well priced, it would not allow me to get the utility discount.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My utility gives a $.05 per kwh discount (approximately 25%) for charging from 11pm to 6am. The utility reads the power usage from the EVSE and currently they only support Chargepoint ($727.- retail) and Juicebox ($677.- retail).

So, while this Tesla EVSE is well priced, it would not allow me to get the utility discount.
Absolutely, different products are best suited for different applications. This particular charger is a very basic, no frills design charger, but with available load balancing (which is also a simple but reliable no-frills design). The benefit of such basic system is there isn't much to go wrong, but as you pointed out, doesn't offer the metering for your utility discount.

PS> Your break-even on the ChargePoint vs. this Tesla charger is about 6,240KWh, or 650 hours, or approx 18K miles range of charging between 11pm and 6am. Taxes and your driving style might change the math slightly. You start making $0.05 per KWh for any charging between 11pm and 6am after that.

Do report back once you have it going. I'm curious how smooth the experience is in terms of utility company retrieving the right data from the charger, does it work 100% of the time, is it accurate, etc.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
@whitex , how hard is it to convert a Tesla charger to J1772? I really think a Tesla mobile charger with its 120/240V option and available mains plugs makes it the ideal travel charger.

Is it just a matter of cracking the case & undoing some lugs to get the Tesla cable off & a J1772 cable on?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PS> Your break-even on the ChargePoint vs. this Tesla charger is about 6,240KWh, or 650 hours, or approx 18K miles range of charging between 11pm and 6am. Taxes and your driving style might change the math slightly. You start making $0.05 per KWh for any charging between 11pm and 6am after that.
Understood. But the utility is subsidizing (as they should to encourage EV adoption) the EVSE. This discount is good to the end of 2021. That said, I already have a Juicebox 40 from my previous EV so I don't need a new EVSE unless it has some great new features. The automatic load share might be the key feature for an upgrade.

Porsche Taycan Tesla now sells $415 home charger with native J1772 ev_charger

Last edited:

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
My Chargepoint Homeflex was a little more money and it plugs into my 14-50 plug.

If you have a Level 2 Tesla charger, you can but a Tesla tap and charge your Taycan from the Tesla Level 2 charger.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@whitex , how hard is it to convert a Tesla charger to J1772? I really think a Tesla mobile charger with its 120/240V option and available mains plugs makes it the ideal travel charger.

Is it just a matter of cracking the case & undoing some lugs to get the Tesla cable off & a J1772 cable on?
Close to it, at least on the wall connector. See this video:
Tesla Wall Connector j1772 conversion
Oh, you can even buy ready made bypass diode cct to get rid of the charging delay like here if you don't want to make your own.

I've never converted the mobile charger, but AFAIK that is a little more tricky as there is no way to take the actual charger apart without destroying it, meaning that you'll need to swap out the plug instead. While completely doable, it usually requires a hydraulic or pneumatic crimper (you can get one for ~$150, but just for one plug it will increase your cost). Also, AFAIK the mobile charger does not require the bypass circuit though - it doesn't have any Tesla communications protocols built-in.

Btw, while I will convert one of my Gen2 HPWC's at home once I trade my Model S for Taycan, I probably won't bother for the Tesla Mobile Connector, just carry it in the Taycan together with the TeslaTap Mini adapter which I plan to keep in the car anyways in case I want to use any Tesla destination chargers.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Understood. But the utility is subsidizing (as they should to encourage EV adoption) the EVSE. This discount is good to the end of 2021. That said, I already have a Juicebox 40 from my previous EV so I don't need a new EV unless it has some great new features. The automatic load share might be the key feature for an upgrade.

ev_charger.png
Out of curiosity, does your utility contract say anything about them throttling your charge rate if they need to during peak times? Or is it just reporting when you charge and how fast?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

just buy a TeslaTap - you should have one anyways for road warrior duty.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
just buy a TeslaTap - you should have one anyways for road warrior duty.
Two reasons for me to convert rather than use TeslaTap at home.
  1. The extra step of taking off the adapter each time to put the TeslaTap back in the car is annoying. I could get 2 TeslaTaps, one for the car, one for the garage, but that is more expensive, plus #2 below
  2. It extends the plug out by few inches. We park our cars with driver doors facing each other because of garage space limitations. Every inch of space counts, and the plugs make the path between the cars narrower (especially if sharing between a Tesla and a Taycan, so that both car plugs are near each other).

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

There is a 30% tax back credit on the Homeflex up to Dec 2021 and includes 30% off any line/socket install if needed which is pretty decent and def brigs the ChargePoint (with many more features) back close to the price point of this basic Tesla unit - now maybe there is an equal tax credit on the Tesla? - have not checked.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Out of curiosity, does your utility contract say anything about them throttling your charge rate if they need to during peak times? Or is it just reporting when you charge and how fast?
I don’t think they are using smart meters yet, so they can’t throttle.
They require WiFi connected EVSEs so they can get charging data once a month.
It sounds like the utility is trying to push EV charging to off peak hours, which makes sense since most utilities have spare capacity in the middle of the night.
Sponsored