First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Answer: Trivial!
Yes I do not think that would have been any problems at all. Great yo have the opportunity to use Tesla SuC and at no extra fost unless you will use it regularly and then the monthly plan makes sense.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
_ALL_ Tesla Superchargers are 400V FastDC chargers.
They are at the moment yes, but some V3 chargers here in Europe have a rating of 1000 volt. Perhaps in preparation for the possible future models like Cybertruck and roadster?? If they materialise?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
That is the price through the Porsche Charging Service. If you download each operator it is usually at least half the price, at least in Spain with Endesa. However with Iberdrola, it is the same price as Ionity (0,33€) with the Porsche Charging Service and more expensive with their own app. In France, Fastned is cheaper with their own app, for instance. So I suggest to please compare, normally the app for the operator is cheaper, as it does not have to share the charge with any middlemen.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is the price through the Porsche Charging Service. If you download each operator it is usually at least half the price, at least in Spain with Endesa. However with Iberdrola, it is the same price as Ionity (0,33€) with the Porsche Charging Service and more expensive with their own app. In France, Fastned is cheaper with their own app, for instance. So I suggest to please compare, normally the app for the operator is cheaper, as it does not have to share the charge with any middlemen.
Interesting about the rates in Spain.

I could not find any better charges for Fastned in France though, without a monthly subscription. The price for me has been 0.59 cents per kWh. So nearly the same as other providers except Ionity. The good thing with Fastned was kWh pricing without minute charge though. This was what I saw for France
Porsche Taycan Tesla Superchargers opened in Sweden 21C2BBF2-417A-4B6E-A4A2-1EBF880C4986

And this was what I was charged in Netherlands at Fastned. I do not have any subscription though.

Porsche Taycan Tesla Superchargers opened in Sweden 52F8BD5E-42A4-4E61-AE9F-6C6E921D8DDF

That was 0.69 Euro per kWh with the Fastned app.

So yes it needs to be checked and double checked.

I have also heard that some stations now are advertising their rates just like the petrol and diesel prices. So competition will become evident soon.

herminal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Country flag
_ALL_ Tesla Superchargers are 400V FastDC chargers.
the 150kw/400V option.. hasn't that become standard equipment in the MY21 or 22 ?

but this means you can't make use of the V3 (250kw) SuC because it doesn't deliver enough amps

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the Tesla 250 kW V3 superchargers are 480V (400 volt) systems AFAIK…

therefore with a Taycan - you would be limited to either 50 kW _OR_ 150 kW depending on how you option your Taycan

to go above 150 kW charge rate with a Taycan the external FastDC charger must be an 800V charger…AFAIK Tesla Superchargers will not "push" more than 480V - maybe we'll be surprised…

in practice I've done the math the difference between 250kW vs. 150 kW charging is about a 5-7 minute "hit" - turns out 150 kW is really pretty fast…for filling less than 70 kWH (since you're probably not pulling in wiht less than 5% battery…

so let's assume a mythical 70 kWh charging "need"

ideal numbers come out as follows

70 kWh @ 150 kW = 28 minutes
70 kWh @ 250 kW = 17 minutes - BUT your Taycan can't maintain 250 kW above 50% SOC - so you're only going to get 250 kW for like 30 kWh of that charging session so…
30 kwh [part 1] @ 250 kW = 7.2 minutes
40 kWh [part 2] @ 150 kW = 16 minutes

50 kW however is really slow for the cannonical 70 kWh charge - the best you'll do is

70 kWh @ 50 kW = 84 minutes - or 1 hour 24 min…

let's add some overhead 8 minutes for part 1- and 16 min for part 2 = 24 minutes

so we're talking 24 minutes for 70 kWh of power @ 250 kW w/Taper…

or…

28 minutes at a flat 150 kW which your Taycan can do until about 75% SOC - which is a way way way better taper curve than the TEsla's you'll be sitting next to - it's a fantastic thing.

honestly 150 kW is actually reallly really fast…

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
in North America there are 3 types of Superchargers (I'm unclear on the ROW -but I don't think it's really that different)

