Tesla to bring Model S to Nürburgring to beat Porsche Taycan

soly20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 TT, Range Rover Sport, BMW 525
Country flag
Its getting hotter out there! (Link: https://electrek.co/2019/09/05/tesla-model-s-nurburgring-race-track-beat-porsche-taycan/ )

Elon Musk announced that Tesla is bringing a Model S to the Nürburgring race track next week – presumably to beat the time set by the Porsche Taycan.

Before launching the Taycan earlier this week, Porsche brought a prototype of its first all-electric car to the Nürburgring-Nordschleife racetrack.

The performance electric sedan completed the notoriously difficult 20.6 km track in seven minutes and 42 seconds — claiming the “fastest four-door, all-electric sports cars” record.

Porsche had previously bragged about the Taycan being track-ready and capable of maintaining a high-power output for a long period of time, which is useful to get a good time on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife racetrack.

The German automaker specifically said that the Taycan would be better than Tesla’s vehicles at sustainable power output.

Now Porsche has unveiled the full specs of the Taycan and the inevitable comparison with Tesla’s Model S shows that the latter still has an important lead.

But that’s not enough, Tesla is now also looking to prove Porsche’s claim of better sustained power output wrong.

Musk tweeted that Tesla is going to bring a Model S to the Nürburgring-Nordschleife racetrack:

Porsche Taycan Tesla to bring Model S to Nürburgring to beat Porsche Taycan EPuBFf_K_bigger

Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1169751839035641857

Model S on Nürburgring next week

2:19 AM - Sep 6, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

2,287 people are talking about this

The CEO didn’t specifically say that it would be to beat Porsche’s recently established record, but he made the announcement right after commenting on the Porsche Taycan.

He joked about Porsche using ‘Turbo’ as a trim name for an electric car.

We have never seen the latest version of the Model S try a best lap time on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife racetrack.

Earlier this year, we saw a Tesla Model 3 Performance complete a nine-minute lap on the Nürburgring racetrack, but it was on a public driving day, and there was a lot of traffic on it slowing them down.

Also, Porsche had the Taycan driven by a professional racecar driver.

Electrek’s Take
I believe that Tesla can beat Porsche’s time, but it isn’t likely to be by a significant margin.

Either way, I find it interesting that Tesla is even trying to prove that the Model S is better. I’d thought that they would let the specs talk.

It would be interesting to see if Tesla also ends up trying to show them wrong by completing 30 consecutive 0-200 km/h runs and a faster 0-90-0 run.

I’d be surprised if Porsche didn’t do the same tests with a Model S P100D first to be sure they could beat the results, but it’s not impossible.

What do you think? Let us know in the comment section below.
Sponsored

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I wish Musk would concentrate on improving the quality of the company's cars rather than stunts like this or creating fart apps.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
I wish Musk would concentrate on improving the quality of the company's cars rather than stunts like this or creating fart apps.

Who pulled this stunt first? Who in real life does 0-120-0 on the street, or on the track, unless you are a professional racer? Musk is only trying to show that the Model S just might be able to do a better time.

As for quality, Tesla was not ranked #1 in Customer satisfaction, with Porsche being #2, on looks alone.

Why do we continually try to drag Musk down. The guy only created the best electric car company and the best space exploration company in the world in less than 2 decades. And, an AMERICAN car company employing American workers, and yet we knock him. It sucks to be brilliant! GM, Ford, BMW, Porsche, VW, etc. had at least a 60 year head start to bring a GOOD electric cars to market and the best every other car company can do is compete against a 2014 Tesla Model S. Most other car companies (yes, you BMW) are bringing compliance cars to us...and they are garbage. They are all afraid of cannabalizing their ICE cars. And, this coming from a Porsche fan who has owned some of their best cars. Competition is good, and this will only make Tesla and Porsche better.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
im wondering if your own a tesla? i only ask becuase , i own one and i feel the quality quality is pretty good. the car itself is awesome.
yes there are not alot of options. but for me its the nicest care i drove in, the car is incredible.
Was hoping to by a taycan and drive that mainyly to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a porsche, and the taycan would of servered the purpose as i vowed after driving a volt that i would never buy a ice again.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This will be exciting. I’d wager against the current production model S. I don’t doubt Tesla could, but the model 3 has better tech and is lighter. The model S has largely languished.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Who pulled this stunt first? Who in real life does 0-120-0 on the street, or on the track, unless you are a professional racer? Musk is only trying to show that the Model S just might be able to do a better time.

