First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
But that's just looking at 0-60.

I suppose a lot depends on the roads where you live?

If you are overly keen on drag racing at the lights (not typical S Class driving?) it's a strange metric to judge a performance car. Certainly where I live.

Real world driving - on the move with actual bends in the road - is where the RWD excels.
Lighter front end and sharper steering / handling its excellent.....although I still wish it was smaller and lighter.

It offers a very different drive to an S Class. Chalk and cheese.

And if drag racing is your thing, shouldn't the 1/4 mile times be more relevant? Where the RWD and 4S are far more close.
Sponsored

FLT6LVR

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 911S
Country flag
Glad that folks are happy with the RWD car too. Having driven it with and without air suspension I have noticed zero handling benefit vs the AWD. IMO there is no difference in the steering - its a 5000Lb car with electric steering not a 911 lol. That said if the delusion keeps you happy stick with it.

I own a 4S and delude myself it's all I will ever need ! That said I have zero qualms admitting that the Turbo and Turbo S are even better than the 4S. Same story for the GTS I'm sure but I haven't driven one yet. All Taycans are awesome and we are fortunate to own them.

Cheers,
F6L

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Power is integral to my enjoyment of sport sedans. I just couldn't do the base model. An old S-Class will hustle quicker than that, and make glorious noises all the while. I expect a brand new EV sport sedan costing $100k to do a lot better than 5 seconds.
You have to be trolling 😂

tomahawkBE

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Power is integral to my enjoyment of sport sedans. I just couldn't do the base model. An old S-Class will hustle quicker than that, and make glorious noises all the while. I expect a brand new EV sport sedan costing $100k to do a lot better than 5 seconds.
A test on youtube showed the Taycan 4 CT could do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds so that’s already faster than 5 seconds there. Even more interesting is that there is very little difference if you would look at speeding up while driving between the 4 and 4S. Definitely not a big difference there that could justify the price difference.

That said if you have plenty of money and you can easily spent it on a higher model I can understand perfectly fine that you would opt for it. For me a base (or with limited options) 4S isn’t a better choice than a beautifully equipped 4 (inside and outside).

The 0-60 speed is fun but I don’t drive around like that to be honest so the value is limited. Give me a 3sec car and let me do a number of 0-60’s and I go into barf mode.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Having driven it with and without air suspension I have noticed zero handling benefit vs the AWD
What that tells me is that you are probably not a very skilled driver so I shan’t be taking any notice of your opinion about driving aspects of a car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It's often said that the Porsche deliberately restrict the performance of the base Taycan so as to not encroach on the 4S, deduced from the much larger difference between the variants in acceleration from a standing start than there is once rolling at around 30mph. Surely the fact that the base is the only variant without the benefit of AWD is a major factor in that?
What is rarely discussed is the importance of grip limit on acceleration.
In reality the initial acceleration of a car with surplus power is determined by tyre grip and how close to the optimum tyre slip ratio the traction control system achieves until the power is the limit rather than tyre grip.

It is possible that the lower initial acceleration of the base Taycan is a 2WD traction limit, not restricted performance, though it could be either, of course.

My 2WD Ferrari with around 380bhp on Pirelli P zeros has no driver aids at all and it is completely incapable of full throttle acceleration from a standstill, it gets uncontrolled wheel spin. I have tried it on track…
It relies on my (limited) driving skill in both first and second gears to control % slip straight ahead.

I also note that most road testers get better acceleration figures than Porsche’s published ones but most road test cars have bigger tyre options than standard which may well mean the limit on 0-60 times is to a great extent traction as much as power.

Emokeff88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
Except in heavy snow, when AWD Taycans on winter tires go a little faster while leaving the rest on the side of the road? ;)
I was referring to traffic but ok and who drives their RWD Taycan in snow? Drive the other cars 😉

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Real world driving - on the move with actual bends in the road - is where the RWD excels.
RWD 80-120 km/h 2.7s
4S 80-120 km/h 2,3s

I'm sure the motor power delivery on the RWD is software limited and 20hp less, otherwise it'll be too close to 4S and more fun to drive.

OP
OP

Irish Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche GT3; 2022 Porsche Panamera GTS
Country flag
You’ll recall my comment that, at speed, the Taycan RWD felt like it pulled about as hard as my 473 hp Panamera GTS. I wanted to sanity-check that impression and looked into some instrument testing. Lo and behold:

The base Taycan has a trap speed of 115 in the quarter mile. That’s seriously fast, especially in light of the modest 0-60 time. The Panamera GTS hits 116 in the quarter, despite launching much harder (indeed, harder than the Taycan 4S to 60). Only 1 mph in it!

I think this puts to rest the question whether the RWD Taycan has enough punch once at speed. At highway speeds, it’s a seriously fast car. Again, I’m not saying that it isn’t worth going higher up the food chain in pursuit of even greater speed, but to me the RWD looks like unbeatable value.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37853137/2021-porsche-taycan-pbp-by-the-numbers/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36613246/2021-porsche-panamera-gts-by-the-numbers/

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
To me, the base, 4S, Turbo, and Turbo S are best described as: quick, fast, really fast, and stupid fast.
Unless you are ONLY comparing launch control the Turbo and Turbo S are the same exact thing in 99% of normal driving. So aside from the one trick (LC mode) the two are the same car (and can be optioned the same as well)
Sponsored