Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
EDIT: Test video output from the FitcamX loaded - will add more later including tracking a brand new 2022 911 Turbo Sport on I10 on way home :)

Couple of videos in this post: #9

Texas specific content here:

Returned from a trip to Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill country yesterday and another trip with 100% PnC success - zero issues.

Interestingly I saw technicians making repairs/maintenance in two EA stations on this trip - had not read of many instances where this type of activity was spotted by others on the forum i.e. most comments have been noting the opposite in that these stations are left entirely unsupported in respect physical maintenance. So perhaps a good sign (or alternately that these stations are getting to the point that they need maintenance!).

Was planning to return via Austin but ended up using the same stations on our return trip (apologies @Hirschaj that we couldn't meet up this time, as our plans changed again and we stopped over in SA on way home - but always up for a trip to Austin so time yet perhaps).

Stations used (each multiple times) in TX to date include the following and in all cases PnC worked flawlessly:

Houston Heights
Houston I10 East
Sugarland
Katy
Alleyton (beside Columbus)
San Antonio (north)

Future plan will include the station at Roundrock on north side of Austin (which I'm sure many here have used) and perhaps the I45 station midway between Houston and Galveston.

Outbound at a 350kW charger in Walmart, San Antonio (Thousand Oaks):
Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5117

Lady in a Mach E was using the 150kW charger despite another open 350kW charger available beside me:
Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5119

I am actually useless these days it seems when it comes to reminding myself to take pics of the car when traveling! Tons of opportunity in the Hill Country drives we did but was more in to the driving I guess :)

Parked by the available overnight chargers at our chalets one block from the main street in Fredericksburg - this was a decider in respect where to stay - really great as was the whole B&B experience here - both NEMA 14-50 (use your own EVSE) and available Tesla EVSE's here.

Went ahead and tested out my 60A TeslaTap with the available Tesla EVSE and worked perfectly - preferred using my Porsche unit for overnight though:

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5121

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5122

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5130

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5132

Enchanted Rock always worth a visit in this area - went up summit trail and walked over to opposite hill for this shot - specks on top of hill (Summit Trail) are people for scale :)!

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5168

Some guys doing some bouldering/climbing instruction in middle bottom of image:

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5176

WIfe is a strong lass :)
Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5160

Free music always nice - this a walk-in off main street - some very nice high end restaurants including the new Sage venue - was blown away (not nec in a good way) at how big Fredericksburg has gotten - expanded a lot!:
Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5179

Here is one tech servicing an EA charger (150kW) in the San Antonio station on our return trip. I again had access to the 350kW charger - chap beside me in the ID4 was initially at a 150kW and when he saw me go directly to the end to the 350's, he too moved to the additional open 350 beside me - he was drooling a bit over my car :)!

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5183

Here is the company contracted to service the SA station:
Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.03.47 AM

Little more action going on at the Columbus station on the way home - since the Mach E, owned by a guy who builds/services these very units apparently(!), and who I later passed on way into Houston despite my getting 46kW of charge (time) at this station(!!), was occupying the easier to reach 350 outlet so I had to park sideways to access the other available 350kW unit but still I managed to not block any other charger in doing so. This layout issue is one definite improvement the EA stations could work on in respect access for Taycan's specifically (coupled with making the hoses just 2 ft longer - and I know efficiency issues might ensue etc).

EA Station at Alleyton, TX - Snappy's Market has restrooms and basic fare (mostly junk food!):
Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5187

The charging unit the other Taycan driver was using was a 150kW and (as shown on our charge planner on way in) there was one unit not working here and another working at reduced capacity in this station that had 7 chargers. She was trying to use the reduced power unit but the Mach E chap was done soon enough to allow her to access the other 350kW.

I actually had not realized also that two pumps/hoses on each unit does not equate to allowing two cars to charge at one charging unit i.e. the cooling tower in these units can only cope with one car attached to each charger, so the two hoses apparently there only for convenience (I assume this is correct?).

