Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I don't know if I've seen the "TeslaTap 50 amp-High Power"
Porsche Taycan TeslaTap purchase Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 9.25.09 AM
on their website before. Wouldn't his be sufficient for a road trip emergency bag? Any reason to advance to the 60 or 80 amp? Is the advantage of the Mini just the compact nature? Thanks.
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 9.25.09 AM.png
on their website before. Wouldn't his be sufficient for a road trip emergency bag? Any reason to advance to the 60 or 80 amp? Is the advantage of the Mini just the compact nature? Thanks.
50A would probably be fine for an emergency bag, but I still recommend you go higher. Copying from a similar discussion on another thread (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/teslatap-mini-adapter-feedback.4657/post-73197):

In my opinion I would avoid the 40A device since there is a chance that you could connect it to a charger that delivers more than 40A. Since the Taycan's onboard AC charger is 11kW by default or 19.2kW if you specced the upgrade, if you plugged your TeslaTap into an 80A Tesla Destination Charger, for instance, and into your Taycan it could draw at least 46A which would exceed the rating of the 40A MINI unless you were able to limit the current on the Tesla charger. For the meager price difference I would recommend the 60A or 80A TeslaTap to future-proof the purchase, open up a wider range of chargers you can use and provide an additional measure of safety.
Coincidentally, I discovered today that my workplace just installed seven Tesla HPWCs so I plugged in my Taycan with the TeslaTap just for fun and saw 10kW on the display indicating that more than 40A are being drawn.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 9.25.09 AM.png
60-80 amps would be better for the rare high power l2 that are out there

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
50A would probably be fine for an emergency bag, but I still recommend you go higher. Copying from a similar discussion on another thread (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/teslatap-mini-adapter-feedback.4657/post-73197):

In my opinion I would avoid the 40A device since there is a chance that you could connect it to a charger that delivers more than 40A. Since the Taycan's onboard AC charger is 11kW by default or 19.2kW if you specced the upgrade, if you plugged your TeslaTap into an 80A Tesla Destination Charger, for instance, and into your Taycan it could draw at least 46A which would exceed the rating of the 40A MINI unless you were able to limit the current on the Tesla charger. For the meager price difference I would recommend the 60A or 80A TeslaTap to future-proof the purchase, open up a wider range of chargers you can use and provide an additional measure of safety.
Coincidentally, I discovered today that my workplace just installed seven Tesla HPWCs so I plugged in my Taycan with the TeslaTap just for fun and saw 10kW on the display indicating that more than 40A are being drawn.
Brent,

Was thinking of getting the 80AMP teslatap and then thought, is it needed if I didn't spec the 19.2 AC charger on the Taycan? Wouldn't it be limited to the 60AMPs for a limit of 11Kw of the Taycan? I was going to make the purchase on the 80 and wanted to pause to see if 60 is my max charge with my configuration. Thoughts? Anyone have this thought?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Brent,

Was thinking of getting the 80AMP teslatap and then thought, is it needed if I didn't spec the 19.2 AC charger on the Taycan? Wouldn't it be limited to the 60AMPs for a limit of 11Kw of the Taycan? I was going to make the purchase on the 80 and wanted to pause to see if 60 is my max charge with my configuration. Thoughts? Anyone have this thought?
60/48 amps is the max charge rate of any taycan unless you have specified the 22/19.2 kW charging option.

60 amp version of the TeslaTap is more than sufficient for the factory stock Taycan.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
60/48 amps is the max charge rate of any taycan unless you have specified the 22/19.2 kW charging option. 60 amp version of the TeslaTap is more than sufficient for the factory stock Taycan.
I agree. For current use, 60A is more than enough. I bought the 80A as a future-proof since the cost difference was negligible and who knows, the next EV I get may support 19.2kW charging. This will let me use the TeslaTap a little longer and for a wider array of vehicles.

OP
OP
Piper

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Thank everyone for your guiding comments. Ordering the 60A.

GSH95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Sorry for ignorance, new to this space... Does it hurt to just by the 80A? I assume that I can use the 80A tesla tap everywhere (even if the breaker only delivers 40A or 60A). Is that a correct assumption?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes - more amps is not a problem

it's if you buy a 40 amp version and then plug into a 60 amp Tesla Charger - the Taycan will happily pull 48 amps from that charger and it could literally "melt" the wires & insulation due to excess heat during the charging session - this could cause a short and potentially a fire...

so IMHO it's just easier to buy the "bigger amp" TeslaTap - and then it's always safe...

it's a $150k vehicle and the price difference between he various Tesla taps is less than $100 - seems a no brainer to me - this isn't the place to pinch pennies.

GSH95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
yes - more amps is not a problem

it's if you buy a 40 amp version and then plug into a 60 amp Tesla Charger - the Taycan will happily pull 48 amps from that charger and it could literally "melt" the wires & insulation due to excess heat during the charging session - this could cause a short and potentially a fire...

so IMHO it's just easier to buy the "bigger amp" TeslaTap - and then it's always safe...

it's a $150k vehicle and the price difference between he various Tesla taps is less than $100 - seems a no brainer to me - this isn't the place to pinch pennies.
Thank you.

Follow-up questions having a 240v-60Amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 plug installed at the office. Can I use with Porsche Mobile charger connect with 60Amp breaker?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you.

Follow-up questions having a 240v-60Amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 plug installed at the office. Can I use with Porsche Mobile charger connect with 60Amp breaker?
yes and no - nema 14-50 is 50 amps - the 50 in the name is plug/wire rating - so it will be fine but will only use 50 amps - so the 60 amp breaker is a waste in this circumstance - but it’s over-spec so it is safe

porsche charger is 9.6 kw only which is max power for 50 amp circuit

GSH95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
yes and no - nema 14-50 is 50 amps - the 50 in the name is plug/wire rating - so it will be fine but will only use 50 amps - so the 60 amp breaker is a waste in this circumstance - but it’s over-spec so it is safe

porsche charger is 9.6 kw only which is max power for 50 amp circuit
Thanks, really appreciate insight. I am trying to future proof as much as possible. Will probably add a Chargepoint Charger at office at some point (that is what I did at home) that will allow charging up to 50Amps.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you are having the 60 amp breaker "installed" at the office- do the following:

1. install a 60 breaker
2. instruct electrician to install/pull/spec at least 60 amp wire
3. install a Hubble Industries NEMA 14-50 plug

this will future proof your install - such that when you upgrade to a ClipperCreek HCS 60 in the future it's a trivial swap to just remove the NEMA 14-50 plug and hard wire the ClipperCreek to the existing wiring inside the plug-box - no new breaker, no new wire - should take less than 2 hours - even maybe less than an hour.

60 amp breaker is the maximum power a standard Taycan can charge at - 48 amps charge rate off a 60 amp breaker is about 11.8 kW charge rate.

Last edited:

GSH95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
if you are having the 60 amp breaker "installed" at the office- do the following:

1. install a 60 breaker
2. instructor electrician to install/pull/spec 60 amp wire
3. install a Hubble Industries NEMA 14-50 plug

this will future proof your install - such that when you upgrade to a ClipperCreek HCS 60 in the future it's a trivial swap to just remove the NEMA 14-50 plug and hard wire the ClipperCreek to the existing wiring inside the plug-box - no new breaker, no new wire - should take less than 2 hours - even maybe less than an hour.

60 amp breaker is the maximum power a standard Taycan can charge at - 48 amps charge rate off a 60 amp breaker is about 11.8 kW charge rate.
Perfect. Thanks.