Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Understood.
#happy wife, happy life :giggle:
Sponsored

Deleted member 6348

Well as the OP I'll admit some jealousy to seeing so many 911 owners able to hold on to their dream car while also acquiring the Taycan. You know how lucky you are!
I feel lucky that I got to drive my 992C4S for 2.5years and more than 35k miles for free. I could have held onto it, but I also knew that the values wouldn’t fly that high forever.

I have an Alfa 4C Spider when I need to drive something fast, light, noisy, and open air.

Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan 00A39EC9-1E1E-43E3-88A3-E3FDE015BEAA

Ryun43

First Name
Ryun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S...991.2 GT3 Touring
Country flag
Put me in the both at the same time category.
Cant say one would "replace" other. My gt3 touring is a manual NA spinning to 9k. Its racous, quirky and completely engaging. The Taycan is much more digital surgical experience : faster, quiet, efficient etc.
Could I daily the gt3? Kind of
Could the taycan be as much fun on back roads? mostly
But still different. I think the 911 is still the most usable sports car out there and the Taycan is the sportiest ev out there while doing a tremendous job hiding its weight. so it really depends on which core competency youd like.

Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan UMWkMkOh

Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan FfPfMlXh

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Put me in the both at the same time category.
Cant say one would "replace" other. My gt3 touring is a manual NA spinning to 9k. Its racous, quirky and completely engaging. The Taycan is much more digital surgical experience : faster, quiet, efficient etc.
Could I daily the gt3? Kind of
Could the taycan be as much fun on back roads? mostly
But still different. I think the 911 is still the most usable sports car out there and the Taycan is the sportiest ev out there while doing a tremendous job hiding its weight. so it really depends on which core competency youd like.

UMWkMkOh.jpg

FfPfMlXh.jpg
Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan 03AD42D2-D301-4152-B358-2E97044C36A2

Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan E654721E-CE53-4F64-8420-A4FD0C24DB32

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I have a 2003 911 HT which I love and have just over 1,000 mi. on my new Taycan. It may just be the cockpit but I do feel that the Taycan was designed with the 911 in mind. I agree with much of the posters' comments. I don't think he mentioned the incredible manner in which the Taycan holds the road. My guess is that as I get more familiar with the car, the more 911-like it will feel to drive. If not, it's OK with me. The car is a great design (think Porsche) with no comparisons required IMO. That said, if you want a 911, buy one. They are beautiful.

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
One thing that has NOT changed is that every BMW 3-series that comes along on the freeway is determined to race me.
I'm with you here. My Taycan (on order) is replacing my Audi R8. One of the "niceties" of the R8 was that sooo many other drivers felt compelled to prove that they could keep up with it ... It got tiring. I guess I need to brace myself for this to continue when the Taycan arrives ...

Reminds me of the Henry King's 1950 film "The Gunfighter." Everyone just had to try to take Gregory Peck's "retired' gunfighter character on to prove something ... *sigh.

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
Brace yourself, no - they will be left in the dust! :like: My 2020 R8 V10 RIP. Have never had so many issues with rattles, electronic glitches etc, just horrible. Constantly in the shop. Big disappointment. My 2020 Taycan, and now my 2022 is far exceeding expectations. You just can't trade that electric drive train for anything, and if they want to race you, let them. They will loose. LOL

Joe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Porsche magazine Christophorus (#400), shows a red 356 and neptune blue Taycan on the cover (like mine!), as if the Taycan is destined for iconic status just like its predecessors. The fact its so hard to obtain a Taycan today doesn't hurt that potential.

I've seen many 911 owners struggle with the decision to make the leap to the Taycan and seeking opinions from this forum. I decided to share my thoughts here for the benefit of those seeking such feedback. Inevitably, there will be people that will vehemently disagree with me on some points. That is the nature of these forums. Bring it on.

I drove a 996 911S Cabriolet for 12 years and have had my Taycan RWD for a few months. That 911 was like my child, although at night when I was sleeping I was convinced it was plotting to kill me. There will be several owners of more powerful models of both cars reading this post. Go ahead and remind me how much more powerful your car is compared to mine. At the end of the day, you can definitely catch up to traffic faster than me, and I am sure I would have loved your car as much as you do. Otherwise I believe my comparisons will be valid irrespective of the model.

1. Starting with the obvious, the only thing these cars have in common is the Porsche DNA and heritage. From there on, they are completely different vehicles offering a vastly different driving experience.

2. Most different for me is the feel of the road. I felt my 911S was an extension of my right arm. I felt connected to the road. With the engine in back I felt I was the tip of a spear. In my Taycan, I feel I am navigating a sailboat (which I do often, so the analogy fits for me). I have the air suspension in my Taycan which contributes to that "floating" feeling.

