lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I just want to share the build of the bike rack. I took the design from bsclywilly and it was not too tricky but spent some time in the mill and CNC to make it right. I think the length Of the bars is 29 inches excluding insert after I shaved it.

This is a very simple design and the only issue it that the front wheel of the bike is oscillating while driving the car. I will attach the front wheel with a strap to the bike frame and it should stop the vibrating movement.

I also use the electric plug on the trailer connection and it works well as you can’t open the trunk by accident and scratch it on the bike’ pedal.

It is very simple to mount on the car. I time less than 4 minutes to unmount it once the bikes are unloaded. The beauty is that the design takes very little space in the trunk once I set one of the seats flat. The 1UP racks could have been lighter but not that bad. The single screw per side is very easy to tight from the bottom.

Actually, I’m happy that I never get the big and heavy bike rack from Porsche. I'm wondering how you can store it in the trunk as it may take all the volume of it.

Anyway, big thank you for your perfect and simple design.
It can be checked here: Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums

Porsche Taycan The alternative bike rack EF99B326-17DC-4E04-9001-F802FEFE68F0
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I just want to share the build of the bike rack. I took the design from bsclywilly and it was not too tricky but spent some time in the mill and CNC to make it right. I think the length Of the bars is 29 inches excluding insert after I shaved it.

This is a very simple design and the only issue it that the front wheel of the bike is oscillating while driving the car. I will attach the front wheel with a strap to the bike frame and it should stop the vibrating movement.

I also use the electric plug on the trailer connection and it works well as you can’t open the trunk by accident and scratch it on the bike’ pedal.

It is very simple to mount on the car. I time less than 4 minutes to unmount it once the bikes are unloaded. The beauty is that the design takes very little space in the trunk once I set one of the seats flat. The 1UP racks could have been lighter but not that bad. The single screw per side is very easy to tight from the bottom.

Actually, I’m happy that I never get the big and heavy bike rack from Porsche. I'm wondering how you can store it in the trunk as it may take all the volume of it.

It can be checked here: Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums

EF99B326-17DC-4E04-9001-F802FEFE68F0.jpeg
Well done indeed and dibs for recognizing and acknowledging Will's design - simply cannot wait to get mine but a ways to go :) - Happy trails!

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Awesome that it worked out for you! Nice work!!

You can push down on the wheel locking bars quite a bit to make the bikes more secure. I’ll usually have the tire compressed a fair bit, like 1/3rd of it’s height. That should reduce any wobbling. On skinny road bike tires I tend to see a bit more wobbling I think due to the smaller area in contact.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
You are allowed to drive with that in the US?
No tail lights, stop sign or indicator and we can’t see your plate…
I wouldn’t go very far in Europe before being stopped by the police.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
That's a great point, perhaps when speeding, it should only be done with a bike rack.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Not a problem here in the US.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Whilst indeed not as onerous in the US (you can still see the main car lights albeit obviously partially obscured) I'm not entirely happy having no lights back there either and so I went ahead and bought this simple easily installed setup for the rack - has built in LED running, brake and indicator lights and use a std plug - have an extra reg plate too that I will add also.

HOWEVER I have yet to test if it actually works :), as car still in custom shop but will report back once I do - if fails then it would be a rel. simple pin to wiring fix that I would likely rely on others to solve (not my expertise) if it doesn't or look at a multitude of other cheap fixes!

Porsche Taycan The alternative bike rack Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 4.45.30 PM

Porsche Taycan The alternative bike rack Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 4.45.55 PM

OP
OP

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
That's a great point, perhaps when speeding, it should only be done with a bike rack.
This is not a problem. Thé tuhle bike rack in the US are sold without plate holder or lights. I know it sound a bit crazy but this is fine.
for Europe you only need to add lights an plate holder. Remember this is not a trailer.

Nachyomama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Awesome that it worked out for you! Nice work!!

You can push down on the wheel locking bars quite a bit to make the bikes more secure. I’ll usually have the tire compressed a fair bit, like 1/3rd of it’s height. That should reduce any wobbling. On skinny road bike tires I tend to see a bit more wobbling I think due to the smaller area in contact.
Is this something worth patenting for you? No idea what kind of cost that would be but I feel like people have patented dumber things?

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Is this something worth patenting for you? No idea what kind of cost that would be but I feel like people have patented dumber things?
Not really. Just happy to see my design performing as intended and being used by others. Although if someone were to commercialize it… I might regret that.

OP
OP

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Seems to be pretty limited market to invest in a patent.

OP
OP

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Someone probably said the same thing about legos.
not sure but we have three Taycans in the street with 20 houses. This is a bit ridiculous but still it will only apply to CT.Also it can only applies to the two bars attachement concept available on the CT which is pretty limited.

TOMTAYCAN

First Name
Thomas Vigil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4 Edition, Tundra, 4Runner, Taycan 4s CT
Country flag

EF99B326-17DC-4E04-9001-F802FEFE68F0.jpeg
would you be interested in building one for me? I would definitely buying this for my CT4s

OP
OP

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hello

we just came back from a 600 miles drive with two big E-mtb. Noting to report the bikes are still here even at high speed. On the other hand the battery at that speed is not lasting very long. About 150 miles. As far as speed I prefer not saying how fast.
Sponsored