Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I never owned a Tesla but always respected the company for its audacious pioneering role in bringing EVs into the mainstream, even though some of its hyperbolic language is silly or sometimes even dangerous (think Autopilot or Full Self-Driving). However, I was disappointed to read the article below which refers to Tesla's fudging the normally straightforward 0-60 mph acceleration spec by sneaking in "rollout" for its higher-performance models. Am I too harsh in my judgment? One would think that Tesla's superior software and user interface, as well as its unparalleled charging network should be sufficient to compete in an honest way.

https://insideevs.com/news/505597/engineering-explained-model-s-acceleration-rollout/
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I believe most "official" tests are conducted with rollout. Brooks (Drag Times) talks about it one of his videos.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I figured everyone uses like 12" of rollout on any standing start timing.

Mags like C&D usually list their rollout used when stating 0-60 and 1/4mi times.

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just shows that YouTubers, Engineers and Scientists can be useful from time to time.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Yeah, personally, I dont' really care about the rollout. I kind of just assume any 0-60 time is adjusted like that. (and frankly, this whole debacle is another example of why 0-60 is such a ridiculous metric). But, it seems that they didn't adjust for rollout on the regular long range thus giving the illusion that there's a greater performance difference between it and the plaid model. I take everything that Tesla says or any statistics they quote with a grain of salt at this point. I'm just surprised that anyone is surprised by them at this point. They will always push the boundaries when it comes to making their cars look better on paper.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I believe most "official" tests are conducted with rollout. Brooks (Drag Times) talks about it one of his videos.
Official as in magazine. Not necessarily OEMs.

Based on Porsche's published 0-60 times for the Taycan they clearly include the rollout. Porsche claims the Taycan Turbo S does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. Car and Driver got 2.4 seconds with the rollout subtracted, and states the 1ft rollout was 0.2 seconds.

The issue with Tesla is they appear to have traditionally used 0-60 times with the rollout included, but suddenly have changed only the Plaid and Plaid+ 0-60 times to include a fine print disclaimer. So it's an ethical question regarding false advertising.

Tesla likes to push the truth when it comes to cost (the price for their vehicles defaults to the "potential savings" price on their website), range (we've all read the EPA versus real world numbers, and now 0-60 times.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Not a lie at all. I drag raced a lot with my previous car (no expert here mind you), and I follow the hobby. Most official times given in these cases include a rollout. Most street racers would prefer times from a stop or a “dig” when talking 0-60.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Official as in magazine. Not necessarily OEMs.

Based on Porsche's published 0-60 times for the Taycan they clearly include the rollout. Porsche claims the Taycan Turbo S does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. Car and Driver got 2.4 seconds with the rollout subtracted, and states the 1ft rollout was 0.2 seconds.

The issue with Tesla is they appear to have traditionally used 0-60 times with the rollout included, but suddenly have changed only the Plaid and Plaid+ 0-60 times to include a fine print disclaimer. So it's an ethical question regarding false advertising.

Tesla likes to push the truth when it comes to cost (the price for their vehicles defaults to the "potential savings" price on their website), range (we've all read the EPA versus real world numbers, and now 0-60 times.
YEah clearly they just wanted to be the first to advertise a sub 2 second car.

Reactions: Reg

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
People cant be surprised anymore about Tesla straight lying about almost everything...
Well, I also think its a little bit of (ahem ahem) "insecurity" on someone's part once the Taycan was available. So he may have started using a "special" measuring stick to feel better about his "performance."

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the upcoming 2020 Roadster….
The Tesla Roadster, it is the future and always will be! (Bad joke about whether and when it will actually come out, I can’t believe people have put down a $50k deposit on that thing).

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For the "signature" edition or something like that, you needed to pay the full amount up front. $250k.
Is that before or after I buy a bridge from Elon Musk in NY/NJ? Honestly I just don’t get it, does he have some kind of magic mind bending drug I have failed to use yet?
Sponsored