whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Cable length and position vs. charge position has been a problem for Tesla when opening up their superchargers in Europe. But it's not a Tesla unique problem. I just finished a road trip in the USA, and just on EA, I've seen all kinds of weird parking jobs in order to reach cables by different EV's with ports in different locations. Gets worse when someone is trying to reach a particular (e.g. 350KW) charger and there are other cars already parked there. I tried parking in the least blocking way, including parking in non-EV designated sport behind the chargers, but found that sometimes there just isn't a way to plug a Taycan in without blocking 1 or 2 CCS cables. As a side note, CCS cables + plugs are so much harder to handle than Tesla - they require a decent amount of physical force. I think this is partially because there is no standard for CCS charge port location so you have to force the cable into weird angles, while all Tesla cars have it standardized, because they are under a single dictator.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I will be long dead before I am able to charge at Tesla SC.
this is only true when we finds bugs in porsches CCS implementation so it won’t work

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
https://apple.news/AtTLeFPx5ShCUi2ieMy9HcQ

World First! Charging a Chevy Bolt EV on a Tesla Supercharger using Magic Dock

The news that Tesla officially allows other electric vehicle makes to charge on its Supercharger network is just a few hours old but we’ve already gone out to one of the 10 Superchargers that are enabled to give our little Chevy Bolt some Tesla juice. Here’s how it went.

The station in Brewster is about 30 miles from my house and unfortunately I had pretty close to a full charge on the Bolt when the news came out. That means when I arrived at the station, I was still close to 80% full even after driving fast. So I wouldn’t get to see what the full charging curve/experience would be like.

Also, there was only one other Tesla charging at the station. That way I didn’t feel bad about blocking other potential users from using the station.

The Chevy Bolt has its charger port on the front driver side vs. the Tesla which has it at the rear driver’s side. That means when I pull in, I have to pull into the spot forward and I’m actually taking the spot next to where a Tesla would charge, effectively using 2 spots. Like I said, there was only one car there so I didn’t try the end chargers.

Before initiating a charge, I made sure the cable would be long enough to reach the Bolt charger and even though it was further a reach than a Tesla is, it still reached with relative ease.

There’s a new tab in the Tesla app called “Charge your Non-Tesla” and within that you will see a map to nearby chargers. Once you are at the charger, it asks you want stall you are at and once entered, you are ready to charge.

Once you initiate, you will hear a click in the Magic Dock and you can pull out the charger with the adapter. It isn’t yet super easy to pull out the adapter, it takes some umph. Plugging in, you’d think was relatively simple but I had some residual snow leftover from last night’s snowstorm which prevented the charger from going in easily. I also tried a few stalls and after some finagling, I got the charge initiated.

Since I was already at 80% charge on the Chevy Bolt, I only got about 24kW of charging speed which is sadly normal for the Bolt, especially in cold conditions. Other EVs will charge much faster.

Because I still have hundreds of thousands of referral SuperCharger miles, I hoped this visit would be free. No such luck. Tesla charged me $1.47 for 3kWh of power.

Electrek’s take:

This is a huge day for EV charging in the US. With the flip of a switch, Tesla has now enabled almost every EV to get the type of charging experience they deserve. Hopefully more and more stations come online soon.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered, like parking etiquette, which stations will allow non-Tesla EV charging and how much it will cost and how fast they will fill up. For now however, we were successful in getting the small step of Supercharger power for our Chevy Bolt which is a giant leap for EV adoption.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Need someone in a Taycan to try these. Curious how the logistics with the cable length and charge speed limitation will turn out. Ideally someone with and without the 150kw/400V upgrade.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Works great in Europe and glad I have the 400 volt option.

Here is the map of Tesla chargers open for all. And very many of these locations have anything from 8 to 28 chargers installed!

Porsche Taycan Tesla to open ~20% of U.S. Superchargers to all EV by end of 2024 568FDA97-C06D-4B25-9CF9-A7EB9D960BE2

And it has been announced that Tesl is increasing their numbers even further in total. Whether that will include opening further stations for all is what I hope for. They have very reliable chargers and so many in each location that there is seldom any queuing, except big holiday travel dates.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Works great in Europe and glad I have the 400 volt option.

Here is the map of Tesla chargers open for all. And very many of these locations have anything from 8 to 28 chargers installed!

568FDA97-C06D-4B25-9CF9-A7EB9D960BE2.png

And it has been announced that Tesl is increasing their numbers even further in total. Whether that will include opening further stations for all is what I hope for. They have very reliable chargers and so many in each location that there is seldom any queuing, except big holiday travel dates.
There's now 20 SuC sites open in the UK (out of roughly 100 or so). Up from the 15 sites that were opened from May last year.

The expansion appears to be with the opening up of newer/larger V3 based sites now rather than the existing ones that are known pinch points at busy times. So there is mostly no clash with the Teslarati due to busyness.

How has it been in France?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have only used the Tesl superchargers when on longer trips. But the ones I stopped at all had 16 + chargers and quite a lot were free. Never any issues and very helpful Tesla drivers as well. Sometimes advising on one’s that we’re not so reliable etc. And most of them also very interested in my experience of Taycan. Some of them I met later the same day at Ionity chargers.

I look at a number of charging networks in Europe and looked at places with at least 150 kW power. Amazing result! Some of the networks have many chargers at the same location like 6 to 10+ chargers. But there are some like Allego that have only a few in many locations.

BUT I must sayI think EV drivers in Netherlands and Belgium must feel very lucky with the density of chargers there. There must be a HPC available every 40 km or so??

You can see it is dense with the open Tesla chargers but also the other networks is very impressive.
I checked the following networks
Tesla open for all
Ionity
Fastned (that have impressed me with their stations)
Allego.

All in all a very positive development compared to just a few years ago.

Porsche Taycan Tesla to open ~20% of U.S. Superchargers to all EV by end of 2024 37ABE27F-C072-4BAF-9305-D699883BE143

Ionity

Porsche Taycan Tesla to open ~20% of U.S. Superchargers to all EV by end of 2024 E0E53A43-D0D7-416E-9462-55C8E41FB11A

Fastned

Porsche Taycan Tesla to open ~20% of U.S. Superchargers to all EV by end of 2024 77AF3FFA-6161-4344-B2DE-57E2C09DDEB5

Allego