Genyosai

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron GT Prestige
Country flag
My concern: the cables on superchargers are pretty short, and designed for Teslas that have their port on the left rear.

If I pull a Taycan in nose first, is it going to be possible to reach the DC port on the side? Would I have to park like an absolute jackass to reach? :D
Actually, not for your Taycan or my e-tron GT.

On our cars, the DCFC port is on the front passenger-side (USA, that is).

On Teslas, the DCFC port is on the rear driver-side.

So, same orientation and therefore the cables should reach just fine AND we won't block a stall to charge on a Tesla Supercharger.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I will be long dead before I am able to charge at Tesla SC. Just like the FSD - & folks that paid $10k-$15K for snake oil. Frankly, my expectations are reasonable - put the god damn parking sensors back on the 3 and Y. What a pathetic joke. Where is a good glass of Kool Aid when you need it. Jim - where are you?

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Actually, not for your Taycan or my e-tron GT.

On our cars, the DCFC port is on the front passenger-side (USA, that is).

On Teslas, the DCFC port is on the rear driver-side.

So, same orientation and therefore the cables should reach just fine AND we won't block a stall to charge on a Tesla Supercharger.
I tried when I first got my Taycan and that cord definitely does not reach. I had to park sideways, taking up 2-3 chargers to get it to reach. They are going to have to do something aboup that to make this work.

Genyosai

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron GT Prestige
Country flag
I tried when I first got my Taycan and that cord definitely does not reach. I had to park sideways, taking up 2-3 chargers to get it to reach. They are going to have to do something aboup that to make this work.
Hmm. I for sure thought it should reach given the orientation is the same. Superchargers don't tend to have parking stops, so I thought putting the nose super close to the stall would suffice.

Now I have to go try at one of our local Supercharger locations and test the reach as well.

I'll report back tomorrow.

I may post pics of my car parked sideways and blocking multiple stalls as well 😂

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I dont imagine any current station will be retrofitted. rather "new" stations will be built with longer cables and the magic-dock built in.
Not always, but in most cases:

The older V2 chargers of 150kw have the charging station at the back of the parking spot.
In that case you can only charge with the Taycan if you drive until you are almost against the charging station. Really just max 10 centimeter.
This is possible at most chargers if the charging station is not behind a high curb. Most charging apps (like chargemap) have a picture of the charging station. This allows you to check upfront.

The newer V3 charger of 250kw have the charging station between the parking spots. For those there is no problem at all. The charging station is exactly where you need it for the Taycan's charging port (in right side driving countries).
You can also see if it is a V2 or V3 in the Tesla charging app.

All new stations are V3 and they are also adding V3 chargers to existing charging locations.
So in the longer run, all locations will be easy to use for Taycan's.

Maximum charging speeds are typical around 135kw.
For me the main advantage of Tesla charger is the reliability. Most have +12 charging spots. Some even +36. The chances that they do not work or all are taken, is almost 0%.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
A lot easier when the tombstones are on the side of the bay, rather than the traditional end of bay position, where they are too short to reach generally.

Also the CCS port is on different sides on the Taycan - depending if the car is LH or RH drive. So in the UK you pretty much have to park on the “wrong” bay to make it work.

Unless they adopt this style everywhere in future…
ECA9FAA1-74EF-442B-B398-ED00F8EF69C5.jpeg
I have a feeling that nearly all of the V3 stations have this layout. As you state there is no problem there at all. I have used this about a dozen times and got up to 140 kW from them. They are much more expensive than Ionity to use though. But yet better than waiting at a 50 kW charger

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Who’s been naughty then….🤣

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I did worse in Metz where the ionity was full of Tesla slow charging at more than 95% while the Tesla supercharger was empty.
I had to park sideways and on top of parking stop to be sure the cable would reach.
I was blocking 3 stations but was alone and ready to move in case somebody else arrived.
My wife didn’t want me to take a picture of it to post it on chargemap to avoid haters.
But it’s true it’s a V2 so let’s hope that the new ones will be build better.
I already went to 2 other Tesla V2 locations where the cable reached but I had to put the car on highest level and get very close to the cabin.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Thats why tesla said "select charging locations" and not "all charging locations." I am betting they will retrofit ZERO already active supercharger sites and only select few new supercharger sites will be built with adapters and longer cords. If they're not going to spend the money to upgrade v2 superchargers to v3 for their own customers, they're most certainly not going to upgrade their current chargers for non-customers.

luv4eternity

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
My concern: the cables on superchargers are pretty short, and designed for Teslas that have their port on the left rear.

If I pull a Taycan in nose first, is it going to be possible to reach the DC port on the side? Would I have to park like an absolute jackass to reach? :D

Lets be honest, the current EA cables arent really that much longer anyways. i had to pull up SUPER close (with the help of camera) with a slight angel so it doesnt hit the bumper.

shelt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S; '18 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
This is definitely the case at almost every stall/station I've visited. The cables are far too short to reach our US DC port. They basically reach the headlight area but no further. It's unclear to me whether they blow us off, extend the cables on the magic dock, or offer some form of extension cable.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
I for one would pay more for acess to the tesla super charger network. life starts to suck when you are waiting 1 before you can charge becuase HArris ranch only has 6 Electrify America chargers while they have 60 tesla chargers.