f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Driving a “assisted driving” car feels to me like it would be like sitting next to a novice learner driver and worrying what they may do next and having to be ready to take the control at any unexpected moment.

I don’t see that as even remotely relaxing myself. It would certainly be massively more stressful than driving myself!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Driving a “assisted driving” car feels to me like it would be like sitting next to a novice learner driver and worrying what they may do next and having to be ready to take the control at any unexpected moment.

I don’t see that as even remotely relaxing myself. It would certainly be massively more stressful than driving myself!
+1 and why I didn't spec ALK nor Innodrive - simply have zero interest in a self driving car - if I need that there's trains, buses and Ubers :)!

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
i hate tesla as much as the next guy but the guy who paid for that super bowl ad has a stake in a company that produces opposing technology to Tesla Autopilot/FSD so he can't really be trusted.

If the system works as designed, its great. On super long roadtrips, having 100% focus on the road is just not possible and having the car keep itself centered in the lane is a very useful feature. So is traffic aware cruise control.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i hate tesla as much as the next guy but the guy who paid for that super bowl ad has a stake in a company that produces opposing technology to Tesla Autopilot/FSD so he can't really be trusted.

If the system works as designed, its great. On super long roadtrips, having 100% focus on the road is just not possible and having the car keep itself centered in the lane is a very useful feature. So is traffic aware cruise control.
Different strokes/different folks I guess but couldn't disagree more re focus in my personal experience - my brain actually focuses better on such long trips and I find it very easy to keep focus on driving as a singular activity without the need for distraction - I find it 'calming' (and not sleep inducing :)!) focusing on that specific task - but entirely understand that everyone's experience likely different.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would still be sh1tting myself the car would do something unexpected. I don’t do many long trips per year but have always stopped if I thought my attention was wandering.
You can write what you like but my first experience of traffic aware cruise control in the car was my first realisation that for me personally these automated systems are more scary than I want.
I specified neither adaptive cruise nor innodrive for my Taycan and finding driving it much more relaxing and confidence inspiring than the cars I have had with adaptive cruise.

The problem is “if the system works as designed”!
Generally the systems do work as designed but often the design of the system does not cover every eventuality and that is where unexpected response occurs.
The device instigates exactly what the programme calls for and if the expectation is wrong so is the response.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Different strokes/different folks I guess but couldn't disagree more re focus in my personal experience - my brain actually focuses better on such long trips and I find it very easy to keep focus on driving as a singular activity without the need for distraction - I find it 'calming' (and not sleep inducing :)!) focusing on that specific task - but entirely understand that everyone's experience likely different.
Me too. I am good at concentrating, I have Aspergers.

I do find the sound system distracting in some circumstances but I just switch it off.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

have you ever driven a tesla with auto pilot engaged? I bet that you haven't.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
The problem is “if the system works as designed”!
Generally the systems do work as designed but often the design of the system does not cover every eventuality and that is where unexpected response occurs.
The device instigates exactly what the programme calls for and if the expectation is wrong so is the response.
Man people are really coming at me here haha. Adaptive Cruise Control has been a mainstay feature of most vehicles over the last 10 years, its not a controversial option. Its actually standard on most cars really, Porsche is just special.

If it doesn't help you guys drive, then sure whatever. Thats cool. It helps a lot of people drive. I for one would get super annoyed having to constantly readjust my speed in traffic, especially stop and go traffic. A lot of people here would feel the same. I bet a poll would show the majority of people have spec-ed ACC. Im fine with ditching my Tesla and moving to porsche despite giving up autopilot because driving is fun. But i'm not going to pretend ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Programs) aren't useful, because they are for a lot of people. It's certainly helped me and others avoid crashes on several close calls.

From the reviews i've seen of Innodrive and ALK, i can see why there is a lot of skepticism regarding the feature because people who don't drive porsches everyday say that Porsche's iteration is subpar compared to other manufacturers. Its one of the reasons i didn't spec innodrive on my upcoming Taycan.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thats cool. It helps a lot of people drive. I for one would get super annoyed having to constantly readjust my speed in traffic,
In heavy stop-start traffic was the only time I felt adaptive cruise was worthwhile. In light traffic it was often plain wrong, suddenly slowing or speeding up by misreading traffic which was super annoying for me.

Mind you I only drive in heavy traffic half a dozen times a year so the plus is hugely outweighed by the minus for me.
If you live in a very congested area and have to travel at bad times it may be worthwhile - it may even be for me…

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In heavy stop-start traffic was the only time I felt adaptive cruise was worthwhile. In light traffic it was often plain wrong, suddenly slowing or speeding up by misreading traffic which was super annoying for me.
Agreed. I love it in heavy slow traffic when I’m staying in one lane, but in other situations I’ve had all sorts of weird behavior. The scariest came last week in freeway traffic. I had it set at 65, my lane slowed and I was going about 25, car passes on the left at about 35 and I decide to change lanes behind it. As my car is changing lanes, the ACC senses the open space between lanes and interprets it as an open lane, and begins accelerating hard. As soon as I’m in the new lane, flying at the car in front of me, it senses that car, which is now rapidly slowing and slams on the brakes. I nearly shit myself.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Man people are really coming at me here haha.

I bet a poll would show the majority of people have spec-ed ACC.

But i'm not going to pretend ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Programs) aren't useful, because they are for a lot of people. It's certainly helped me and others avoid crashes on several close calls.

From the reviews i've seen of Innodrive and ALK, i can see why there is a lot of skepticism regarding the feature because people who don't drive porsches everyday say that Porsche's iteration is subpar compared to other manufacturers. Its one of the reasons i didn't spec innodrive on my upcoming Taycan.
No one's "coming at you" - folk are simply sharing an opposing opinion - if thats not to your comfort then a forum might not be the place for you :)!

No one's asking you to "pretend ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Programs) aren't useful" - you're entirely entitled to your opinion.

And finally "because people who don't drive porsches everyday say that Porsche's iteration is subpar" - I'm guessing people who don't drive Porsches everyday are likely not the ones to ask :) -

ACC, sa you say, different again and whilst it may be commonly spec'd thats no guarantee that its used - want to say in my orig config it was lumped with a package and not a standalone option (honestly can't recall) - but I know I've not used it once!

My guess is a poll of whether folk bought a Porsche to use ALK or Innodrive might not turn out in favor of them but you can certainly put one out there.

Anyway, all simply alternative viewpoints - none of this is personal and if ADAP is you thing then rock on :)
Sponsored

Reactions: B61