Have to say, car not looking too shabby after 500+ miles on the road at this point:

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5189

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_5190

And before the avalanche of comments re dysfunctional EA networks descends, I am just reporting my experiences in Texas to date which have been without incident (luckily I guess).

Most of our charging sessions ranged between 14-24 minutes - opportunities to stretch the legs and give the butt a break - really enjoying the car.

Cheers, C.

Last edited:

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Excellent, thanks for the report!!

Like you, I too have had nothing but great experiences at EA stations in Texas and LA.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Can you link me to the place you stayed with chargers?

I skipped Boxstoberfest last year due to lack of charger and would like to go this year.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you link me to the place you stayed with chargers?

I skipped Boxstoberfest last year due to lack of charger and would like to go this year.
http://beethovenvillas.com - they are booked (only) through AirBnB but each villa is listed separately there so worth visiting their dedicated site to see all options first. Owners are 100% excellent and responsive. These villas are relatively new and they were looking for feedback too. Great base location for the area - be prepared for the endless stream of 18 wheelers through town during the day at least right now (crazy amount of construction ongoing apparently)!

Last edited:

rcsting

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The Mach E can only charge at up to 150KW and the ID4 can only charge up to 125KW so fortunately you had a 350KW to charge at. Sounds like a great trip .

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Mach E can only charge at up to 150KW and the ID4 can only charge up to 125KW so fortunately you had a 350KW to charge at. Sounds like a great trip .
Ah, interesting thx - yeah was fun to just get out and about!

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ugh. I will seek other options. I despise airbnb, they are a slimy unethical company.
You could always contact the owners direct - but you’re call.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Created a YouTube channel to share some vids from the installed FitcamX dash cam - love the fit and finish and video quality very good but need to sort out a polarizer solution to diminish the bad windscreen reflections - working on it!

NOTE- BE SURE TO TURN ON HIGHEST RESOLUTION under settings in the YouTube vid link - even with that on the original 4K output is massively compressed and grainy. Might need to use Flickr or something else for higher resolution uploads.

Came upon a brand new 911 Turbo S on return trip who was doing some fairly aggressive passing with a heavy foot :) - I was in Normal mode and the CT effortlessly kept up and as smooth as you like. Let him go but actually caught up in traffic later and he rolled up beside - think they were not entirely happy a 'wagon' had kept pace with them!

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
(apologies @Hirschaj that we couldn't meet up this time, as our plans changed again and we stopped over in SA on way home - but always up for a trip to Austin so time yet perhaps).
No worries, sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing all of that info. Let me know if you ever get up to Austin.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Thanks for taking the effort. Enjoyed that.

P.S. I park all sorts of angles over here in the UK especially as the DC charger is on the 'wrong side'. I don't know why most of the world insists on driving on the wrong side of the road.

Porsche Taycan Texas EA Charging network and mini-trip report to Hill Country IMG_20220109_082935

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Created a YouTube channel to share some vids from the installed FitcamX dash cam - love the fit and finish and video quality very good but need to sort out a polarizer solution to diminish the bad windscreen reflections - working on it!

NOTE- BE SURE TO TURN ON HIGHEST RESOLUTION under settings in the YouTube vid link - even with that on the original 4K output is massively compressed and grainy. Might need to use Flickr or something else for higher resolution uploads.

Came upon a brand new 911 Turbo S on return trip who was doing some fairly aggressive passing with a heavy foot :) - I was in Normal mode and the CT effortlessly kept up and as smooth as you like. Let him go but actually caught up in traffic later and he rolled up beside - think they were not entirely happy a 'wagon' had kept pace with them!

I think he thought he was going to show you what’s up when he passed on the right because he stepped on it! So good that you followed right along. ?

X88

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks for posting this; I enjoyed reading your report.

We were in Fredericksburg ourselves the week before you ... it was very cold (25ºF) and not sunny though! I wondered what it would be like to repeat the roadtrip once my Taycan arrives (TYD currently shows July 08 at my dealership in Houston, but I guess that's assuming production resumes shortly).

All your useful info on charging stations and the chalets with overnight chargers will come in useful when it's time to plan the return trip!
Sponsored