The sweet spot between the Taycan GTS and the Panamera GTS is NOT a GTS according to Porsche

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The GTS being the sweet spot in each Porsche model's range is an oft-stated opinion of fans and the motoring press (personally, I disagree- at least for the Taycan, I think it's the 4S, but that's beside the point for this thread) so Porsche's recently declared sweetspot between the Taycan GTS and the Panamera GTS might surprise-

Porsche Taycan The sweet spot between the Taycan GTS and the Panamera GTS is NOT a GTS according to Porsche Porsche Sweet Spot
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Makes sense in a way: the Panamera 4S E-Hybrid delivers similar performance to both GTS's but bridges ICE and EV by having both modes of propulsion. Question is: does this make it the best or the worst of both worlds?

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
It is the sweet spot in terms of performance but it’s also a sweet spot for Porsche in terms of what they charge for the Pan 4S E-hybrid and the amount the charge for maintenance and repairs. I am sure they would love to sell hybrids indefinitely. Part of the reason I went to full EV is to get away from Porsche nonsense on maintenance.

Had Porsche not been so awful on maintenance of my Pan 4S, my next car would have been the 4S E-hybrid ST with the 2.9 bi-turbo engine. It’s a great machine in a lot of ways and offers more useable space than Taycan CT/ST.

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Makes sense in a way: the Panamera 4S E-Hybrid delivers similar performance to both GTS's but bridges ICE and EV by having both modes of propulsion. Question is: does this make it the best or the worst of both worlds?
It is the sweet spot in terms of performance but it’s also a sweet spot for Porsche in terms of what they charge for the Pan 4S E-hybrid and the amount the charge for maintenance and repairs. I am sure they would love to sell hybrids indefinitely. Part of the reason I went to full EV is to get away from Porsche nonsense on maintenance. Had Porsche not been so awful on maintenance of my Pan 4S, my next car would have been the 4S E-hybrid ST with the 2.9 bi-turbo engine. It’s a great machine in a lot of ways and offers more useable space than Taycan CT/ST.
I came to the Taycan after nearly 3 years with a Cayenne E-hybrid (current model but with the earlier, smaller capacity, battery). I thought it was very accomplished, and on longer journeys without plugging in it achieved parable fuel consumption to the non-hybrid version (so range wasn't the consideration that it is now planning journeys in the Taycan). Its 0-60 performance wasn't far off the Taycan 4S on paper, but a test drive in the Taycan blew me away with the nature of its power delivery. Most notably though, I found myself using the full hybrid performance less and less because I enjoyed the serenity of full electric mode so much, so I was wasting the car's potential. In my case, the hybrid had become a stepping stone to full EV.
That said, the Panamera 4S E-hybrid is on a different level of performance, I might have been tempted but for the price plus concerns over maintenance costs. I agree that it's significantly roomier and potentially more luxurious than the Taycan. I prefer the Taycan's looks though.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I came to the Taycan after nearly 3 years with a Cayenne E-hybrid (current model but with the earlier, smaller capacity, battery). I thought it was very accomplished, and on longer journeys without plugging in it achieved parable fuel consumption to the non-hybrid version (so range wasn't the consideration that it is now planning journeys in the Taycan). Its 0-60 performance wasn't far off the Taycan 4S on paper, but a test drive in the Taycan blew me away with the nature of its power delivery. Most notably though, I found myself using the full hybrid performance less and less because I enjoyed the serenity of full electric mode so much, so I was wasting the car's potential. In my case, the hybrid had become a stepping stone to full EV.
That said, the Panamera 4S E-hybrid is on a different level of performance, I might have been tempted but for the price plus concerns over maintenance costs. I agree that it's significantly roomier and potentially more luxurious than the Taycan. I prefer the Taycan's looks though.
So, hybrids are a gateway drug to BEV’s?

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
So, hybrids are a gateway drug to BEV’s?
😄
At least in my case. Though I'd originally planned to jump straight from ICE to EV, intending to order the i-Pace on launch, I concluded that the charging infrastructure made it too impractical an option at that time, so I got a Cayenne e-Hybrid instead. Taking that in for its first service- with no intention of changing it- I was offered a test drive in their newly arrived 4S CT demonstrator, so "I tried it just out of curiosity" (running with your analogy)- and yes, I did inhale the full launch experience, which was enough to make me order one, thinking that with an expected lead time of at least 12 months, I'd have plenty of time to monitor charging infrastructure developments and if necessary get my deposit back. 12 months have passed (it actually arrived 6 months ago) and if anything the uptake of EVs is outstripping the expansion of infrastucture over here. But my addiction to EV power has made me overlook that negative.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
😄
At least in my case. Though I'd originally planned to jump straight from ICE to EV, intending to order the i-Pace on launch, I concluded that the charging infrastructure made it too impractical an option at that time, so I got a Cayenne e-Hybrid instead. Taking that in for its first service- with no intention of changing it- I was offered a test drive in their newly arrived 4S CT demonstrator, so "I tried it just out of curiosity" (running with your analogy)- and yes, I did inhale the full launch experience, which was enough to make me order one, thinking that with an expected lead time of at least 12 months, I'd have plenty of time to monitor charging infrastructure developments and if necessary get my deposit back. 12 months have passed (it actually arrived 6 months ago) and if anything the uptake of EVs is outstripping the expansion of infrastucture over here. But my addiction to EV power has made me overlook that negative.
Quite a love story...
Sponsored