The new "My Porsche" app is trash! Oh my.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
The interface is garbage and feature set is pretty basic, but functionality wise I haven’t had any problems with it yet, at least.
Sponsored

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone uninstalled the Porsche connect app and then experienced a loss of functionality? I uninstalled Porsche connect as recommended but it removed smart lift. When I reinstalled Porsche Connect, smart lift came back. Hoping there is a solution for this once I have to uninstall Porsche Connect. I think it is something to do with PCM services and connectivity within My Porsche.

nikc

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo
Country flag
What do people expect an app to do? It tells your the charge and trip data. Allows you to set alarms and preheat. You can send Nav directions and find your car. It also lets you park remote. What else is needed? What amazing functions am I missing in my life via a car app?
Since you ask, and off the top of my head:

- When using a public charger I'd like to set a target charge %, and get notified when the car hits that, so that I don't need to periodically check my phone.

- Reliably show me the charging rates and charging history

- Be a "Share" target from other maps apps, so I can easily find a destination in another app and send it directly to the car from there.

- Provide more filter options for chargers when looking at maps (e.g., only show IONITY chargers, only insert IONITY chargers as charging stops in routes that are greater than the car's range, etc)

- Make more data about charging sessions available for analysis (external temperature, battery temperature, charge at start of session/end of session, estimated range at start/end of session, power draw over the life of the charge)

- Reliably share destinations from the app to the car (it's still hit and miss, which is inexcusable if the phone has a bluetooth / wifi / wired connection to the car)

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I can clearly list my complaints:

- Charging setup (things like Timers) are now buried and take many (slow) taps to access
- My car shows a 'charging error' every time I bring up the app. No such errors in the car itself.
- Continues like the previous app to be INSANELY S---L---O---W at accessing car data
- Frequently logs me out
- Login process gets interrupted by cookie notice (that's just bad design)
- Charging?

The app feels unfinished to me, but things like burying the e-mobility features make it feel like it wasn't designed with EVs specifically in mind. That's kind of a huge oversight for a company that's trying to move to EV-dominant sales.

OP
OP
mod72346

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
What is most frustrating for me, is that Porsche stopped updating the "old" app for at least 6 months.. and that would be fine, knowing that they were working on a "new" one.....

BUT they just replaced a turd with a sh*t sandwich.

I would expect some heads to roll in their software department management, because this is gross incompetence and a brown stain on the Porsche brand.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
What do people expect an app to do? It tells your the charge and trip data. Allows you to set alarms and preheat. You can send Nav directions and find your car. It also lets you park remote. What else is needed? What amazing functions am I missing in my life via a car app?
I can only give my view what was Essential in the app and some items that were useful to have. I will list them below.

But in general I must say I am extremely disappointed with the Porsche release of apps and functionality. I had more reliable connections in my BMW from 2011 than what I have in my 2020 Taycan! That is an achievement in itself. Every new release of their apps now has taken away some features that were in the previous version.

Essential Taycan app function ( NOT available in MyPorsche app)
  • Being able to scan the QR code on the charger since Plug and Charge was not available in 2020. And my Porsche Charging Card has stopped functioning and awaiting a new one.
  • Preheating/cooling. Easy to change temperature and also determine which seats I want preheated.
  • Seeing and finding charging stations in map view. Essential when travelling and planning a days trip. Was available in Connect.
  • Seeing how many chargers are installed and available at each station. So you avoid driving to a place like Total that have 1 (one) 50 kW charger installed!
  • Planning a route and to see where to charge and also info on stations to avoid the above, which Porsche seem to favour.
  • No traffic info when planning a route.
Missing Functions from previous Connect app
  • No tyre pressure info any longer
  • Previous trip reports re consumption and speed etc. Now only the last trip available.
  • No way of setting Valet alarm any longer.
  • Difficult to see when last contact between car and Porsche servers was established.
Not to mention that when ordering the car I had a demonstration of the Connect app on a Cayenne Hybrid. There you had Lock/Unlock functions, Horn sound, Flashing lights. and som e more.

The last couple of features were really useful if I had to leave early in the morning and parked the car somewhere and somebody came to pick it up later. Could flash the lights to help with finding the car.

Why do we have to be content with Porsche reducing functionality with a new app. In real life you always strive for Continous Improvements and want to do better!

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Maybe people expect it to work? I use it daily to preheat and it works about 40% of the time (same with the old app).

SHM

First Name
oOo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But the other EV brand seems to pay more attention to what their customers are saying.
Next to the bugs, there are many 'usability problems' reported for a long time, that have not been addressed either. (simple example: not persistently storing the break recuperation setting)

