Tesla Wall Charger vs. Porsche Mobile Charger Connect?

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I currently have installed in my garage a v.2 Tesla Wall Charger pulling 64 AMPs from my panel, and it currently charges my soon-to-be-gone Tesla 85D to 85% from about 15% in about 4 hours. I also bought the TeslaTap 60AMP adapter, thinking that it would be cheaper to use that than to have an electrician install the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect in place of the Tesla Wall Charger. Is there any advantage of using the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect over the Tesla Wall charger with the TeslaTap? Would I see faster charge times using Porsche's charging system, or would they be the same? Also, are there any interface/communication advantages, some super-secret handshake, to using the Mobile Charger Connect with the Taycan over the Tesla Charger with the adapter?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there are minimal benefits to the PMCC - and it would be slower.

there is some non-essential communication between the Taycan and the PMCC (battery percentage and estimate charging time on the PMCC screen) - and there is some logging to the cloud of charge sessions - so you have charging history via your login.porsche.com account.

the North American PMCC is limited to 40 amps (or 9.6 kw) for charging speed unless you specifically have a 19.2 kW version (which I doubt) - so the charging speed would be lower- the electrician would have to install a 50 amp breaker, wire, and NEMA 14-50 (or 6-50) plug for the PMCC - so you’d be stepping down your charging speed to move to a PMCC.

also the PMCC overheats and is very very fussy about the ground.

unless the Tesla wall charger doesn’t work for you I’d apply the “if it aint’ broke” don’t fix it approach…

if I were to replace the Tesla Wall charger for some un-known reason it would not be with the PMCC but rather some other J-1772 charger that is less money and more reliable (ClipperCreek, ChargePoint, JuiceBox, EA Home Charger)

the PMCC is not cheap and there are better more reliable and more affordable EV chargers if you are looking to replace your Tesla Wall chargers.

for North America I believe the general consensus on this forum is that the PMCC for the North American market is substandard, expensive, and not that great of a solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm charging on a Tesla HPWC w/ TeslaTap currently.

The performance of the Tesla HPWC is disappointing, around 24 mi/hr charge time (or half what our Model 3 gets.) Tis is due to the 11kW on board charger on the Taycan.

I do plan to install a NEMA 14-50 and use Porsches as soon as I can for convenience reasons (the adapter is a pain to plug and unplug, for one thing.) I realize it will be even slower still when I do this.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the Model 3 has the same maximum charge rate at the Taycan 48 amps @ 240 volts which is 11 kW - miles/hr charge rates are misleading and use the EPA ratings of range - we all know Tesla fudges these numbers and the Taycan’s range is conservative.

rest assured both cars are charging just as fast as one another in terms of “kwh” delivered per hour of change - any difference in charge rate is then a result of consumption efficiency…I owned a Model 3 for 2 years and never got anywhere close to it’s EPA rated range - even when I was trying.
Sponsored