3. The growl of the 911 engine is replaced by the serenity of no sound at all. To me, this is a mixed bag. The visceral feeling of the 911 is replaced by something that is not visceral, but still virtuous.

4. My 911 was not practical for bumper to bumper driving or long distances. It would grow tiresome to deal with the manual transmission in those situations, and my back would start to ache. Driving to LA from my home in San Diego would be a nightmare in that car, vs quite comfortable in the Taycan.

5. Both cars offer an immersive experience, but for different reasons. In the 911, its you against the world. You are given the controls to a high performance machine that can escape any threat, outrun most competitors, and make you feel totally in control. The Taycan is immersive but for all the wrong reasons, IMHO. I find myself constantly tinkering with the infinite displays of real time data. I am lifting the suspension, changing the views on the tubes, clicking here and there, none of which impacts the driving experience and is frankly a bit dangerous. I am a kid with a new toy. I need to stop tinkering and hopefully will find the willpower to do so.

6. In my 911, I could never engage in a phone call with my upgraded stereo and phone integration because the ambient noise was too distracting. I was always jealous of other car owners that could talk on their car phones. Now, I am in that group.

7. I was never completely satisfied with how my 911S performed from a full stop. This is one area where the more powerful 911's may have had an advantage. But as more and more EVs dominated our area, I found my 911 lacking. No such concerns at speed, where both the 911S and Taycan pass traffic as if they are standing still.

8. Somewhat redundant but worth pointing out that there have been head-to-head comparisons of these cars on a track where the Taycan beat the 911. I personally took my 911S out on a winding road and taped it for a live auction, then took the Taycan on the exact same road once I took delivery. Consistent with everything above, the Taycan performed better but, ironically, the 911 was more fun. Nothing replaces the heart-pounding feeling of downshifting through a hairpin turn.

9. My 911 was a convertible. I've always had a convertible. I miss my convertible.

10. What I don't miss is having to pay for gas. Or fluids. Or belts. Or tune ups and oil changes. Game changer!

One thing that has NOT changed is that every BMW 3-series that comes along on the freeway is determined to race me.

I could probably go on but this is a good place to take pause and to see if this gets any traction with others that may wish to add their own thoughts (or vehement denials).

I considered adding points for each of the above and seeing which wins out. But that simply implies the decision of 911 vs Taycan is mutually exclusive and in reality, you need to experience BOTH in your lifetime. The Taycan came along at the right time in my life, where at 62 yo I am more interested in comfort and convenience than the thrill of cars I drove before this sexy femme fatale came along. While I clearly miss my 911, I do LOVE my Taycan - almost as much. Give us a bit more time to get to know each other, and we will be inseparable. I put her to bed a short while ago - critically, I don't think she is planning to kill me.

BTW I am a professional writer and if you enjoy my writing please check out my first novel at www.tinyurl.com/the-consequence
I had my Taycan 4S for 2 years now. Two days ago, the dealer offered me a 992 GTS cabriolet slot. I said yes, October delivery (2 months left to change my mind), but I haven’t slept since 🙈 Taycan 4S or 992 GTS cabriolet?

Porsche Taycan The Iconic 911 vs The (future-iconic) Taycan 07F96D72-9CC6-403F-B87E-BB0D1B2BB9A5

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I had my Taycan 4S for 2 years now. Two days ago, the dealer offered me a 992 GTS cabriolet slot. I said yes, October delivery (2 months left to change my mind), but I haven’t slept since 🙈 Taycan 4S or 992 GTS cabriolet?

07F96D72-9CC6-403F-B87E-BB0D1B2BB9A5.jpeg
Check the price of premium gas in your area, then let me know what you decide.

Joe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Check the price of premium gas in your area, then let me know what you decide.
Good point. The thing is, I absolutely love my Taycan, but this car is not really an ultra sports car and is not exactly a super comfortable family car if you have kids in car seats. So I’m thinking changing to the 992 for the daily work commute and any pleasure solo trips (100-200 miles per month) and a Rivian R1S for the family rides, and daily errands, etc… (1000-1500 miles per month); so gas is not really an issue with the heavy load remaining on an EV.
The big reason however I find this decision difficult is that I will be paying $70k to move to the 992 (+$75k for the Rivian) and I’m not sure if the difference between 992 vs Taycan experience is worth $70k… The other thing is, especially for those who are considering owning a Taycan as the main family car for daily errands and toddlers’ abuse, the Taycan’s interior build is not on par with other Porsche models; given the heavy weight of the batteries, the Taycan has plenty of plastic inside that tends to become lose with kids jumping in and out of the car and kicking random places at the back (the plastic observation was confirmed by the Porsche dealer).

