Testing Continues - unsurprising results Porsche's J-1772 EVSE works with other J-1772 EV's

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
from the land of unsurprising but none the less now factually confirmed results
  1. Porsche's Mobile Charger charges a Tesla @ 40 amps just fine
  2. PMC charges a Chevy Bolt @32 amps just fine - although the Porsche charger and the Bolt take over 2 minutes to begin the charging session - hmmmmm
  3. PMC charges a Nissan Leaf @ 16 amps just fine
  4. PMC charges a Volt just fine
Since your 1st EV isn't likely to be your last EV, I post this so that as we grow into the EV world you can come to realize your home charging install isn't just for your Taycan - you're really installing your charging setup for your Taycan and any future EV's you may enjoy to purchase.

again these results are not surprising - but I have now personally verified the Porsche Mobile Charger works for other EV's - I'm limited in my testing to cars I personally have access to, so apologies if your favorite non-Porsche EV is not listed - if you're willing to come by my home I'll let you plug in for your own test.
Sponsored

Last edited:

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
from the land of unsurprising but none the less now factually confirmed results
  1. Porsche's Mobile Charger charges a Tesla @ 40 amps just fine
  2. PMC charges a Chevy Bolt @32 amps just fine - although the Porsche charger and the Bolt take over 2 minutes to begin the charging session - hmmmmm
  3. PMC charges a Nissan Leaf @ 16 amps just fine
  4. PMC charges a Volt just fine
Since your 1st EV isn't likely to be your last EV, I post this so that as we grow into the EV world you can come to realize your home charging install isn't just for your Taycan - you're really installing your charging setup for your Taycan and any future EV's you may enjoy to purchase.

again these results are not surprising - but I have now personally verified the Porsche Mobile Charger works for other EV's - I'm limited in my testing to cars I personally have access to, so apologies if your favorite non-Porsche EV is not listed - if you're willing to come by my home I'll let you plug in for your own test.
I'm willing to test my BMW i3 and my wife's e-Golf at some point, though I strongly suspect that they will just work.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I am not surprised at all that the Porsche Charger can charge other EV’s. Here in Europe I think all cars are supplied with the Mennekes type 2 connector for AC charging. If there has been a standard for the plug it would be silly to implement proprietary communication between a charger and any car?

I guess it is a bit different in the US since you have a few different standards at present for connectors. So Tesla, Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche all have the Type2 connector in Europe, as well as the CCS 2 connector. There are some cars with CHAdeMO connectors also. Fast chargers here can have the two types for DC charging.

And the Porsche Mobile Connect “charger”, is just like a relay, albeit with a lot of safety features, RCB, both AC and DC, Fuses and other protection. It is the car that has the actual charger.

I am intrigued by your comment that the Chevy Bolt and the PMCC took over two minutes to communicate and start charging? I have tried my European Tesla UMC and that would just give the red light on the Taycan and did not charge. However I never gave it a longer time to see if it started after a while. The Tesla Wall Connector works just fine and brings 11 kW just fine.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
In the US we have 3 fast charging standards but only one established L1/L2 (AC power) standard

J-1772 is the dominant/universal standard for AC charging - 120 & 240 volt

the 3 fast charging standards are:
  1. Tesla Superchargers
  2. DC-Combo/CCS (Taycan and most EV's)
  3. Chademo (Nissan)
Chademo is dying out…
CCS is the up and coming standard
Tesla is doing their own thing, but I expect a CCS adapter at some point in the future, they will have to do it…

it is 100% expected and unsurprising that Porsche's J-1772 US charger works for other J-1772 vehicles, but like I said it's now factually confirmed J-1772 seems pretty well understood by the auto community and chargers and cars all seem to have pretty good and universal support.
Sponsored