OP
OP

Irish Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche GT3; 2022 Porsche Panamera GTS
Country flag
Guys, been a couple days of driving both the rwd and 4s one after another thought i would do a part 2. My RWD order is about to arrive in 2 weeks max and im having serious doubts.

I now feel like the regular Taycan is a "decent" accelerating car, and perhaps within 1-2 months I would really get bored of it. Yes i know it drives fantastic and with a gt3 in the garage i feel strongly ill be making a mistake with a RWD. I believe the 4s is the sweet spot for the Taycan. Its becoming a real challenge finding a new/used(specced right) 4s. It just pains me to pay 115k for such a slow car i think thats my biggest dilemma here.

Still trying to figure this out, dont want to make a decision ill regret.
If you’re in doubt, wait and get the faster model. Otherwise you’ll just upgrade in a year or two and lose a bunch on the trade. As you all know, I love the RWD. But that’s not to deny the thrill of on-tap power.

You’ve driven the base and 4S back-to-back a bunch. If you’re already worrying about lack of power, don’t settle. I think the GT3 will keep me happy on the power front, but I could see how that drive could make more prosaic speed feel uninspiring.

Let us know your choice! Good luck, :)
Sponsored

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
Guys, been a couple days of driving both the rwd and 4s one after another thought i would do a part 2. My RWD order is about to arrive in 2 weeks max and im having serious doubts.

I now feel like the regular Taycan is a "decent" accelerating car, and perhaps within 1-2 months I would really get bored of it. Yes i know it drives fantastic and with a gt3 in the garage i feel strongly ill be making a mistake with a RWD. I believe the 4s is the sweet spot for the Taycan. Its becoming a real challenge finding a new/used(specced right) 4s. It just pains me to pay 115k for such a slow car i think thats my biggest dilemma here.

Agree with the OP on this. I think it is a personal choice. Seems to have a lot to do with what you want out of the car and what you are used to.

FLT6LVR

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 911S
Country flag

Go for a faster model. If you're having doubts they will only be amplified later. Automotive performance just keeps getting better and better. EVs are so fast that a >5 second 0-60 is inexcusably slow IMO. Yes there are many other delights in the Taycan but as a GT3 owner you probably apprerciate the performance. I understand how you feel and can't fathom spending that money on a new car that's about as fast as my 350z from 0-60 (getting ready for antique plates). Of course the Taycan is indisputably better in every other objective way though!

F6L

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Go fast or go home. Seriously, if budget allows go faster, it’s a 30k€ itch, the question being if you’re willing to spend it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

If your main interest is straight line full throttle acceleration then gat a more powerful one.

If you enjoy the styling, comfort, steering feel and handling and rarely use full throttle for long you get 100% of the Taycan experience for a "bargain" price with the RWD.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Oh the irony that we live in a world where 0-60mph in ~4.8 seconds is considered slow

Taycan2023y

First Name
Sandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have attached the comparative data for the taycan rwd against other models (information is from Porsche Australian website)
Porsche Taycan The Base Taycan is a gem... drove it and was blown away Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 6.34.49 pm.PNG

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
For those in snowy / icy climates, how does the RWD perform in these conditions (without winter tyres) compared to the AWD / average RWD ICE car (say a 3 series) ?
Only asking as on a rare day when I might need to drive in these conditions, just wondering whether to take the Taycan or not?
I can maybe answer this question. I just came back from a skiing holiday in the alps and I was a bit worried going with a RWD for the first time.

I can confirm what many people wrote already in this forum and elsewhere on the internet: Winter tyres are more important than AWD.

The Taycan-RWD + winter tyres was less good than my landrover-AWD + winter tyres, but better than my landrover-AWD + all-season tyres.
And more importantly: It was good enough. I drove on very snowy and icy roads and parking lots. Felt a bit of wheel spin sometimes, but never had any real traction, steering or braking issues.
I think that the Taycan-RWD+ winter tyres is fine if you only have a few weeks of snow per year. No need to worry about it.

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag

100% go for the 4s or you’ll just be wishing you did. I went for the gts as I felt a needed that little more than the 4s

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
100% go for the 4s or you’ll just be wishing you did. I went for the gts as I felt a needed that little more than the 4s
In acceleration terms the GTS really is only a little bit faster than a 4S for quite a lot more money, unless you want the other GTS features, which are substantial the GTS has pretty well the smallest performance increment for a large price increment in the Taycan lineup.

I can see why people fancy a GTS, there are a lot of compelling reasons, but performance over a 4S isn't big.

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
In acceleration terms the GTS really is only a little bit faster than a 4S for quite a lot more money, unless you want the other GTS features, which are substantial the GTS has pretty well the smallest performance increment for a large price increment in the Taycan lineup.

I can see why people fancy a GTS, there are a lot of compelling reasons, but performance over a 4S isn't big.
me for it was fairly noticeable after driving them back to back, I felt it just had more pull upto 100 and impressed me more, especially enough to warranty the extra £80 a month.

gt3dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 GT3, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hey guys,

Thought i would circle back to this thread with an update. After some serious consideration(on my mind daily) as my ordered RWD is days away from coming I decided to go for a Taycan GTS in chalk/full red leather with tech ,premium, massage seats(LOVE THESE), 14 way seats, variable pano roof and some more stuff. Nice build right around 160k. From my last drive of the rwd and 4s, i realized i didnt want 18 way seats anymore and a black taycan wasnt sitting well with me eithier, not sure why the change of heart but i feel like it hides the cars lines(on my order). I went back and forth and just couldnt justify spending 115k for a rwd taycan considering its performance. Thats no smack to the RWD, i just thought it wasnt for me. Ive been down this road once before and absolutely hated/regretted my purchase with another brand, car lasted 3 months and it was gone. I knew same thing would happen again.

Eventhough ive never driven a GTS model im very excited for it to arrive(10 days). Im imagining a more sportier 4s model. Ive come to realize chalk is such a stunning color for the Taycan or maybe im just bias as my gt3 is chalk as well. I look forward to giving another review once the car arrives.

Cheers!

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Yup! It’s good fun. I’ve just charged mine again, want to do a few runs with my 20” Turbo wheels before I switch to 21” RS Spyder Satin Blacks next Tuesday.
Are there any issues switching wheels? I’m thinking of switching from 21” spiders to 19” for practical reasons. Is just a question of changing wheels or does the software need updating ?