Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
It’s not slow compared to a 40k KIA, but it is slow for a 100k+ car.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
AWD is not a must with how heavy this car is but if your in a certain region it makes sense.
AWD has never been needed where I live, so I have never bothered - not worth the weight. But with regenerative braking I liked the idea of AWD for all wheel braking so didn't stick to my 50 year experience of only 2WD cars.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
It's often said that the Porsche deliberately restrict the performance of the base Taycan so as to not encroach on the 4S, deduced from the much larger difference between the variants in acceleration from a standing start than there is once rolling at around 30mph. Surely the fact that the base is the only variant without the benefit of AWD is a major factor in that?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
PCCBs (I’ve managed to melt quite a few steel sets),
You know the Taycan barely uses the disc brakes? I suspect you'll be doing well to wear them out over the life of the car, let alone melt them. Though there have been a few reports of Porsche wanting to change them at 1st service and then back-peddling....

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
A 4s performance Plus was the best I could afford (or a standard GTS) it’s sprint capable, but not super duper crazy insane fast like the Turbo S.
I agree, with “normal” daily driving habits, barely touching the pedals, while commuting or with family it’s all very close.

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
You know the Taycan barely uses the disc brakes? I suspect you'll be doing well to wear them out over the life of the car, let alone melt them. Though there have been a few reports of Porsche wanting to change them at 1st service and then back-peddling....
Not barely, as it turns out, especially at higher speeds. Braking hard from 200kmh is quite an event for regular steel brakes.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Not barely, as it turns out, especially at higher speeds. Braking hard from 200kmh is quite an event for regular steel brakes.
Firstly they are cast iron, not steel. A common mistake but steel isn’t a good material for brakes.

We went to Carbon composite brakes in Formula 1 in the early 1980s, I was the engineer involved in running the development materials on our car.
The fact is the composite brakes gain by being lighter rather than better braking, in fact it took years and huge investment to make composite brakes close to as consistent as cast iron and even now the performance gain on a F1 car is weight not braking performance.

I chose cast iron brakes based on decades of engineering experience on Formula 1 braking systems. I was not prepared to pay extra for a weight reduction on a car weighing more than 2 tonnes which does a substantial proportion of its braking using its electric motors.

I know composite brakes can be a bit better in some temperature ranges, and for a track car they make sense but I shan’t use a heavy car for a fun track day, personally.

Last edited:

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
We went to Carbon composite brakes in Formula 1 in the early 1980s, I was one of the engineers involved in running the development materials on our car.
The fact is the composite brakes gain by being lighter rather than better braking, in fact it took years and huge investment to make composite brakes close to as consistent as cast iron and even now the performance gain on a F1 car is weight not braking performance.

I chose cast iron brakes based on decades of engineering experience on Formula 1 braking systems. I was not prepared to pay extra for a weight reduction on a car weighing more than 2 tonnes which does a substantial proportion of its braking using its electric motors.
Completly offtopic, but I love these little anekdotes, haha. Makes me feel like such a young fish :CWL: .

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
Firstly they are cast iron, not steel. A common mistake but steel isn’t a good material for brakes.

We went to Carbon composite brakes in Formula 1 in the early 1980s, I was one of the engineers involved in running the development materials on our car.

I know composite brakes can be a bit better in some temperature ranges, and for a track car they make sense but I shan’t use a heavy car for a fun track day, personally.
Pardon my ignorance then :D I’m often on high speed roads and braking is a big deal for me. Carbon Ceramics (at least what I felt) don’t fade as quickly as cast iron brakes do, they maintain their performance and consistency for much longer after a few hard braking events, not to mention the looks of that 420mm caliper

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
composite brakes close to as consistent as cast iron and even now the performance gain on a F1 car is weight not braking performance.
Everyone knows the primary purpose of the composite brakes on a Taycan is cosmetic. I'm fine with that!

Porsche Taycan The Base Taycan is a gem... drove it and was blown away {filename}

Last edited:

Emokeff88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
All Taycans reach the same speed in DC traffic lol. The RWD is the perfect car for that environment. I'm in the same situation in the Virginia Beach area, there's zero need for anything faster than the RWD. I originally walked into Porsche wanting a 4S and test drove the RWD and placed an order. I routinely find myself in situations being glad I didn't spend the extra money in a 4S or Turbo as I'd never use the power...it's all situational

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
If you’re getting brake fade from driving on a public road, then your driving style must be seriously dangerous…!
Not really, I enjoy occasional track days with my fellow Porsche companions

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
I've had my RWD for 15 months now and fully understand the OP's view. Coming from that wonderful howling GT3 engine, that a real compliment. Coming from a 964 Carerra 4, the base car was always going to be different but it's still drives like a Porsche and I think having 2 driven wheels adds to this. I drove the 4S and it's definitely faster, but feels very different especially in corners. Doesn't have the same rear-bias, which I much prefer.

To those who love 0-60 times, I get it. But the base Taycan is as fast 0-60 and the base 997 was when it came out. And that was one of the fastest things on the road back then.
Sponsored