Urban which are 72 kW 480V superchargers
V2 which are 120-150 kW 480V supercharges
V3 which are 250 kW 480V superchargers

the V2's "share" a power source (150 kW) - and the load is split between adjacent stalls - which is why you see Tesla's parked in every other stall - by doing that you get the "full" power with out sharing the power distribution with the stall directly next to you…1st car to plug in gets the majority kW share - the other car gets remainders until the 1st car starts to taper…but the two cars together will never get more than 150 kW…but one car might be getting 130 kW while the other car gets 20 kW - again until tapering starts to occur…

in practice this is not as bad as it sounds, because as one Tesla ramps "down" it's charging rate due to tapering the other stall, if occupied, will "pickup" the additional power and get a higher charging rate until it too also starts to taper…

Tesla's battery charging curve only allows Tesla's to charge at "full" power until about 40% SOC (or less) - after that the taper is relatively aggressive and drops way below the theoretical maximum - it was not uncommon for my 2017 Model X P100D to toddle along at 80 kW or less after 50% SOC

the Taycan and Audi eTron SUV (and the GT which is a Taycan) on the other hand both maintain charging rates well above 100 kW until deep into the 70% SOC range … this quite frankly is EXCELLENT and makes them the fastest charging EV's in practice on the market right now.

if you can stay above 100kW until about 70% SOC - the math says you're filling up to 80 or 90% SOC in 35 min or less…and given the aggressive taper down from the Taycan's 270 kW limit - in practice the difference between 270 kW charging and 150 kW is less than 6 min total time spent…

give me a solid 120-150 kW actual real world charge rate until 70% SOC or more and I'm not spending more than 30 min at _ANY_ charger - the battery simply isn't big enough to spend anymore time…truth, math, science, fact.

this is why the bump from 50 kW to 150 kW is really really a big deal and a cheap price/option - it saves soooooooo much time.

it's really really difficult and painful slow to spend much more than than 35 min at a true 150 kW charging station with the Taycan - cause 30 min puts you deep into the 8x% SOC range - and then charging starts to get slow - now you can spend more than 30 min if you try and charge to 93% or more - but honestly pull in, plug in, and charge at 150 kW until 8x% and it's really really hard to spend more than 30 minutes if you're willing to walk away from that last 15% or more (which is super slow to capture).

Last edited:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am almost sure you won't get more than 135kw from any 400V charger at the battery, because you have a transformer at work. The losses in my experience are close to 9-10% whenever the voltage involved is not 800V. So unless there are no 800V in the vicinity, between the lower speed and higher price, I will avoid them. Hopefully I won't need one on my loooooong trip ...
If I do, I am ready with the downloaded app and registration done.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am almost sure you won't get more than 135kw from any 400V charger at the battery, because you have a transformer at work. The losses in my experience are close to 9-10% whenever the voltage involved is not 800V. So unless there are no 800V in the vicinity, between the lower speed and higher price, I will avoid them. Hopefully I won't need one on my loooooong trip ...
If I do, I am ready with the downloaded app and registration done.
this has not been my experience at 400V chargers I've encounted in North America - voltage step "up" isn't as much loss as AC/DC conversion (or so I'm told by my EE friends, I'm a CS not an EE) and the Tesla Superchargers are direct DC current like the 800V fast chargers.]

in any case 135 kW is way faster than 50 kW - and I'll look forward to people's actual reports from V2 or V3 superchargers as to their charging speeds…I'll be unsurprised to hear about 147 kW charge rate at a V2/V3 supercharger with a Taycan.

* - actually I'll be unsurprised to hear about charging rates in excess of 150 kW - I'm pretty sure the 400V/150 kW can do slightly better clocking in at 160 kW or slightly less - I look forward to actual data.

Last edited:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Let's hear it from first hand experience. Anyways, unless Porsche includes these Tesla chargers in their charging planner, we are going to have a hard time arriving with the a preheated battery.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I am going to give it a try this weekend on a 250kw charger. Just have to pick one a bit further away to get my SoC down.

I tried in PCM navigation yesterday but it couldn’t find the Tesla Charger I wanted to use. I can enter the address but I won’t be able to pre heat the battery.

And for now ABPR doesn’t use the Tesla chargers in Belgium but it has been updated for NL and F so probably this will come.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Let's hear it from first hand experience. Anyways, unless Porsche includes these Tesla chargers in their charging planner, we are going to have a hard time arriving with the a preheated battery.
On s long drive the battery will heat up anyhow to about 30 degrees C! But you are right it will not heat up to any chargers that are not part of thePorsche Charging service! That includes Fastned for one example! No difference there. Put the car in Dport plus modE and drive it! Heats up the battery in my experience!
Quite easy to do!