As for quality, Tesla was not ranked #1 in Customer satisfaction, with Porsche being #2, on looks alone.

Why do we continually try to drag Musk down. The guy only created the best electric car company and the best space exploration company in the world in less than 2 decades. And, an AMERICAN car company employing American workers, and yet we knock him. It sucks to be brilliant! GM, Ford, BMW, Porsche, VW, etc. had at least a 60 year head start to bring a GOOD electric cars to market and the best every other car company can do is compete against a 2014 Tesla Model S. Most other car companies (yes, you BMW) are bringing compliance cars to us...and they are garbage. They are all afraid of cannabalizing their ICE cars. And, this coming from a Porsche fan who has owned some of their best cars. Competition is good, and this will only make Tesla and Porsche better.
TBH, I can't see one thing I agree with on your post. Let's leave it at that.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
im wondering if your own a tesla? i only ask becuase , i own one and i feel the quality quality is pretty good. the car itself is awesome.
yes there are not alot of options. but for me its the nicest care i drove in, the car is incredible.
Was hoping to by a taycan and drive that mainyly to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a porsche, and the taycan would of servered the purpose as i vowed after driving a volt that i would never buy a ice again.
No, I don't own a Tesla. I bought TSLA very early on and am in agreement with Musk's vision of pushing for an EV vehicle future.

I took a close look at a Model 3P that someone brought last year to a National Drive Electric event I attended last year. While I didn't get to drive it, certainly the performance off the line was impressive. I'm probably pickier than most when it comes to quality (long time PCA member and concours judge) and while I felt the fit and finish of the car was OK overall, the paint job on this particular car reminded me of what GM was doing in the 1970s. Dust in the paint, fisheyes, tons of orange peel, etc. It was red and super glossy so am thinking most people would probably overlook that. But my thought was if they skimped like that on the paint process, how is this car going to hold up long-term?

I'm glad that you like your car, and even if I wasn't a TSLA shareholder, I would be rooting for them to succeed since I believe in their vision. But I have to admit I am so turned off by the attitude of some (many?) of the Tesla fanboys on websites like electrek.co or insideevs.com that I wouldn't buy one just because of that attitude. It's one thing to feel good about the car you own (sounds like you fall into this camp), but it's another to knock other people because of a decision they made or their priorities in a car. I also have concerns on Musk's ability to manage the company as they transition from a niche startup to a large manufacturer. I'm an engineer, not a manager, but I really wish Musk would realize his limitations in this area and put someone in charge who has a background in this area. Looking at Apple, Steve Jobs was smart enough to realize his limitations and put someone else to manage the operations of the company (Tim Cook). Musk seems to have done this perfectly with Space-X and Gwynne Shotwell, not sure why he can't do it with Tesla. Ok, off my soapbox now.

One last comment regarding Porsche. As a long time owner, if you haven't done so already, I would highly suggest driving one. Could be an old 356, a Boxster, a 911. IMO, once you take it for a spin on a road with some curves, you will either view the event as life-changing or simply "meh". You probably can guess which camp I fall into... :)

Last edited:

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
TBH, I can't see one thing I agree with on your post. Let's leave it at that.

That is what is so wonderful about America, we are a free country and allowed to have our own opinions, whether we let facts or alternative facts get in the way of our opinions. The information I posted, especially on customer satisfaction and where engineers and aerospace engineers want to work are facts.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-tops-consumer-reports-owner-satisfaction-list-2019-2

https://newengineer.com/insight/top-5-companies-for-automotive-engineers-to-work-for-1138899

https://newengineer.com/insight/top-9-aerospace-companies-1113357

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag

Doing the 1-200 has the purpose to show sports car enthusiast that the Taycan is a TRUE sports sedan, one that can truly sustain its ability to perform.

