louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Sometimes the navigation sends me down “minor” roads, which in Maine might be dirt.

Only one water crossing. Ok, fine, it was just a mud puddle.

I had to go to the High setting on the air suspension a couple of times.

The pickup truck drivers were amused.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I’ll go try to find deeper puddles!!

or I’ll drive on the beach.

Porsche Taycan Thanks Nav, that dirt road was fun 8DC738B6-EAE8-43F7-8A46-AA15BCFD13A3

Porsche Taycan Thanks Nav, that dirt road was fun 23419EAC-0D01-4D9A-A03D-582FE17F9774

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Nav is probably set up that way on purpose so you feel the need to buy a Cross Turismo or EV Macan when they come out. "Hey, can we have the Nav send them down sketchy roads as often as possible so they feel the need to add a different EV Porsche for off-roading?"

Clever, Porsche, clever.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I once had a BMW that sent me through a mapped subdivision In the desert. Unfortunately the subdivision had never been built. Some roads were dirt and adventurous as I was, I had to eventually turn around due to a dry river bed blocking my way.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I believe BMW and Porsche have the same map material! And the navigation is not the sharpest knife in the rack.

Hera are a few pictures of my experience
Porsche Taycan Thanks Nav, that dirt road was fun F59FEB16-C4F2-41A2-8D97-8FD44B7D803F

As you can see it wants to go down a certain route

Porsche Taycan Thanks Nav, that dirt road was fun 8D6CC27B-A8C8-4301-940E-C7776DA6C7F4

It is very narrow and if you look carefully at the end of the path, it looks green.
Zoomed in it looks like this!
Porsche Taycan Thanks Nav, that dirt road was fun BF1BB58B-092D-4F29-BF63-8578956D74CE

Not even the CrossTurismo or Macan would manage that one.
Coming back the other way on the road towards that path, you are met with some strairs. :D:oops:.

Similar route directions have happened to me three times in different places, two of the places I had never driven to so knew nothing about the direction. In the dark it was a challenge to reverse quite a bit with the camera being what it is!

So I think there is some room for improvement.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
HERE maps are still, unfortunately, not good. It's interesting that they use Google Maps in other Porsches...

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
HERE maps are still, unfortunately, not good. It's interesting that they use Google Maps in other Porsches...
I wonder what the deal with that is, because I thought one of reason HERE got contracts with auto manufacturers is because they’ll provide offline mapping and routing data whereas GOOG requires a persistent connection to get the latest and greatest (and also to figure out how to serve you ads).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder what the deal with that is, because I thought one of reason HERE got contracts with auto manufacturers is because they’ll provide offline mapping and routing data whereas GOOG requires a persistent connection to get the latest and greatest (and also to figure out how to serve you ads).
HERE was the old Navtec that was bought by Nokia at some stage for a crazy sum!

Nokia since sold that unit to the German auto industry , Audi, BMW, and Daimler, Bosch, and Intel, I think. I am not up to date on all shareholders. So there are huge companies that have an interest that it should work. No idea how you can report a correction to a map?

Last edited:

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Think I'll be cabling the iphone and using google or waze. Quite like Waze for the crowdsourced speed cameras. May come in handy!!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Think I'll be cabling the iphone and using google or waze. Quite like Waze for the crowdsourced speed cameras. May come in handy!!
That is what I am doing as well. I use Google maps for finding addresses I have not been to. The drawback on long journeys is that the charging planner will not precondition the battery for optimal charging at Ionity stations then. I use the car navigation going on motorways etc for that purpose only. And that is hoping that the car will have the Ionity station in its database, which is not always the case?

I am still waiting for one of these 90 degree iPhone connectors so I can try out the antenna coupling for the car in the armrest. I hope that antenna coupling then also helps mantain a good gps signal for the phone, or share that signal with the cars gps?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
That is what I am doing as well. I use Google maps for finding addresses I have not been to. The drawback on long journeys is that the charging planner will not precondition the battery for optimal charging at Ionity stations then. I use the car navigation going on motorways etc for that purpose only. And that is hoping that the car will have the Ionity station in its database, which is not always the case?

I am still waiting for one of these 90 degree iPhone connectors so I can try out the antenna coupling for the car in the armrest. I hope that antenna coupling then also helps mantain a good gps signal for the phone, or share that signal with the cars gps?
Should do, from what I've heard. Do you have a iPhone plus, I'm hoping the cables I've bought will be okay without the angle connector. I just have a Iphone x. Also bought C to C usb for iPad that will sit on the back seat to use when charging etc. Or when the wife throws me out of the house for talking taycan every night....

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I have the larger scrreen and think it is a 11
Should do, from what I've heard. Do you have a iPhone plus, I'm hoping the cables I've bought will be okay without the angle connector. I just have a Iphone x. Also bought C to C usb for iPad that will sit on the back seat to use when charging etc. Or when the wife throws me out of the house for talking taycan every night....
Yes I have an iPhone max, the larger screen. The normal straight cable worked in it but the cable got quite a hard bend so it did not look right.

I have just got delivery of my cable with angled connector and it works great. Not strain on cable or connector. Wired CarPlay in full flow. Waze and Google maps work fine as does Apple Music etc.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The NAV in my 2011 BMW is much much worse than it was in my 2004 car. I guess it’s because of the HERE maps. For example, when I want to get on the highway heading south out of my town, the NAV wants me to get on the northbound ramp, drive up to the next exit, and then get off and on again on the southbound entrance. Silly.
Sponsored