BigV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S, MacanS, Tesla M3
Country flag
The Porsche magazine Christophorus (#400), shows a red 356 and neptune blue Taycan on the cover (like mine!), as if the Taycan is destined for iconic status just like its predecessors. The fact its so hard to obtain a Taycan today doesn't hurt that potential.

I've seen many 911 owners struggle with the decision to make the leap to the Taycan and seeking opinions from this forum. I decided to share my thoughts here for the benefit of those seeking such feedback. Inevitably, there will be people that will vehemently disagree with me on some points. That is the nature of these forums. Bring it on.

I drove a 996 911S Cabriolet for 12 years and have had my Taycan RWD for a few months. That 911 was like my child, although at night when I was sleeping I was convinced it was plotting to kill me. There will be several owners of more powerful models of both cars reading this post. Go ahead and remind me how much more powerful your car is compared to mine. At the end of the day, you can definitely catch up to traffic faster than me, and I am sure I would have loved your car as much as you do. Otherwise I believe my comparisons will be valid irrespective of the model.

1. Starting with the obvious, the only thing these cars have in common is the Porsche DNA and heritage. From there on, they are completely different vehicles offering a vastly different driving experience.

2. Most different for me is the feel of the road. I felt my 911S was an extension of my right arm. I felt connected to the road. With the engine in back I felt I was the tip of a spear. In my Taycan, I feel I am navigating a sailboat (which I do often, so the analogy fits for me). I have the air suspension in my Taycan which contributes to that "floating" feeling.

3. The growl of the 911 engine is replaced by the serenity of no sound at all. To me, this is a mixed bag. The visceral feeling of the 911 is replaced by something that is not visceral, but still virtuous.

4. My 911 was not practical for bumper to bumper driving or long distances. It would grow tiresome to deal with the manual transmission in those situations, and my back would start to ache. Driving to LA from my home in San Diego would be a nightmare in that car, vs quite comfortable in the Taycan.

5. Both cars offer an immersive experience, but for different reasons. In the 911, its you against the world. You are given the controls to a high performance machine that can escape any threat, outrun most competitors, and make you feel totally in control. The Taycan is immersive but for all the wrong reasons, IMHO. I find myself constantly tinkering with the infinite displays of real time data. I am lifting the suspension, changing the views on the tubes, clicking here and there, none of which impacts the driving experience and is frankly a bit dangerous. I am a kid with a new toy. I need to stop tinkering and hopefully will find the willpower to do so.

6. In my 911, I could never engage in a phone call with my upgraded stereo and phone integration because the ambient noise was too distracting. I was always jealous of other car owners that could talk on their car phones. Now, I am in that group.

7. I was never completely satisfied with how my 911S performed from a full stop. This is one area where the more powerful 911's may have had an advantage. But as more and more EVs dominated our area, I found my 911 lacking. No such concerns at speed, where both the 911S and Taycan pass traffic as if they are standing still.

8. Somewhat redundant but worth pointing out that there have been head-to-head comparisons of these cars on a track where the Taycan beat the 911. I personally took my 911S out on a winding road and taped it for a live auction, then took the Taycan on the exact same road once I took delivery. Consistent with everything above, the Taycan performed better but, ironically, the 911 was more fun. Nothing replaces the heart-pounding feeling of downshifting through a hairpin turn.

9. My 911 was a convertible. I've always had a convertible. I miss my convertible.

10. What I don't miss is having to pay for gas. Or fluids. Or belts. Or tune ups and oil changes. Game changer!

I could probably go on but this is a good place to take pause and to see if this gets any traction with others that may wish to add their own thoughts (or vehement denials).

I considered adding points for each of the above and seeing which wins out. But that simply implies the decision of 911 vs Taycan is mutually exclusive and in reality, you need to experience BOTH in your lifetime. The Taycan came along at the right time in my life, where at 62 yo I am more interested in comfort and convenience than the thrill of cars I drove before this sexy femme fatale came along. While I clearly miss my 911, I do LOVE my Taycan - almost as much. Give us a bit more time to get to know each other, and we will be inseparable. I put her to bed a short while ago - critically, I don't think she is planning to kill me.

BTW I am a professional writer and if you enjoy my writing please check out my first novel at www.tinyurl.com/the-consequence
Well said! I have a 911S, and I’m going through a similar separation anxiety. However, I do think the Taycan GTS will be a dealbreaker. I do like the fact I can still have performance, but my ears aren’t ringing after a 7-hour road trip. Just hope they can install more EA chargers in the Southwest in the near future.
Sponsored