It is just not acceptable for a 'premium' brand in 2022. Tesla raised the bar, Porsche needs to wake up.
Yes, there is no excuse for so bad software in 2022. If they cant code it, at least do outsource it to a competent software house with good experience in UXD.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
The new app definitely has buried some key functions. For me I mostly use it to 1) pre-heat the car and 2) charge on the road. Charging in both the new app and the old app is harder than some of the 3rd party apps. At EvGo and ChargePoint I just pull up to the charger, tap my phone on the charging station and start charging. It has never been that easy with Porsche Charging or My Porsche, particularly if internet is sketchy (which seems to be the case at the Electrify America stations I visit). FYI - I have a 2020 so I need the app to activate charging.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
I dont think the new app is horrible, but it definitely could use some improvement. With my 2020, it hasn’t given me too many issues. It generally tells me correctly what my charge level is and range, lets me set timers (tho I cant find where to set the actual temperature for pre-heating), and when using EA chargers, it lets me activate the stations (tho it falsely shows stations as unavailable at several different chargers, but it will activate them anyway). I would like additional features, like locking/unlocking, windows rolling down and integration with other apps, but I think some of those are limitations of the 2020 vs the newer cars. I think Porsche needs to invest more time and resources into their software, as it’s now just a big a piece of their cars as their engineering of the vehicle itself. There are other car maker apps and software that are light years ahead of Porsche, but even with that I’m very happy with this car, but like some others have said, they can take the time to do both and give a very solid software experience to match their superior hardware experience.

lsbusymom

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 2020
Country flag
The one I have for my BMW is sooo much better. I can open windows, unlock my car and set a time and profile that actually works. I have spent hours trying to program my husband's Taycan to charge starting at just after midnight and stop charging at 80 % by 7 am. No matter how it is set, it starts to charge as soon as I plug it in (and yes, DC is not selected!?). I really don't want it to start charging at 3 pm when it is 90 degrees outside.

And, yes, you need to be able to unlock a Porsche via an app if possible. Ever let your Taycan sit for a few weeks? Turns out the smaller battery will discharge and you need to jump through a bunch of hoops to break into your car. It's a call to AAA, Porsche Roadside Assistance or trying to
crawl around on the floor of your car.

Apple maps, google maps and Waze all have directions and find my car.

Locating charging and charging through the app is the only thing that works fairly well.

Last edited:

lsbusymom

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 2020
Country flag

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
There are a few special features which add functionality to BEV ownership and My Porsche manages to provide the ones I consider essential. Beyond that, I suppose my expectations are lower than some folks since, somehow, I've managed to own and enjoy driving dozens of cars over the years without the assistance of any app at all. ;)

clivep

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2021
Country flag
I have contacted Porsche UK directly about the software and the App (which I think is particularly poor for a car of this quality) and received no response (Smart Mobility in Germany appear not to give them) so I posted a negative review of Porsche Connect some time ago. However it did work and it was useful...it had flaws, many of which could have been easily removed.
I switched to My Porsche, anticipating an improvement but was appalled at the loss of functionality. This is a PR app and is not Taycan specific.
The Forum has covered this elsewhere and those of you who have not seen the need for the App have been missing out. I contacted Porsche again, twice and this time received responses (including via Playstore) - largely apologies with no timescales for promised improvements. As a result I have returned to Connect and warned Porsche not to stop supporting it because My Porsche is not fit for purpose.
For information, I have copied the perceived shortcomings of My Porsche below (these are not exhaustive, acknowledgements to other Forum users who I cherry picked from). For me the most fundamental shortcoming is in relation to the Charging Planner, without which batteries are not preconditioned on arrival at public charging stations. Even using Connect (or Porsche Charging App which I prefer) it is not possible to edit the itinerary produced by the Charging Planner to substitute charging stations that suit your plans better (they are recorded as stopovers but not charging stops). It also does not provide real-time charging history (Porsche Charging App does).
Message to Porsche UK and via Playstore:
The Porsche Connect App had flaws but was manageable and it has suddenly been replaced by My Porsche which is not even adequate as a Beta version. It claims to combine the various Porsche Apps, particularly the Porsche Charging app and Connect but in reality this is not the case, the Discover section has been added but marketing material of this nature is not desirable in the app. It does not contain the Good to Know app material which would be useful.
The My Porshe App has lost many useful features:

• No control of windows, parking brake or parking light (only heating and door locking) although still shown on Connect web page.
  • No Sound Horn or Flash Lights (to find vehicle in car park) - these are still shown on Porsche Connect web page.
  • Info displayed in Trip Data is reduced in My Porsche - only displaying the last trip/since charge/total trip and no function to scan through previous trips (as on Connect App and Connect web page).
  • No ability to display predicted range on the map.
  • No display of tyre pressures
  • Seems to have lost Valet Alarm feature on tracker.
  • No ability to edit or use charging profiles or add a new one.
  • Charging is over complex and yet does not match user needs eg cheap tariff matching. Profiles should not be necessary (which may be why they do not operate on the new app!) but it is the only way I can achieve cheap tariff charging and preconditioning automatically.
  • Charging planning generally is very poor: most charging locations are not provided on the app. It is not possible to view and filter charging destinations unless a "dummy" destination is put in and then "nearby" destinations are searched for. The charging planner software is weak because it is not possible to select most chargers as recharging stopovers which is essential to optimise preconditioning. I have used the Porsche Charging app for this purpose although it is still weak for planning because it is not possible to edit stopovers to override poor choices in the algorithm.
  • The Porsche Destination charger locations have either postcodes or "to be named" as entries so it is impossible to know what they are!
  • There is no Charging History! I have to switch to the Porsche Charging App to see this. DO NOT withdraw Porsche Charging App.
  • There are probably many other shortfalls/flaws, this is not exhaustive.