gt3dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 GT3, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I havent driven a RWD model, however i know its similar in performance to my Tesla Model Y Daily. The performance should be better for the price. However you slice it and dice it Taycans are expensive 110 for a rwd, 130-140k for a 4s, 160+ for a gts...etc, etc.

It was quite aweful when you added ADMs to it, glad those days are gone(even in socal).
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I havent driven a RWD model, however i know its similar in performance to my Tesla Model Y Daily. The performance should be better for the price. However you slice it and dice it Taycans are expensive 110 for a rwd, 130-140k for a 4s, 160+ for a gts...etc, etc.

It was quite aweful when you added ADMs to it, glad those days are gone(even in socal).
It's a Porsche

OP
OP

Irish Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche GT3; 2022 Porsche Panamera GTS
Country flag

Yes, thank goodness re: ADMs - I checked a couple of local dealers and I’m getting 2-3% off MSRP offers for a RWD build slot without even trying. I’ll keep looking and see where I end up.

In Porsche land, you pay a big premium for the chassis, steering, and driving feel that comes with the brand. My Panamera GTS was more expensive than an M5, but nowhere near as fast. But it has compensating advantages. :)

Back to the Taycan: I took another RWD for a spin as a sanity-check, and remain equally impressed. At highway speeds, it’s seriously fast. And the handling is ridiculous - a world beyond any Tesla. It feels worth the price to me.

gt3dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 GT3, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes, thank goodness re: ADMs - I checked a couple of local dealers and I’m getting 2-3% off MSRP offers for a RWD build slot without even trying. I’ll keep looking and see where I end up.

In Porsche land, you pay a big premium for the chassis, steering, and driving feel that comes with the brand. My Panamera GTS was more expensive than an M5, but nowhere near as fast. But it has compensating advantages. :)

Back to the Taycan: I took another RWD for a spin as a sanity-check, and remain equally impressed. At highway speeds, it’s seriously fast. And the handling is ridiculous - a world beyond any Tesla. It feels worth the price to me.
I had originally backed out from my order. They called me 2 days ago reducing ADM from 10k to 2.5K. I love my order it has 18 way and air suspension, black on red. My lease is up in 3 weeks and the car is 2 weeks away, i think ill go for it. I kept an eye out for used cars and just couldnt find a car I like. Plus, theres nothing like a new car to me.

Ill be at the dealer today to drive a RWD model and give my 100% commitment. I was really hoping to jump into a 4S, however i just couldnt find the right car for the right price.

OP
OP

Irish Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche GT3; 2022 Porsche Panamera GTS
Country flag
I had originally backed out from my order. They called me 2 days ago reducing ADM from 10k to 2.5K. I love my order it has 18 way and air suspension, black on red. My lease is up in 3 weeks and the car is 2 weeks away, i think ill go for it. I kept an eye out for used cars and just couldnt find a car I like. Plus, theres nothing like a new car to me.

Ill be at the dealer today to drive a RWD model and give my 100% commitment. I was really hoping to jump into a 4S, however i just couldnt find the right car for the right price.
Let us know how you like the RWD after you drive it today!

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I currently have a loaner RWD ST and I am all impressed with the performance compared to my CT4. Funny fact is that when looking at the power meeter in the center dash, accelerating from 40-80kmh there's a noticeable increase in power applied after ~60 (seen in the power meter) and felt in the bum. This all but confirms that Porsche is hindering the RWD performance for dumb marketing reasons. I'd be well interested in RWD with 4S performance.

In the RWD and compared to the CT4, the front-end is noticeably lighter and more responsive while the car will tolerate some moderate tail drift in PSM sport mode. The CT4 is unflappable comparatively, which to me is a negative for fun factor.

I'll be going to the snowy mountains this weekend and will get to test RWD only traction on slippery roads. If it's anything like the 911 RWD traction then they're onto a winner

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I have a RWD. When I use launch control on a slippery road, I get no wheel spin up to 50 km/u and then there is a window between 50-80 km/h with a bit of wheel spin.
I assume, pure physically that is not logic. Wheel spin should be most at lowest speeds. Especially with an electric motor.

I assume this is explained by the Porsche marketing trick to reduce performance at low speeds in the RWD.

They should at least prove the option to unlock it as a payable 'function of the air' update.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I have a RWD. When I use launch control on a slippery road, I get no wheel spin up to 50 km/u and then there is a window between 50-80 km/h with a bit of wheel spin.
I assume, pure physically that is not logic. Wheel spin should be most at lowest speeds. Especially with an electric motor.

I assume this is explained by the Porsche marketing trick to reduce performance at low speeds in the RWD.

They should at least prove the option to unlock it as a payable 'function of the air' update.
that's my experience with the loaner, a sudden surge of power after ~60km/h. Porsche will never unlock this power, they rather you order a whole new car. These marketing shenanigans are however where tuners need to step in and remove the deliberate hindering at low speeds and allow for full power from any speed.

While they are at it, they should also allow for launch control power to be available from speeds other than standstill, even if for no longer than 3-5 sec, just like launch control.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
that's my experience with the loaner, a sudden surge of power after ~60km/h. Porsche will never unlock this power, they rather you order a whole new car. These marketing shenanigans are however where tuners need to step in and remove the deliberate hindering at low speeds and allow for full power from any speed.

While they are at it, they should also allow for launch control power to be available from speeds other than standstill, even if for no longer than 3-5 sec, just like launch control.
Yes indeed. I assume many customers would be willing to pay for a better way to activate the launch control.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
That is exactly the point. Unpredictable and uncontrolled oversteer happens more easily with RWD than with AWD and that's the reason why AWD is safer than RWD. ;)
It is only unpredictable or uncontrolled if you are an incompetent driver AND have turned the vehicle stability control off.
Then you are an unsafe driver.

Bao1303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT 4S, BMW X5 45e, various bikes
Country flag
Interesting with the 0-60 focus. Have been driving high perf. Bikes for the last 30 years (ouch) my main 2018 model has 220+ crank HP, while my 97 model old lady has something like 130. The latter is good for sub 3 seconds, and I can actually do it. The main I cant get below mid 3s if my life depended on it, mostly around 4 - just too much power and Im not good enough. So my CT4s would probably beat me 7 out of 10. It does finish the quarter mile at +250km/h and does 0-200 in mid 7 so once rolling things are a bit different... Maybe slightly off topic but at the end of the day performance and thrills are more than off the line acceleration. Btw: the old girl is far more thrilling than the twice more powerful one at half the speed, guess Ill keep her and get rid of the new one, same fun at half the risk, besides - dont look so good in leathers anymore...

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
kind of crazy how the entry Taycan is too “slow” but faster than about 90% of the cars on the road lol.

AWD is not a must with how heavy this car is but if your in a certain region it makes sense.
the rwd is slow compared to todays standards. Pretty much most hot hatches would beat it, most BMWs even SUV’s now have a 0-60 as quick or quicker. Id be pissed dropping that much on a Porsche for it to be slower than a bmw diesel

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
the rwd is compared to todays standards. Pretty much most hot hatches would beat it, most BMWs even SUV’s now have a 0-60 as quick or quicker. Od be pissed dropping that much on a Porsche for it to be slower than a bmw diesel
Not sure if serious. Gotta be trollin 🤣