Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/521623/tesla-superchargers-open-other-2021/

Official: Tesla Superchargers Will Be Open To Other EVs This Year

By: Mark Kane

Does this mean that the company will switch to CCS Combo 1 plugs at Superchargers?
Later this year, Tesla will open its proprietary fast-charging network - the Supercharging network - to other electric vehicles.
The intention was officially announced by the company's CEO Elon Musk in one of the latest tweets: "we’re making our Supercharger network open to other EVs later this year."
Elon Musk explained also that the proprietary charging connector [in North America] was introduced because there was no other solution for fast charging. Actually, there was the CHAdeMO connector, but it was bulky and its first version supported only 62.5 kW (later 100 kW or so), while Tesla quite quickly moved to 120 kW. It was a great move at the time.
"We created our own connector, as there was no standard back then & Tesla was only maker of long range electric cars.
It’s one fairly slim connector for both low & high power charging."
We guess that Tesla will now switch to a new connector that will be compatible with the CCS Combo 1 (SAE J1772 Combo) because otherwise, other EVs (with CCS1 inlets) would not be able to use Tesla chargers. Superchargers in Europe were already retrofitted with CCS Combo 2-compatible plugs.
The opposite way - to open the network and continue to use a proprietary connector - would require other EV manufacturers to leave the CCS standard, and they are not willing to do it.

Our dream ultimate solution would be to switch everything to the CCS Combo 2 globally (Tesla could theoretically consider it), but unfortunately the general industry failed to find a common solution in the early days.

According to Elon Musk, the opening of the network will be gradual - starting with some undisclosed initial markets and then expand globally.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
"and you'll be able to use summons to drive the car to your location".
Elon's proclamations have very little credibility. when it actually happens is when I'll believe anything that he promises.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
"and you'll be able to use summons to drive the car to your location".
Elon's proclamations have very little credibility. when it actually happens is when I'll believe anything that he promises.
You may have a point there.

• Haha
Reactions: cfp

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Could be a good source of revenue.. Open the chargers, charge more for non Tesla EVs, sell stuff like adapters

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tesla also plans to open restaurants at Supercharger locations, so opening up the chargers to other EV brands will bring in more restaurant customers.
Source:

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
If this actually happens it will be nice to have another option on a road trip in case of an EA charger fail. This could change the equation of the 400V 150kW charging option for some folks.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
are the Tesla supercharger cables long enough to reach the side charging port of the Taycan (and other EVs) or is it just long enough to stick it to the taillight? If it is not long enough then the adapter should be long to act as an extension and they will be big and bulky.
Also these cables are usually liquid cooled and I doubt the adapter/extension will be cooled so it would probably be limited to 50kw or something like that.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If this actually happens it will be nice to have another option on a road trip in case of an EA charger fail. This could change the equation of the 400V 150kW charging option for some folks.
having access to tesla's network would be a big plus if it comes to be but I'm not holding my breath awaiting implementation

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
are the Tesla supercharger cables long enough to reach the side charging port of the Taycan (and other EVs) or is it just long enough to stick it to the taillight? If it is not long enough then the adapter should be long to act as an extension and they will be big and ugly.
Also these cables are usually liquid cooled so I doubt the adapter/extension will be cooled so it would probably be limited to 50kw or something like that.
good point. the cables on many of the tesla chargers with pull in stalls are too short for our cars

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
are the Tesla supercharger cables long enough to reach the side charging port of the Taycan (and other EVs) or is it just long enough to stick it to the taillight? If it is not long enough then the adapter should be long to act as an extension and they will be big and bulky.
Also these cables are usually liquid cooled and I doubt the adapter/extension will be cooled so it would probably be limited to 50kw or something like that.
The adapter would have to be made longer as most other EV ports wont reach. I tried out of curiosity on my Taycan at one of the super charger stations and it did not reach. I would have had to park sideways and take up 3 or 4 spaces.

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
I didn't spec the 400v 150kw charger on mine, this is making me kind of regret it... Theoretically, how fast would it charge without that charger?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I didn't spec the 400v 150kw charger on mine, this is making me kind of regret it... Theoretically, how fast would it charge without that charger?
50kw without the option but I doubt you will see Tesla supercharging in the US any time soon and I doubt even more if it will offer more than 50kw anyway (see my previous message, for cable length, adapter cooling).

I still regret paying for the 400v option :).
Sponsored