Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
I'm going to reserve final judgement until I see it in person but I don't mind how it looks outside and think the interior looks great. We also need to keep in mind that while most of us (myself included) really hated the "Bangle Butt" BMWs initially they sold very well and some, like the E60 5-series have aged pretty well. I owned a E63 series M6 and I grew to like the way it looked quite a bit.

One design philosophy thing that I think is a very smart play is that this front end treatment will be reserved for their top end vehicles only--one issue with Mercedes these days is that C, E and S sedans look largely identical especially the front and rear fascias. For some customers there will be real value in having their "flagship" car being readily identifiable as the flagship.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
the interior looks like my wife's Model 3

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
As a rule of thumb, big grills and heavy tech with captains chair rear seating is for China.

31" 8k theater screen is China

I really don't like the platform sharing architecture for all drive trains BMW is using

tempFileForShare_20220420-074340.jpg
Hi Dude, please don't label China market so easily with your most probably very poor understanding of China market. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean your friends don't like it.

If I would say this car is for US market, because US market prefer the super big, brick cars with a lot of eletronics, will you agree?

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
They could do away with doors at the side of the car to get in and out now and just use the grill as a set of double doors instead.....

Left to go in and right to exit. Like a kitchen in a restaurant.

I hope BMW sell a lot of cars in their target market, cause I sure as 5hit won't be buying one nowadays.
Real shame - as I always loved them. Wife still has an X2.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Dude, please don't label China market so easily with your most probably very poor understanding of China market. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean your friends don't like it.

If I would say this car is for US market, because US market prefer the super big, brick cars with a lot of eletronics, will you agree?
Given that China is BMWs biggest market by far, I suspect they are designing for what they think folks in China want. Whether that matches actual Chinese tastes is a different matter.

(source:https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/01/12/china-bmw-sales-2021/)

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag

I never said I didnt like the car. I actually do like it, especially the new headlights.
I do wish BMW would do a pure EV platform.

I have an understanding of the Chinese market from people I know in China that work with different OEMs and develop auto manufacturing factories.
The Chinese market prefers a lot of tech, interaction with screens.
Being driven is also a big deal in China. This theme is part of many Chinese OEMs interiors.

As far as the large grills, this what auto manufacturers are focusing on for China.

What @fullmetalbaal said is correct. China is BMWs biggest, important market.
China is every car manufacturers focus. Not the US

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
I never said I didnt like the car. I actually do like it, especially the new headlights.
I do wish BMW would do a pure EV platform.

I have an understanding of the Chinese market from people I know in China that work with different OEMs and develop auto manufacturing factories.
The Chinese market prefers a lot of tech, interaction with screens.
Being driven is also a big deal in China. This theme is part of many Chinese OEMs interiors.

As far as the large grills, this what auto manufacturers are focusing on for China.

What @fullmetalbaal said is correct. China is BMWs biggest, important market.
China is every car manufacturers focus. Not the US
Thanks for explaination. The original message a bit of misleading or misunderstood.

I agree with that, BMW is focusing on China market, and in China social media, the comments to the new 7 series are also polarized. But this was always the case when recent new BMW releases.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag

I have to agree with @xqdong that maybe we should not say sweeping statements about a different culture without really understanding that culture. This is an international forum.

Although @xqdong then does the same and throws it over the fence and blames the Americans :)

And so easy to misuse statistics…. if China is BMW’s biggest market, maybe they have to design it for markets where they are losing market share to attract buyers they have lost.

Let’s agree to disagree on cultures. We can AGREE that it is a hideously ugly car!!!!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for explaination. The original message a bit of misleading or misunderstood.

I agree with that, BMW is focusing on China market, and in China social media, the comments to the new 7 series are also polarized. But this was always the case when recent new BMW releases.
I find it really interesting that the recent BMW releases are not necessarily being fully embraced in China.

Makes me wonder even more if its a huge mistake by BMW. I was of the impression that the majority of Chinese loved the new look - and it appears that may not be the case.

Thanks for the input xqdong 👍

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I have to agree with @xqdong that maybe we should not say sweeping statements about a different culture without really understanding that culture. This is an international forum.

Although @xqdong then does the same and throws it over the fence and blames the Americans :)

And so easy to misuse statistics…. if China is BMW’s biggest market, maybe they have to design it for markets where they are losing market share to attract buyers they have lost.

Let’s agree to disagree on cultures. We can AGREE that it is a hideously ugly car!!!!

Not to derail the conversation, but there are cultural difference in regions with cars. A large GMC Yukon with 15 cup holders is an American car, not so much for Switzerland.
There is a reason the VW ID3 is in the European market and not the US market. How can you can say cultural/regional differences are not a part of this?

China is the biggest and one of the fastest growing auto market with heavy Government subsidies for EVs & battery development. Not North America or Europe

If you get into the what OEMs game plan is and how they are atacking it, China is the focus. Talk to people in the industry
Sponsored