23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
My personal belief is that if telsa didn't announce this with the 'carrot' of federal funding, they would soon get the 'stick' in the form of federal mandates to open the network to all EVs. There will be more pressure if governments want to meet their aggressive and possibly unreasonable electrification goals.

minstril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
My concern: the cables on superchargers are pretty short, and designed for Teslas that have their port on the left rear.

If I pull a Taycan in nose first, is it going to be possible to reach the DC port on the side? Would I have to park like an absolute jackass to reach? :D

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Honestly looks like the White House was looking for something to celebrate.
7500, but only 3500 have to be superchargers (the rest can be destination chargers etc.).
This is basically "we'll take tax payer money for some of the new capacity, which we will then make publicly available". That does nothing to the existing network, nor does it say all new capacity is generally available.

Smart move from Tesla. They can open up very selectively, and for those they get funding.
And they can keep their network advantage by keeping key locations locked.
For example: if there's an EA station around there anyway, open it up. If this is in a location with zero alternatives, keep it Tesla only.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But how will we ever find an open supercharger with all those robotaxis hogging them?

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
For example: if there's an EA station around there anyway, open it up. If this is in a location with zero alternatives, keep it Tesla only.
I'm thinking the reverse is even more attractive. Open up the existing Tesla superchargers or build new ones where there's no competition.

But how will we ever find an open supercharger with all those robotaxis hogging them?
We gotta figure out who's gonna plug and unplug the robotaxis first.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Here in San Luis Obispo there are about 40 Tesla charging stations within a very small downtown (1-2 sq. miles) area. The great majority of these stations are unoccupied at any given moment. One, behind a Target, seemingly never has more than 1 or 2 Tesla's charging.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
My concern: the cables on superchargers are pretty short, and designed for Teslas that have their port on the left rear.

If I pull a Taycan in nose first, is it going to be possible to reach the DC port on the side? Would I have to park like an absolute jackass to reach? :D
Maybe our European forum members can comment on this?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Maybe our European forum members can comment on this?
A lot easier when the tombstones are on the side of the bay, rather than the traditional end of bay position, where they are too short to reach generally.

Also the CCS port is on different sides on the Taycan - depending if the car is LH or RH drive. So in the UK you pretty much have to park on the “wrong” bay to make it work.

Unless they adopt this style everywhere in future…
Porsche Taycan Tesla to open ~20% of U.S. Superchargers to all EV by end of 2024 ECA9FAA1-74EF-442B-B398-ED00F8EF69C5

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag

I dont imagine any current station will be retrofitted. rather "new" stations will be built with longer cables and the magic-dock built in.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm thinking the reverse is even more attractive. Open up the existing Tesla superchargers or build new ones where there's no competition.
That depends on whether Tesla prioritizes utilization of those "out of the way" chargers, or wants to rub it in that only Teslas can road trip through Arizona without getting stranded. (or pick your favorite long road trip)

They could have opened these up anytime... so getting higher utilization clearly wasn't a high priority. They are doing it now because of xB dollars... my bet is they will focus on locations that have ample EA presence already. Let the govt fund the "core", and spend Tesla money on further differentiation on the edges.
Sponsored