I am also a BIG Tesla AND Porsche fan. I have owned 5 Porsches, but no Tesla yet, although I have driven them. I WILL replace my aging work vehicle, an Acura MDX with a Tesla Y. (BTW, I replaced my Porsche Cayenne with an MDX because I thought my Cayenne was too good to be a work truck and ended up not using it as a truck)

I also do not understand why people constantly want to knock Tesla and Elon Musk. As a much smaller scale entrepreneur myself, I can only give tons of admiration for him despite his eccentric personality and constant over-promising. I always defend Tesla, but I also laugh at his promises, which to me reflect his goals, not necessarily what he will accomplish. And very importantly, Musk WANTS competition, because it will make the EVs mainstream, and not just the cool thing of the day, which is necessary for long term survival of the company.

The Tesla is a great car for what it was designed for, and don't understand why the constant comparison between Porsche and Tesla. Any one that has just simply sat inside of a Panamera and a Model S will immediately see a night and day difference between the two cars' interiors. Then compare the handling and stability control and again, one drives really great, and the other is clearly a car from a company specializing in sports cars. Anecdotally, read some of the comments on this forum of people that currently own a Tesla and love their car, but also recognize despite its acceleration, its just not YET a true sports car.

I also do not understand the childishness of so many Tesla fans. They literally are called Fanboys because they post as you would expect a child. Tesla is a wonderful and really great EV, but to be objective, there are still many things the the vehicle and the company can improve on. So please be objective and not emotional about the Tesla. Even on this forum, some Tesla fans are here only for the purpose of childish trolling.

Competition clearly is a good thing

Last edited:

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
I also have concerns on Musk's ability to manage the company as they transition from a niche startup to a large manufacturer. I'm an engineer, not a manager, but I really wish Musk would realize his limitations in this area and put someone in charge who has a background in this area. Looking at Apple, Steve Jobs was smart enough to realize his limitations and put someone else to manage the operations of the company (Tim Cook). Musk seems to have done this perfectly with Space-X and Gwynne Shotwell, not sure why he can't do it with Tesla. Ok, off my soapbox now.
During the turmoil following the 420 tweet last year Musk names Jerome Guillen as President of Tesla Automotive. Jerome has had responsibility for all manufacturing and supply chain worldwide for about a year and it is obvious that things are running more smoothly in that area. He also is helping out more in service based on the Q2 CC.

Jerome joined Tesla in 2012 from Daimler Trucks NA where he was the program manager for the Cascadia development. His first role was overseeing the successful transistion of Model S from Engineering to Manufacturing and subsequent volume buildup. He later ran all Sales and Service worldwide. After a short leave Jerome started up the Semi program. He came up with the idea for the GA4 tent and put it in place in a month which enabled Tesla to get to 5000 M3/week. Now he is shepparding the amazingly quick buildout of GF3 in Shanghai and the reconfiguration of Fremont to accommodate Model Y production.

Elon trusts Jerome just like he trusts Gwynne. No he is not COO (yet) but we no longer have Elon sleeping on the factory floor or drinking on the roof of GF1. Instead there is steadily increasing volume, quality and efficiency in Tesla manufacturing with another big ramp pending in the next 12 months with GF3 and MY.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
During the turmoil following the 420 tweet last year Musk names Jerome Guillen as President of Tesla Automotive. Jerome has had responsibility for all manufacturing and supply chain worldwide for about a year and it is obvious that things are running more smoothly in that area. He also is helping out more in service based on the Q2 CC.

Jerome joined Tesla in 2012 from Daimler Trucks NA where he was the program manager for the Cascadia development. His first role was overseeing the successful transistion of Model S from Engineering to Manufacturing and subsequent volume buildup. He later ran all Sales and Service worldwide. After a short leave Jerome started up the Semi program. He came up with the idea for the GA4 tent and put it in place in a month which enabled Tesla to get to 5000 M3/week. Now he is shepparding the amazingly quick buildout of GF3 in Shanghai and the reconfiguration of Fremont to accommodate Model Y production.

Elon trusts Jerome just like he trusts Gwynne. No he is not COO (yet) but we no longer have Elon sleeping on the factory floor or drinking on the roof of GF1. Instead there is steadily increasing volume, quality and efficiency in Tesla manufacturing with another big ramp pending in the next 12 months with GF3 and MY.
Thanks for the information. I had heard about Jerome Guillen getting appointed, but he seems to keep a very low profile compared to Musk (which may be a good thing).

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I love Porsche but think that competition is good for the customer.. So this makes Porsche and Teslas products better!
Sponsored