The mystery of the Acoustic Simulator module - what the hell does this do??

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
So for context, when I ordered my car and the build was complete out of the factory, I was able to look up the VIN and see there were a couple minor missing components thanks to the global parts shortage:

Porsche Taycan The mystery of the Acoustic Simulator module - what the hell does this do?? TaycanCT4Smissing parts

Fortunately neither components (phone charging pad or acoustic Simulator module) would affect delivery of my car or result in a stop sale. However I wondered what the Acoustic Simulator module was and best guess it had to do with controlling the Sport Sound (which I optioned) so I thought worst case my Sport Sound wouldn't work properly when I took delivery. Again no big deal I guess.

But when I did take delivery, my Sport Sound seemed to work normally which only raised more questions what the purpose of the missing Acoustic component was for. Then eventually I was able to get both missing components retrofit at a local dealership service dept and....still no real difference with the Electronic Sport Sound or any other obvious sound related function in my car.

So the mystery only continues to deepen what the heck the Acoustic Simulator Module actually does 🤔
Sponsored

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
So for context, when I ordered my car and the build was complete out of the factory, I was able to look up the VIN and see there were a couple minor missing components thanks to the global parts shortage:

TaycanCT4Smissing parts.jpg

Fortunately neither components (phone charging pad or acoustic Simulator module) would affect delivery of my car or result in a stop sale. However I wondered what the Acoustic Simulator module was and best guess it had to do with controlling the Sport Sound (which I optioned) so I thought worst case my Sport Sound wouldn't work properly when I took delivery. Again no big deal I guess.

But when I did take delivery, my Sport Sound seemed to work normally which only raised more questions what the purpose of the missing Acoustic component was for. Then eventually I was able to get both missing components retrofit at a local dealership service dept and....still no real difference with the Electronic Sport Sound or any other obvious sound related function in my car.

So the mystery only continues to deepen what the heck the Acoustic Simulator Module actually does 🤔
Could it be the external noise?

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could it be the external noise?
Good guess but even before the retrofit, the car had external noise as well? Maybe it's now a little louder? It's not obviously so and without some objective way to measure the sound levels before and after I have no way to prove it scientifically. 🤔

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
See the NHTSA doc for WMG6. It’s the electric sport sound generation for the interior.
Most likely what you were hearing before the retrofit, was the actual sound of the car without supplemental audio, or that plus whatever additional sound that gets piped externally for warning pedestrians.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
See the NHTSA doc for WMG6. It’s the electric sport sound generation for the interior.
Most likely what you were hearing before the retrofit, was the actual sound of the car without supplemental audio, or that plus whatever additional sound that gets piped externally for warning pedestrians.
Unfortunately while what you're saying SHOULD be correct, I had a few months to drive this car before I could get the retrofit done, I was getting internal sound piped in thru the internal speakers like you described AND external sound confirmed by people outside of the car.

I cannot tell any real difference in either inside or out after the retrofit was done. So clearly I'm missing something.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Unfortunately while what you're saying SHOULD be correct, I had a few months to drive this car before I could get the retrofit done, I was getting internal sound piped in thru the internal speakers like you described AND external sound confirmed by people outside of the car.

I cannot tell any real difference in either inside or out after the retrofit was done. So clearly I'm missing something.
Sport Sound only works if you put the car in Sport/Sport Plus mode or turn it on through the menus. Have you tested with these settings?

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sport Sound only works if you put the car in Sport/Sport Plus mode or turn it on through the menus. Have you tested with these settings?
That's not true, even prior to the retrofit I could manually activate Sport Sound in Range or Normal mode on the main infotainment screen. I mapped the function to the programmable diamond button on my steering wheel and could turn it on in non Sport/Sport Plus mode prior to the retrofit.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
That's not true, even prior to the retrofit I could manually activate Sport Sound in Range or Normal mode on the main infotainment screen. I mapped the function to the programmable diamond button on my steering wheel and could turn it on in non Sport/Sport Plus mode prior to the retrofit.
That’s what I meant when I said “or turn it on through the menus”. 😛

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Might it be that you were missing one of the outside speakers? There are speakers both front and rear. This would then explain why you experienced the sportsound both before and after they installed the missing component.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Might it be that you were missing one of the outside speakers? There are speakers both front and rear. This would then explain why you experienced the sportsound both before and after they installed the missing component.
That is possible. I really don't know what is all the hardware involved in Sport Sound production and sound system.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
That is possible. I really don't know what is all the hardware involved in Sport Sound production and sound system.
External speakers in the front and rear, as well as a pair of speakers in the rear doors for internal sound. And a dedicated amplifier for these four speakers, that seems to be installed in the passenger side of the trunk.

EDIT: Found a picture to illustrate.

Porsche Taycan The mystery of the Acoustic Simulator module - what the hell does this do?? e08dfd3e769a5b6660f92f648c8fe842

NewPdude

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M440i
Country flag

TaycanCT4Smissing parts.jpg

Thanks for the info! Can you explain how you found those open campaigns with you VIN? Or how to find any other stop sale items associated with that particular VIN? Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the info! Can you explain how you found those open campaigns with you VIN? Or how to find any other stop sale items associated with that particular VIN? Thanks in advance!!
Someone else in this forums works for Porsche Parts Dept at a dealership and had access to their internal tracking system and sent me a screenshot.

This info is something normally not directly accessible to customers and we have to bug our SAs for this info.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
DerekS on this forum found the retrofit manual for this a while back it seems, as it came up now when googling some partnumbers related to the acoustic simulator.

And it does seem to have a small'ish controle module...that I wasnt able to find in the partscatalogue... This is probable what your car was missing...

Item #6 on the picture on page 2:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183502-0001.pdf
Sponsored

Last edited: