SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
As a global luxury car that is trying to appeal to people globally with the necessary means to purchase it, I respectfully don‘t quite agree with @Mr.Smith. Like I said let’s agree to disagree. I am just not a fan of putting people or cultures in a box and labelling them. But I digress.

Does the side of the car not look like a Rolls Royce Phantom? Tank like.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
With that front end it looks like it would have a Cd of around 0.9?
I know you are probably joking but as long as the front has a reasonably big curve on the sides and top it doesn't influence the drag that much.
What is important is to have no details along the car causing the flow to detatch and make the wake bigger - the drag is equal to the momentum loss in the wake, which won't be of interest to most buyers :), but in summarry anything which keeps the wake as small as possible is good for low drag, and vice versa.

Back when I was a youth in the 60s sports cars were designed with a raked windscreen and to be "aero" looking in side view. This produced lift and needed drag increasing spoilers added.
What is important is to make it as teardrop shaped as practical in plan (from the top) view, so the air goes round the sides thereby producing no lift and not needing a spoiler. Narrower at the rear than the front works too.

The Citroen DS epitomises the "right" way to do aero and was at least 50 years ahead of its time.
Mind you when fuel was super cheap and people wanted a new shape every year aero was not a consideration for many car companies.

erhand25

First Name
Erhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
New 7 series looks like inspired from rolls-royce. Since bmw owns rolls-royce as well. It makes sense why bmw thinks it is the luxury people want imho
Sponsored