daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
hmmm europe - they are pushing legislation for that anyways - easier in europe - already same physical connector - harder in the US - CCS plug/cord/adapter would be required (possible but an additional hurdle)

I would not be surprised if this is not a North American thing…

but it would make the 150 kW/400V charger option more useful.

time will tell - but I’m dubious about this for North America

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
IMHO Tesla’s network is very well positioned at this point, and fairly underutilized outside of EV “hotspots” like CA.

If J1772Store was able to offer a Tesla Supercharger adapter after this became a thing I would happily buy it (hope you’re reading this, David :p).

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I'm willing to bet this has to do with the EV infrastructure bill in congress. Tesla probably won't (and shouldn't) get public funding for EV infrastructure if their chargers only work for their vehicles. I'm sure all of the public funding will require the chargers to be compatible with all vehicles.

Tesla loves feeding off the government dime.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
They’ll eventually want to share, as with time the CCS infrastructure will eventually dwarf Tesla’s footprint here.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the real problem will be how to handle billing/vehicle identification and how far “back” in the EV fleet compatibility will extend - my guess is you make the “adapter” more smart so that it could handle identification for billing purposes - the superchargers don’t have any consumer interface for entering billing information - and for example we know the MY’2020 Taycan can’t do Plug&Charge

so a few things need to happen
  • in North America what solution will be chosen to physically adapt CCS plug type vehicles to Superchargers - this is not a problem in Europe - plugs shape/size is already the same.
  • cord length is all wrong given variable position of CCS plugs on all non-Telsa EV’s - supercharger cords are super short and can only reach a Tesla if it’s backed in - adding “length” to all the superchargers will be some work - straight forward work but none the less work.
  • billing and identification - embed the ID in the adapter or add consumer point of sale interface to each supercharger?
  • how far back in the EV fleet will be compatible with the modified superchargers? 2017 ChevyBolt? 2020 Taycan?
  • will it require the vehicle manufacturer to modify firmware on the CCS vehicle - if so what are the roll out plans - would suck if this is true and then Chevy doesn’t decide to retrofit 2017 Bolts, or Porsche 2020/2021 Taycans.
  • billing/costs?
now all of these issues are 100% fixable no question - but it’s going to be interesting to see what specific solutions are adopted and deployed and in what time frame- let’s assume this is true - Tesla starts the mods mid-2022 - can we say reliably access Tesla Superchargers nationwide by mid 2023?

remember folks - check the 400V/150 kW box - Superchargers are most definately 400 volts and more than 50 kW.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or ignore it - because it's just another T gamble?
in North American probably - I think this is the trend in Europe more of this not less.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
  • billing and identification - embed the ID in the adapter or add consumer point of sale interface to each supercharger?
  • how far back in the EV fleet will be compatible with the modified superchargers? 2017 ChevyBolt? 2020 Taycan?
  • will it require the vehicle manufacturer to modify firmware on the CCS vehicle - if so what are the roll out plans - would suck if this is true and then Chevy doesn’t decide to retrofit 2017 Bolts, or Porsche 2020/2021 Taycans.
  • billing/costs?
I believe for Europe this is possible to solve. There have been a case where different cars have charged at Tesla Superchargers, notably in Germany. So the communication between the car and the charger with the CCS2 standard should be fine.

For billing you could just make it so that you need an app and the via you phone scan the charger no etc. That would not require any rollout of new HW and not so prone to failure. Most Tesla Superchargers provide WifI anyhow so that would work fine.

Cable length are a problem as you state and all V3 chargers are water cooled so quite some work, but solvable.

Now for costs? Just look at Ionity charging 0.35 Euro per kWh for VW group cars (and others in the family as well). But if you do not have a Porsche card etc, the cost is at minimum 0.79 Euro plus extra if you use a ChargePoint card etc. Can be up to 1 Euro per kWh!!! Ouch!. SoTesla could do the same pricing model. And make money.

I really hope this will come to fruition since the Supercharger network is far far more reliable than others. They just work and Tesla can and do monitor and maintain them very well.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It would be tougher to crack this nut in the US but becomes more likely as the EV share of the market continues to grow. Other tech companies have had to face this. There could also be potential antitrust avenues that could apply depending on Tesla's behavior.

All the rest is details.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I really hope this will come to fruition since the Supercharger network is far far more reliable than others. They just work and Tesla can and do monitor and maintain them very well.
Tesla’s network is more reliable for Tesla’s. We don’t know what will happen if they try to communicate with many different brands of cars. It’s hard to know how many issues lie with the cars themselves, the chargers, or the communication protocol. Also hard to know how much Tesla customer service is going to care about a Porsche unable to charge.

Regardless it would be great if they opened up to other car brands. All chargers should be universal just like gas pumps. Only way this will work in the long run.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
I use my wifes tesla mobile Charger from her model 3 to charge my taycan when home. I use it along with the
(Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger) works great.
and much better then having 2 seperate chargers at home. I have even taken it and used it tesla destination charges. no problem. In my eyes a simple plug adapter and a update to the tesla app should be able to unlock the superchargers so any car can use them. If tesla is willing to open up the super chargers to other cars, i think it shows that they are ( and have always been) in need of serious money. As their super chargers are their most prized asset, second only to their bitcoin hoard. Making it so everyone needs to download the tesla app, will also help introduce others to how superior teslas app and software game is and will no doubt encourage people to buy teslas
Sponsored